sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2016 10:14 am  #1

How Could This Radio Producer NOT Be Fired?

I’m never in favour of people losing their jobs in this difficult broadcasting environment, but if anyone should be terminated, it could be this guy. He’s a white radio producer at a Philadelphia sports station.

What did he do? For the past two years(!), he’s been calling in as a guy named “Dwayne from Swedesboro.” The problem – the “caller” is supposedly a black guy, incorporating the worst stereotypes imaginable. As an example, he’s constantly referring to being worried about all the pregnancy tests his women are taking, afraid he’ll be their “baby daddy.” He even started an equally racist Twitter account for the guy, using a picture from a black teammate he plays hockey with. One of the postings reads, “Bout to go to da  White women Mecca. Da Starbucks located in da Target. Just wait for dem to come to me.”

He was supposedly doing this as a joke to egg on the host of the show he was producing, and while I find it almost impossible to believe, the host claims he had no idea what was going on. (At one point, he even had his hockey teammate come in to the station to meet the host.). And it goes on from there.

The charade finally came to an end when an intern spilled the beans, and you might think that would be grounds for the producer's immediate termination. Instead, the station has let him continue as if nothing ever happened, apparently happy for the publicity. And it appears many there knew what was going on the whole time. 

While I’m no fan of the extreme political correctness that seems to have taken hold of the media these days, this was, IMHO, clearly over the line. Yet, there seems to have been no consequences at all.

Well, there WAS one – but it’s not what you’d expect. Apparently, the afternoon drivetime guy on another sports station in town – and the direct competition - was fired just minutes before his own show for using questionable verbiage about this story online – including sending out a Twitter pic of a guy in blackface, criticizing the competition down the dial.

This other idiot has a history of some racially questionable statements himself and he was getting trounced by the host who was ostensibly being “fooled” by the false caller. All in all, it’s a real mess that’s been making radio headlines across North America.

Normally, what happens in Philly radio wouldn’t be of much interest here. But this is such an outrageous and twist filled story that I couldn’t resist bringing it to the attention of those who gather here.

The City of Brotherly Love, indeed.

White Radio Producer Caught Pretending To Be Angry Black Caller For Months

August 25, 2016 12:37 pm  #2

Re: How Could This Radio Producer NOT Be Fired?

Dat guy is a fool.  Dat guy should be fyah'd...as in fyah pon his stupid, ignorant, Trump-worthy yet sorry white ass.  And yes he should be fired for bringing discredit and shame upon those who had faith in his abilities to represent their company with some semblance of ability, dignity and intelligence.

But NO... ... ...

So?

Dig ya later judge!!!

August 25, 2016 8:24 pm  #3

Re: How Could This Radio Producer NOT Be Fired?

Update to the story. The producer in question, the show's co-host and the PD have now all been suspended. Their penalty? Three days off. 

If this had happened in Toronto, I can only imagine what the reaction would have been. 

Last edited by RadioActive (August 25, 2016 8:25 pm)