sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2016 9:15 pm  #1

Kitchener Station Wants To Charge Volunteers To Work There

CKWR-FM insists it can no longer afford to have people using its equipment if they don't pay for the privilege - even if some of them do shows for the station. 

Community radio station wants to charge volunteers

September 10, 2016 9:51 pm  #2

Re: Kitchener Station Wants To Charge Volunteers To Work There

isn't that technically brokered programming then?  In direct contravention of the CRTC regs surrounding volunteers and community radio stations?

September 10, 2016 9:53 pm  #3

Take their license away first thing tomorrow.  Period.

September 11, 2016 1:05 am  #4

They want to charge volunteers for their time while they still have paid staff on-air during the day.

Then again, this is the station that actually had Bob Dearborn on staff for a while.

If, perhaps, they did away with paid on-air staff, that might just help the situation.

September 11, 2016 7:52 am  #5

Headline should read - Radio station tries to solve serious problem - people don't like it.

I'm guessing the time period where the paid staff are on the air, is likely the time period that has the highest likelihood of having paid commercials and the timeslots that are being asked to pay - likely have zero chance of having paid commercials.

The headline should be:  stuff costs money.

So, would I pay 10 and hour to have a radio station to myself?  Yes.    More fun than a movie once a week.
I pay 10 buck to play shinny hockey.   No one is revolting.
If the volunteers appreciate having the opportunity - they'll pay for the cause.  If they think they're stars, they're fooling themselves.

September 11, 2016 8:16 am  #6

It's a great headline for a skidding industry.  And I'll bet it was never mentioned that they'd go THIS route when these 'folks' applied for the license...which is really only theirs' on loan.  They need to relinquish their grip on it...as do many other companies for varying reasons.

Audiences deserve better.  So too do communities.

September 11, 2016 4:28 pm  #7

>> Community radio station wants to charge volunteers <<

Geez!! What's next? Negative interest rates at the bank, or something...

September 11, 2016 4:34 pm  #8

Now that I think of it, I worked for about the same money at CKKW in 1961.

September 11, 2016 6:34 pm  #9

RadioQuiz wrote:

So, would I pay 10 and hour to have a radio station to myself? Yes. More fun than a movie once a week.
I pay 10 buck to play shinny hockey. No one is revolting.
If the volunteers appreciate having the opportunity - they'll pay for the cause. If they think they're stars, they're fooling themselves.

That's where you and I differ. If the station is worthy of staying on the air, it should not be the responsibility of the host(s) to come up with $10 per hour (or any fee for that matter) when they're already volunteering their time as is.

Get rid of (all or most of) the paid staff and go all volunteer if money is so tight.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.