sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2016 2:12 pm  #1

Peter Mansbridge repacements

Bland is good, not-male is better: A shortlist of possible Peter Mansbridge replacements
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/bland-is-good-not-male-is-better-a-shortlist-of-possible-peter-mansbridge-replacements

Ian Hanomansing - clear front runner - see reasons stated in the article.
Wendy Mesley - her wry smile and squeaky voice makes the Devil blush (shivers)
David Common - reminds me of those pompous and preppy private high school guys I hate
Rosemary Barton - recently came from CTV and seems to really dig the Power & Politics gig she inherited from Evan Solomon, she is fluently bilingual too.
Kim Brunhuber - see Shad

Paul Hunter is disqualified cause he's old and white (like most of you reading this) and Susan Bonner, Diana Swain, Heather Hiscox and Susan Ormiston are all long in the tooth, and God knows they ain't bringing back Amanda Lang.

They might ask someone out of left field (left suits the Corps after all) - maybe Adrienne Arsenault but she might like the field work too much?

Considering CTV (LaFlamme) and Global (Friesen) have gone with female chief anchor/senior editor/best War of the Worlds teleprompter readers recently I'm thinking the Corps might stick with a guy, but who knows?...after all they've had a dude in The National chair since day 1.

September 9, 2016 3:21 pm  #2

Re: Peter Mansbridge repacements

Let's go with the Russian solution.  Nude news.  With what 'they've' done with news...and its credibility?  It really just doesn't matter anymore.

[and CBC, historically, had no cred to begin with.]

September 9, 2016 5:11 pm  #3

I would LOVE to see the CBC actually try something that no one else is doing....

A national news anchor who is non-caucasian with credibility, and polish, but personable delivery. Even a 2 anchor setup would be nice with the news hosted outside Toronto giving a true Canada wide perspective.(I give Global Credit for trying this by the way)

A dual Anchor in multi-cities (one WEST and one EAST) would tie together what the CBC is supposed to be.

With tight budgets, and on a network where STANDING in one place without a table or desk was just too much for some viewers to handle and they had to go back to standing behind a desk or sitting, I have little faith that we will see much of a change from what we are getting now except a new MALE WHITE FACE on the screen.

Last edited by radiokid (September 9, 2016 5:14 pm)

September 11, 2016 10:22 pm  #4

radiokid wrote:

I would LOVE to see the CBC actually try something that no one else is doing....

A national news anchor who is non-caucasian with credibility, and polish, but personable delivery. Even a 2 anchor setup would be nice with the news hosted outside Toronto giving a true Canada wide perspective.(I give Global Credit for trying this by the way)

A dual Anchor in multi-cities (one WEST and one EAST) would tie together what the CBC is supposed to be.

With tight budgets, and on a network where STANDING in one place without a table or desk was just too much for some viewers to handle and they had to go back to standing behind a desk or sitting, I have little faith that we will see much of a change from what we are getting now except a new MALE WHITE FACE on the screen.

Here's the article most of those ideas came from.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/wade-rowland/peter-mansbridge-retires_b_11882168.html

The National gets ratings that aren't far behind CTV even while competing against prime time shows on the other networks.  They have broken a few big stories over the summer and also do good long form reporting and  they take the show to different parts of the country.  If it ain't broke...