sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2016 10:51 pm  #1

MAYBO RETIRES !!!

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome Chris Mayberry to the land of leisure !!

Maybo retired a scant ten days ago !!

I see he is already fully qualified for retirement as he's publically admitted that he's "lazy"...

That admission entitles him to an automatic V.I.P. membership  and two free lap dances !!

Welcome to the club Maybo !!!

It just seems like yesterday I watched you banging the hell out of the seat bottoms during a ruckus at a Knights game some 40 or more years ago at the old London Gardens !

I believe you were sitting in the end greens (the cheap seats) at the time !

Enjoy !!

Last edited by unclefester (September 11, 2016 12:33 am)

September 11, 2016 7:29 am  #2

Re: MAYBO RETIRES !!!

Congratulations Chris!

You are now officially a CP-BN "Geezer" which entitles you to many happy days as a retired ex-CP-BNer (and lots of liquid refreshmenr of the adult variety on those cold winter nights when in the past you'd be traipsing down to 36 King).

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 11, 2016 9:03 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 11, 2016 7:50 am  #3

Congrats to both Maybo and Dobber.  I had the privilege of working with both.  Maybo briefly as I was just starting, and Dobson for a number of years in Toronto.   Both were true professionals who cared about what they did.I am so happy that they had the opportunity to leave on their own terms when they were ready to go, and not have the plugs pulled on their careers by some dim witted pin headed idiots like what happened to many other good broadcasters.  Relax and enjoy to both.  This business continues in its rapid decline because of the loss of people like you.

September 11, 2016 8:09 am  #4

Maybo...get 2 pair of sunglasses.

And then?  Wear 'em...one at a time of course.  But keep the other pair handy.  Your future looks ever-so bright.

September 12, 2016 3:01 am  #5

LMAO, unc! 
Yep, that was me in the London Gardens corner greens for years on end from high school on to college.  Then I graduated to the press box where I learned the art of impartiality!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  It was time.  Today's "journalism" doesn't need the likes of me! 😊

September 12, 2016 8:16 am  #6

First of all, I would just like to say that Maybo was one of the nicest and happiest people I ever worked with in my career.  Always smiling, always positive.

Chris your too young to retire!  Seriously it's great for Chris; but the industry's loss.  Enjoy Chris. 
Your the Man!! 😀😂

September 12, 2016 8:34 am  #7

John D wrote:

First of all, I would just like to say that Maybo was one of the nicest and happiest people I ever worked with in my career. Always smiling, always positive.

Chris your too young to retire! Seriously it's great for Chris; but the industry's loss. Enjoy Chris.
Your the Man!! 😀😂

Chris brought a smile to my face everytime he walked into the CP-BN newsroom. We have similar passions for radio, '50s-'60s music and sports so we had great conversations. Have a great and happy retirement Chris - and just think - no more Christmas skeds!

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 12, 2016 6:15 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 12, 2016 6:02 pm  #8

Thanks John & Dale....Always some laughs, weren't there?  

September 12, 2016 6:59 pm  #9

King Perry-tribute Facebook

Maybo...did you forget to look at the picture at the top of that page ???? Hmmm ???

Why yes you did !! That's not a good sign....

Take a look and  i.d. those cats will you please...

Like I said I've got about half of them...

Last edited by unclefester (September 12, 2016 7:00 pm)

September 12, 2016 11:01 pm  #10

I've spent some time giving this some careful thought.  There is only ONE negative in terms of Chris' pulling the plug on the industry.  Just 1 really.

I feel badly for those who never had a chance to work with him.  Maybo IS the epitome of a team player and it was a privilege to have had the opportunity to 'suit up' with him.

Thanks my friend.

September 13, 2016 5:44 pm  #11

grilled.cheese wrote:

RIP

Not dead yet!

OC -- Ditto with you.  And the great thing we had there was that we WERE a team.  There was just one clique at that station and everyone was in it.  Loved that!

unc -- I did remember to check out the photo -- just forgot to reply.  Let's see.  Larry Douglas is being identified as being just to Larry Mac's left.  I thought it was John Hancock but that was a year before my time there.  Middle row from left is King Perry, and two over on his left are, in order, Roger A (Albini), Andy Sparling and (I think) Bobby Steele.  Tim McCallum is second from the left in the top row, which also includes Peter Garland and Jim Craig (on far right).  The ravages of age are costing me memories of the others I may have known.    

September 13, 2016 11:01 pm  #12

Glad you saw that photo Chris...

Last guy on the  right in the second row second row is Reid McWilliams a.k.a. Rick Jansen in St. Thomas...don't know what he was called at 'SL...

And do you think Ray Wilmot is in that picture ??...I think he may be in the back row 3rd from the left...but I'm not sure...

All the other guys you nailed and they were the ones I picked out as well...

Chris I wanted to ask you if Roberta and John Hancock are still married ?? Roberta worked in copy I think and when Hancock came to the station they fell in lust and the rest is history...

Also did you work with Tom Kelly and/or David Kay ?? David Kay (John McEwen) went to Global television when it first started and had a long career there. I still see his name on the credits on some of the old old game shows and such that run these days...VTR operator I think...but I'm not too much of a tv guy...just had a cold cup of coffee long ago...

September 13, 2016 11:19 pm  #13

unc, John and Roberta are still happily married!  Saw them a few years ago in London.
Not sure about Ray in that photo.  Might be, but couldn't swear to it...
I don't remember David -- and again, that may be the old age thing -- but worked for years with Tom Kelly, who delivered one of the great intros I had ever heard when "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" came out: "Here's Gordon Lightfoot's latest, the sad tale of a bunch or guys who didn't have their ship together."  

I almost drove off the road in gales of helpless laughter...

Last edited by maybo (September 13, 2016 11:21 pm)

September 13, 2016 11:23 pm  #14

Hey Chris.
Congratulations.

I'd wish you happy retirement but to be honest I don't. I hope you rest up for a while, miss it, and get back on the horse in some manner sooner than later.

The talent bank is too shallow out there to lose one of the really good guys.

Ig

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 15, 2016 12:40 am  #15

Many thanks, Iain!

Appreciate the kind words.  But with radio journalism in the state it's in with $ decisions trumping integrity, I think I'll be content to simply listen from the sidelines.  

September 15, 2016 8:36 am  #16

There are still newsrooms with integrity out there Chris.  They're just NOT owned by the big corporations who have to look after their own secret 'agendae' along with those of their fellow one-legged 'buccaneers' and eye-patch wearers/parrot carriers.

And the CRTC set all of this up...at least here in Canada.  So this plundering of the public interest and hiding of the various and sundry truths and realities which affect us and our wallets is really rather government endorsed.

So?  When it comes to radio?  Go small or go home.

September 17, 2016 7:24 pm  #17

Very true, OC.  Might be worth my while to investigate.