sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2015 1:29 pm  #1

Final Big 500 Countdown Now On As TSN 1150's Line-up Revealed

As "Classic Hits 1150 " literally gets relegated to a thing of the past this coming weekend, the new entity, which debuts Monday, will have a few familiar names behind the mic - including Jim Tatti. Other hosts have been revealed on the TSN 1150 Twitter page. The new all sports format officially debuts at 10 AM on Labour Day.

By the way, the last Big 500 Countdown with veteran personalities began on the station at noon Thursday, with Ted Yates and Shelly Marriage doing the first two hours and Dave Smith, who started in 1972, taking the 2-4 PM shift.  

The Spectator: Hamilton’s all-sports radio station debuts Monday 

Last edited by RadioActive (September 3, 2015 2:36 pm)

September 3, 2015 1:53 pm  #2

Re: Final Big 500 Countdown Now On As TSN 1150's Line-up Revealed

Just been listening for a few minutes. Nice to hear they're not only airing the Big 500 with some of their long time time jocks, but also adding in old jingles and aircheck snippets from the station's past. Fascinating to remember just how good sounding a Top 40 outlet they really were.

Even if you're not a fan of oldies, this is worth a listen for fans of fhe medium. Lotsa radio reminiscing and stories about what went on behind the scenes at CKOC, and updates on "where are they now" of the on-air personalities.

I'm not a big fan of Bell Media, but I have to say I appreciate them letting this legendary station go out in style. 

Last edited by RadioActive (September 3, 2015 2:20 pm)

September 3, 2015 6:42 pm  #3

It was a wonderful send-off. Congratulations to all involved!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 3, 2015 8:51 pm  #4

During the peak of my Top 40 fandom (1966-69) I have to admit that I was mainly a CHUM Bug but I would occasionally tune into to CKFH, CKOC and WKBW and at night to WOWO, WABC and the two big Chicago Top 40 stations.

After my conversion to FM I continued to tune into AM in the car as there was no FM. I remember particularly that during the fall sweeps CKOC had some great countdown specials. Also  really enjoyed Nevin Grant’s "In Touch With Yesterday" segments and their noon Top 10 countdown ( theme based) which ran for many years during the oldies era. 

Not a fan of the classic hits era and I think the oldies format just before was not much better but still sad to see one of the last remaining stations playing music on AM disappear.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 3, 2015 8:58 pm  #5

Fitz wrote:

the two big Chicago Top 40 stations

WLS + WCFL

September 3, 2015 9:53 pm  #6

Video from CHCH:

CKOC Goes Out Rockin'

September 4, 2015 8:09 am  #7

For those of you wondering when the remainder of the countdown is running (as it's running in portions and the times aren't posted on the CKOC website), it resumed shortly after 7am this morning with Chuck Berry's "Rock and Roll Music" and Mike Nabuurs said it will be running until about 7pm tonight, 9am to 7pm on Saturday and noon until approximately 6pm on Sunday.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

September 4, 2015 3:25 pm  #8

You Can't Always Get What You Want

stones

September 4, 2015 3:34 pm  #9

Paul Jeffries wrote:

For those of you wondering when the remainder of the countdown is running (as it's running in portions and the times aren't posted on the CKOC website), it resumed shortly after 7am this morning with Chuck Berry's "Rock and Roll Music" and Mike Nabuurs said it will be running until about 7pm tonight, 9am to 7pm on Saturday and noon until approximately 6pm on Sunday.

PJ

I think they are also counting the Top 50 songs of the countdown on Monday morning as they head toward the 10 a.m. launch of TSN 1150.

September 6, 2015 2:48 pm  #10

The TSN 1150 website is already up:

TSN 1150

September 6, 2015 3:58 pm  #11

Anyone having trouble getting the player to work?  I was hoping to record the last couple of hours, plus the format switch. 

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 6, 2015 4:18 pm  #12

I've found the only reliable stream seems to be the 48K mp3 stream.  I've been capturing that stream 24/7 (in 6 hour chunks) since about 2:00 Thursday afternoon, when I could get home to set it up.

It actually sounds decent -- like an AM monitor right in the studio. 

Edit:  I just realized I forgot to mention where you can find the stream.  Go through tunein radio.  You can find a link to that stream (there's also an aac stream tha was flaky for me) on the CKOC landing page.

