sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2016 2:01 pm  #1

Liberal MP In Trouble For Writing CRTC About TV Licence Renewal

First it was limo rides at outrageous prices paid to a Liberal party donor by the Health Minister.

Then it was thousands of dollars for photographs for what was little more than a PR session in Paris for the Environment Minister. 

Now another Liberal MP is in trouble for writing to the CRTC encouraging them to renew the licence of CTV's London TV station - a place where she used to be the anchor. It's against the rules for an MP to insert him or herself into the process. It smells worse because she used to work there. 

What's next? Justin Trudeau getting kickbacks from shirt companies?

Liberal MP apologizes for sending CRTC letter despite conflict guideline 

Last edited by RadioActive (August 25, 2016 2:02 pm)

August 26, 2016 8:23 am  #2

Re: Liberal MP In Trouble For Writing CRTC About TV Licence Renewal

I'll say this about that...An MP should be allowed to speak up verbally or via letter for ANY constituent in their riding.  And if THAT constituent is going for approval for a license to operate a radio station in THAT riding then I see absolutely NO conflict whatsoever.  In fact it might be seen as a conflict if the MP didn't support a new business looking to hire local people to staff the facility within his or her jurisdiction.

If it's about something other than locally/riding related then I can see where the MP had best just shaddap.

August 27, 2016 7:01 pm  #3

I went to college and subsequently worked with Kate Young for a few years.  We were never friends but I'll vouch for her integrity.

August 27, 2016 7:11 pm  #4

it's standard practise for an applicant to ask for, and get, a letter from their MP.  the problem only arises when they are Members of Cabinet.