sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2016 10:11 pm  #1

How Did SportsNet’s World Hockey Wind Up On AM640?

With the Blue Jays taking up space on The Fan 590, it may be another case of Rogers having too many rights to too many events. Which may explain how The World Cup of Hockey had to go somewhere else. But why Corus? The games, clearly identified as being on the SportsNet Radio Network, aired on AM640 and on CHML Sunday.

But aren’t there enough Rogers stations to take the feed? Surely one of the many they have could have taken a game with such high interest, (and no I'm not calling anyone here "Shirley.") I well recall in the past when I think it was a Blue Jays game went to CFTR when there was a conflict with the Leafs (or was it the other way around?). As big a fan as I am of consistency, I can’t help but wonder how the SportsNet games wound up on Corus, instead of one (or some) of their own outlets.

I'd be curious to know how these deals get made.

September 18, 2016 11:15 pm  #2

Re: How Did SportsNet’s World Hockey Wind Up On AM640?

RadioActive wrote:

How big of a ratings draw is the world cup of hockey? Higher than 680 news ratings?
680 only carried leafs hockey because they held high ratings as they managed to make it into the playoffs that year, and ONLY during the playoffs.
(Hey? Making it to the playoffs is big news anyway, right? lol) 

Is this a ratings issue, maybe?
(with Corus believing that WCH ratings are still better than what they would have normally, maybe?)

"Listen to the World cup of Hockey on AM640..." http://www.640toronto.com/wch2016/

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 18, 2016 11:16 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 18, 2016 11:28 pm  #3

Anything that replaces Coast to Coast is a good thing : ) 

September 19, 2016 1:47 pm  #4

They're also pissing off the handful of listeners they have on "All traffic all the time" AM730 here in Vancouver by running those games.

September 19, 2016 4:49 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

I like hockey.  I still mourn the loss of Leafs Lunch and my main man, Wilbur Watters, who now is with Frank D'Angelo.

​My money is all on Cam Stewart the Ragin' Redhead

September 20, 2016 10:11 pm  #6

I wondered too. Couple things came to mind. Remember how poorly received the Leafs on Q107 was, and then imagine same for the Rogers FM properties, aven for the relatively short period in comparison.

680 got a in similar squawk when they did since some sporting event or other too, didn't they?

AM signal still has bigger range than either FM property too, I suppose. You can't offer it to your direct competition, so you try to work something out with your partner in various ventures, and fellow cable monopolist, Shaw/Corus in return for future considerations.

September 21, 2016 4:28 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

verger wrote:

You can't offer it to your direct competition, so you try to work something out with your partner in various ventures, and fellow cable monopolist, Shaw/Corus in return for future considerations.

They all own shares in each other... so they are really just helping themselves... 

September 21, 2016 7:52 pm  #8

Interesting how the CRTC dictates that it's two AM and Two FM max ownership in the Toronto market, but there's nothing to prevent Rogers or bell from renting AM 640...if need be.
(not saying that's what they're doing...just saying they can...)

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 21, 2016 7:53 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 21, 2016 8:42 pm  #9

It got just plain silly on Wednesday night, when - after an extra inning Jays game ended - AM 640 and the Fan 590 both wound up airing the exact same hockey game, one on a seven second or more delay. So I guess if you miss a play, you can jump from 590 to 640 and hear it all over again.

"Curioser and curioser," said Alice.  

Last edited by RadioActive (September 21, 2016 8:43 pm)