Last edited by Peter the K (September 6, 2015 4:53 pm)

September 6, 2015 7:56 pm  #13

SPOILER ALERT!

In care you missed the climax, here's the final Top 10 of The Big 500:

10 Like a Rolling Stone Bob Dylan

9 Bridge Over Troubled Water Simon & Garfunkel

8  Bohemian Rhapsody Queen

7 Good Vibrations The Beach Boys

6 Billie Jean Michael Jackson

5 Stairway to Heaven Led Zeppelin

4 Hotel California Eagles

3 Can't Help Falling In Love Elvis Presley

2 Hey Jude Beatles

1 Satisfaction Rolling Stones

Top 50 to be repeated starting at 6 AM Monday until 10 AM when the all sports format launches.

RIP CKOC

September 6, 2015 7:58 pm  #14

Peter the K wrote:

I've found the only reliable stream seems to be the 48K mp3 stream.  I've been capturing that stream 24/7 (in 6 hour chunks) since about 2:00 Thursday afternoon, when I could get home to set it up.

It actually sounds decent -- like an AM monitor right in the studio. 

Edit:  I just realized I forgot to mention where you can find the stream.  Go through tunein radio.  You can find a link to that stream (there's also an aac stream tha was flaky for me) on the CKOC landing page.

My urologist is obsessed with reliable streams...

September 6, 2015 9:19 pm  #15

It's working.  I was trying to use the player on Precise Puppy Linux on my notebook PC.  It works on Windows though.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 6, 2015 10:11 pm  #16

CKOC was the longest running AM Top 40 station in North America-32 years[Oct 3/60-Feb 14/92] 2nd and 3rd place belong to WHB Kansas City-31 years[1954-85] and CHUM Toronto[1957-86] I also grew up listeining after sunset to Dan Ingram/Cousin Brucie on "MusicRadio77WABC, Larry Lujack/Chuck Buell/Kris Eric Stevens on "The Big 89WLS" and King B-Ron Britain on "SuperCFL" Anyone remember Lujack's "Klunk Letter of the Day? And of course, the Chickenman radio series was born in 1966 at WCFL But that is a topicfor another day.

September 7, 2015 8:19 am  #17

While listening to the Big 500 this weekend, I was reminded yet again of CKOC's heyday.  I was glad to hear Dave Smith (he sounds exactly the same).  I'm glad he remembered some folks like Frank Lyn Cooper, Angus and Dale and Sparky.  I really felt for Ray Michaels when he was on air.  I'd imagine those were difficult moments for him.  And even though Ray wasn't part of the heyday period that I'm referring to, Ray had been apparently trying for a job there for a long time there (since the mid 70s I guess), so I know even he was familiar with the "Ontario's Music Leader" years.  There's no denying that this station meant a great deal to him.

I did notice a few small things that struck me as technically odd when I was listening, only because things were a bit different during CKOC's heyday.  Hearing songs like "High School Confidential" uncensored, or "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" with the intro intact felt weird, because in the early 80s, CKOC never aired those versions.  I know those are teeny tiny things, but they make a great deal of difference to someone who remembers CKOC music.

Even hearing the plain LP version of "In The Air Tonight" on CKOC was different.  Back then, they played the 45rpm remix/edit with the drums throughout.  It was used for the video, so if you YouTube it, you'll hear the version they played in 1981.

Not bad things of course; just not as I remembered it.  I'm sure the original promo 45-rpm discs were sold at record shows long ago.

Nevin even brought up something on the phone with Ray, and it brought back some "technical" recollections.  He was mentioning about past Big 500 countdowns being played straight off 45-rpm singles throughout the show.  I remember hearing the 1981 countdown and I think it was Pete Daly playing "Get Back" by the Beatles.  You could really hear the severe cue burn at the beginning.  And during it's rotation, "Freeze Frame" by J Geils Band had that loud pop once per revolution, towards the end.  Major Ouch!  LOL.

And you know what; I wouldn't have changed it for a second.  I'm glad that CKOC had those technical flaws because somehow, it made them more accessible or "real" perhaps.  It was as if to say, "My favourite radio station had damaged records just like my dad had" ... lol.  I'm not sure if that makes any sense.  It's just they sound more like part of the family, with flaws and blemishes just like any other family member possesses.

Yet this didn't stop them from sounding huge.  It sounded like Hamilton, but bigger.  It was really a "home base" go to place for music.  Sure CFTR was a tad tighter, and Rock 102 sounded way better, but you ALWAYS came home to CKOC.

So I say to Nevin Grant, "Thank you for CKOC".  Thanks for hiring Sparky Bob Sherwin, Dale Parker, Dave Smith, Dave King, Jason Roberts, Pete Daly and Scott Harris (Rappers DeFeet and Beach Bum were unparalleled... lol).  Thanks for Spinerama.  And thank you for making me want to get in to radio in the first place.

CKOC, as it was then, is the closest thing I can think of where a PD gives a "gift" to his audience.  He had to have put a lot of love and care into his station (yes I say "his", because I really think he had to have been responsible for all of the elements that made it what it was).  I'm having a very hard time with the station's disappearance.  It feels like one mourning a death.  It actually aches a little; well, maybe a lot.

I tried to explain what I was feeling to my girlfriend, and god love her, but she just doesn't really get it, you know, but at least she listened.  The only way I could think of comparing was like imagining there was this once famous amusement park that no one really goes to any more.  But you never ever think you'll see it get shut down.  But then it does, and away with it go all of the memories you cherished about it.  I wished someone else got that.  I think Ray Michaels does, maybe even more so than me.  I only know him as an acquaintance, but I'll keep him in my thoughts this weekend.

I guess I better let it go at that and stop rambling.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 7, 2015 11:00 am  #18

I rarely post on Internet message boards and like to keep a low online profile, but I just had to add my two cents here because of your heartfelt post here Jody. Not that I can add much to what you wrote because it was spot-on. It felt like a funeral before the death. When they began playing the old bumpers/jingles the nostalgia was almost overwhelming. The choice of Helen Reddy’s “Delta Dawn” with its almost spiritual acapella opening in particular struck a nerve.

I have 36 years of memories of CKOC and have documented every Big 500 since March 1980. I was a chart geek then and it stuck. I can still rhyme off the early-to-mid ‘80s editions by heart. Family, friends and co-workers think I am nuts, or Rain Man, but I can’t explain why it all stuck. I recall the 1981 edition when they played “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” at #390 and immediately recognized their error when it should have been the flipside “…Standing There” instead. I remember those split-second fuzzy intros as the needle dropped on “Fever”, “Uptight” and “Johnny Angel”, I remember Superstar Match-up and that slightly creepy background music that was used on the 500 as the jocks gave a tidbit or two of trivia about each song. Good times. 

When ‘OC stopped publishing the All Hit 40 take-home charts, I typed my own every Wednesday night and filed them in three-ring duotangs. I still tuned in after the 1992 switch but as the ‘90s wore on, I was not a fan of the Jason Farr era. He seemed ill-suited to the job and one could tell it was just a stepping-stone to him. He was not passionate about the job or the music and that came through over the airwaves IMO.  

I think the station did a reverse Jump-the-Shark in the mid-2000s when anchored by Ted and Ray. Yates’ cerebral approach was the perfect counterpoint to Michaels’ wacky, whimsical on-air persona. Too bad they both got let go. That was really the beginning of the end, along with the switch to Classic Hits.  In the future, every now and then I suppose I will take out some of those old charts and study them and see the cover photos, and it will bring a smile to my face to think of how a simple local radio station made such an impact on my life.

Last edited by KB (September 7, 2015 11:01 am)

September 7, 2015 11:13 am  #19

I found Jody's tribute both heartfelt and somewhat touching. CKOC obviously meant something special to him as a kid. I'm guessing anyone who ever went into radio had a "favourite" station that made us want to work in the industry. But what Mr. Thornton's message also shows is how different things are now than when some of us were dreaming of sitting in a station one day.

CHUM was what made me want to be in radio. I never got to work there, but I was at CFTR during its Top 40 heyday, competing against my childhood icon. And I still remember what a thrill it was when I walked through those doors and out the elevator at 25 Adelaide St. E. that very first day. 

But that's what's changed. Radio was a different creature back then. It mattered more. I doubt if years from now you ask a Millenial what their favourite station was when they were kids that you'll get back anything but a blank stare. Who's going to say CHUM-FM or CHFI? Kiss or Z-103? I'd be very surprised if they even remember them or if they're listening to them much now. More likely, they're streaming something commercial free off the web. 

"Yep, I was inspired by YouTube (or Pandora or Beats) when I was kid. And that's what made me want to be on air." Now there's a sentence you're likely never to hear 20 years from now. 

Time moves on, and so has 1150. But if you'll allow me a final nostalgic moment, it's too bad those coming up won't have that source of inspiration that fueled so many careers. You can't change progress but in some way I can't help but wonder if those who will replace us won't be all the poorer for it. And that's what CKOC's musical passing meant to me.

----

By the way, it didn't take long for all traces of Classic Hits 1150 to completely disappear. All the old URLs from the music days link directly to TSN1150's new website. So anyone looking for evidence of what was once there will have to settle for this.

Last edited by RadioActive (September 7, 2015 11:27 am)

September 7, 2015 12:32 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

I found Jody's tribute both heartfelt and somewhat touching. CKOC obviously meant something special to him as a kid. I'm guessing anyone who ever went into radio had a "favourite" station that made us want to work in the industry. But what Mr. Thornton's message also shows is how different things are now than when some of us were dreaming of sitting in a station one day.

CHUM was what made me want to be in radio. I never got to work there, but I was at CFTR during its Top 40 heyday, competing against my childhood icon. And I still remember what a thrill it was when I walked through those doors and out the elevator at 25 Adelaide St. E. that very first day. 

But that's what's changed. Radio was a different creature back then. It mattered more. I doubt if years from now you ask a Millenial what their favourite station was when they were kids that you'll get back anything but a blank stare. Who's going to say CHUM-FM or CHFI? Kiss or Z-103? I'd be very surprised if they even remember them or if they're listening to them much now. More likely, they're streaming something commercial free off the web. 

"Yep, I was inspired by YouTube (or Pandora or Beats) when I was kid. And that's what made me want to be on air." Now there's a sentence you're likely never to hear 20 years from now. 

Time moves on, and so has 1150. But if you'll allow me a final nostalgic moment, it's too bad those coming up won't have that source of inspiration that fueled so many careers. You can't change progress but in some way I can't help but wonder if those who will replace us won't be all the poorer for it. And that's what CKOC's musical passing meant to me.

----

By the way, it didn't take long for all traces of Classic Hits 1150 to completely disappear. All the old URLs from the music days link directly to TSN1150's new website. So anyone looking for evidence of what was once there will have to settle for this.

Or they can hear many airchecks of CKOC's music past at:http://rockradioscrapbook.ca.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 7, 2015 12:32 pm)

September 10, 2015 12:39 am  #21

Jody, I also grew up listening to "Ontario's Music Leader, CKOC"

When I heard their plan to switch to TSN 1150 on Sept 7, I decided to record the final 8 hours of "Classic Hits CKOC".
I recorded the stream on an 8 hour T-160 with a Mitsubishi HS-U80 in HiFi (stereo, if the CKOC stream is). The recording ended about 10 minutes into the launch of TSN 1150 sports.

If you would like a copy of the final 8 hours, let me know.

September 10, 2015 1:09 pm  #22

That was very kind of you, but I also recorded from 4:30 am onwards while I was at work Holiday Monday.
I wish I had thought to record some of Thrsday with Dave Smith and Ray Michaels.  I also wished there had been more montages, but I've heard most of those on Dale's site.

Fitz has some real goodies with the top hour ID that Morey voices, and Dale has a couple Dave Smith airchecks with some of the old jingles from 1979 and 1980.  The best check features Frank Lyn Cooper with the News Radio...Hamilton news theme (prior to switching to the CKLW styled themed everyone knows)

Thanks for reaching out.

(Edit ... as far as that top hour ID that says "From Hamilton .... Ontario's Music Leader .... CKOC", who suppied that music behind it?  Was that package ever used at other North American stations?)

Last edited by Jody Thornton (September 10, 2015 1:11 pm)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 6, 2016 7:27 pm  #23

Just looking at this a year later.  Wow!  That was a hard weekend to endure.  And now the Grand @ 92.9 shows up a year later with many of the former CKOC personalities.

That weekend, just before CKOC bit the dust, I remember listening to a last repeat of the Labour Day Weekend AT 40 from 1977 on CKOC.  It really took one back hearing "You and Me" from Alice Cooper, the chart debut of "Jungle Love".  Holy crap!  I know it was time to wrap up CKOC, and I understand that having TSN 1150 make good sense.  But it's odd knowing that there is no longer a song playing on the 1150 Khz frequency.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton