sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2016 12:27 am  #1

Shilling TV news

I'm repeating something I posted on Facebook.  I realize this is 2016 and every news department, local and network, is forced to shill for their programming department.  But CFTO's LEAD story Sunday evening was Monday morning's debut of the new CTV morning show.  That may not be plumbing new depths of shamelessness, but it's getting close.

August 22, 2016 7:30 am  #2

Re: Shilling TV news

I never worked for Bell ... I was gone from CFRB before Astral sold it to Bell Media. So I'm not picking for a former employer when I say that I don't have a problem with CTV or any radio & TV station indulging in self promotion on their newscasts. 

Here is why:

For viewers of that TV station (in this case CTV) or for listeners of a radio station, what is happening about their station is of interest to the listeners and viewers of that TV or radio station. The long time morning man retires - that's news on that particular radio station. Probably not on the competition.

Station radiothon or telethon is a news story (although a lot of news anchors at CFRB disagreed with me at first but would later buy into this idea and have a reporter assigned to do cut-ins in on the newscasts)

CTV's new morning show airing the next morning, is news. It was news when Canada AM was cancelled. It's news that the new show starts "tomorrow". Again, for the CTV audience or the Canada AM fans, that's news. As a former news director and program director, News for me is defined as what is of interest to the listener of the radio station or the viewer of the TV station. Depending on the radio format, Justin Beiber concert mayhem might be news on Virgin but not on Q107. And this is especially true if the radio station was a sponsor of the concert.

Why ... because today the news department is not an independent silo in a radio station. I worked hard to include news as an important componet of CFRB in Tororonto and CJAD in Montreal. You don't work for the newsroom - your work for the radio station. The same goes for the newsroom in a television station.

Now, was the story worth a lead item on the CTV newscasts? That is another question. I don't believe I ever suggested we lead with a story about the station (it's possible an anchor out there might disagree with me on this but from my recollection I just wanted to make sure news wasn't the only on air department not talking about something going on in our house, so to speak).

If it was the kicker, would Dieter object? Because, if so, then his argument is flawed. But questioning it being the lead story - he has a point. But that point is only as good as what was the second story that most likely would have been the lead story if the new morning show was starting on Monday. Which of the two stories was of more interest to the CTV audience that Sunday night? That is the question that must be taken into consideration as part of the news judgement that news directors and producers make every day for every newscasts.

The Olympics ending - bad choice to lead with new morning show. Major tragedy or terrorist attack - bad choice to lead with new morning show.  I think you can follow my drift on this.

I don't know what the second story was. Dieter didn't say. But it's an important element to the argument.

A blanket ban on self promotion by a media outlet on its newscasts is wrong and an outdated position. 

Radio & TV is a business ... I understand for some it is a calling but news is also a business and it needs to contribute to the good of the radio or TV station by promoting major internal events that can generate ratings that translates into revenue and need I have to say this: continued employment in these times of declining revenues that prompts downsizing (aka firings).

Last edited by kowchmedia (August 22, 2016 7:34 am)

August 22, 2016 10:21 am  #3

It should not have been the lead item under any circumstance, but I'll grudgingly accept that it could be a kicker as kowchmedia suggests and for the reasons he articulates. I'm about as old school as you can get - and for that matter old - so I'd be very interested to hear some opinions on this from the younger demographic here.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 22, 2016 10:30 am  #4

Dale Patterson     wrote:

I'd be interested to hear opinions from the younger demographic here.

Old Codger,,,,that's your cue...

But seriously I too have no time for leading....leading with such self promotion...

I realize that newsroom staff are "under orders" to do this kind of thing but IMO it's not right --  makes them look foolish -- tarnishes their cred and lowers standards in general...

No thank you...

August 22, 2016 10:45 am  #5

I agree with Dale and the man from Uncle! There's certainly nothing wrong with occasionally self promoting something a network has spent a small fortune to acquire or produce, but unless it's some sort of amazing - and here's the important part - NEWSWORTHY revelation (say a W5 investigative report that Justin Trudeau secretly accepted a bribe from the Shirtless Society of Canada) then there's never any excuse for a promo being a lead. 

I didn't see the newscast in question, but since Dieter notes it was CFTO's local cast (and apparently not the network news) it's even worse. Last night, the Olympics wrapped up, there was a gruesome murder of what could be a targeted hit downtown, there was a local train derailment and there were numerous other hotshots that, even on a Sunday-in-late-summer newscast, could easily have been a lead story. The promo for the morning show was certainly not one of them, even by the most liberal of yardsticks. 

In the end, it hurts their credibility, because it appears the programming department is pulling the strings - and not trained news producers who are paid to make those calls. And what other decisions have they or will they influence in the future?

August 22, 2016 11:35 am  #6

Part of the problem here is that it wasn't even a slow news day!!
The top story should have been the train derailment.
Yes, fine. It could have been a lot worse, but it's still a major news story.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 22, 2016 11:57 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

the problem here is that it wasn't even a slow news day!!

That bares repeating...

August 22, 2016 10:41 pm  #8

Totally agree with Dale and unc.  Broadcast journalism today has sold its soul to the almighty $.  I'm glad I'm getting out.

August 22, 2016 10:46 pm  #9

It would have been an acceptable add-on as a sort of kicker...but as the lead story?  No effin' way.

Steve...You're WAY out of touch with what NEWS should be if you think that THAT tripe is important material to the majority who specifically tune in for updates and breaking news about the stuff that truly matters.  You mustn't, therefore, be part of the solution.  You are, instead, part of the problem.

Get your hands off my TV.  [and radio for that matter]

Last edited by Old Codger (August 22, 2016 10:51 pm)

August 22, 2016 10:49 pm  #10

Glad to see I'm not the only who objects to that puffery being the lead story.  And yes, the train derailment should have been the lead and not #2.  Also, the script writer should be voted out of journalism for writing something to the effect that the new CTV morning show is about to change viewing habits/morning routines in the country.  Puh-leez.
   BTW, a sidebar on Ben Mulroney. The book by filmmaker Barry Avrich mentions that early in his TV career, Ben asked Lauren Bacall how fantastic it must have been to do the airport scene with Bogie in "Casablanca."  Bacall was not impressed.

August 23, 2016 9:23 am  #11

Not to hijack the thread, but an article in The Star offers a minute-by-minute breakdown of the Your Morning debut. It's never fair to judge the first day of a new show, because nothing is set in stone and everyone is still feeling it out. But from the sound of what they presented on Day One, it's definitely not something I would get up for.

(And they also bring up a very good point - just who is the audience this thing is being directed to? It would appear they've deliberately tried to blow away the old and likely older Canada AM audience. But will millenials tune in to this or any morning TV show? That seems unlikely.)

Caffeine fuels premiere of CTV’s ‘Your Morning’ show

Last edited by RadioActive (August 23, 2016 9:24 am)

August 23, 2016 9:49 am  #12

In this day of increasing media consolidation it would be career suicide for a news/brand/program director to bite the hand that feeds them in the name of what is right/moral/ethical…you tow the company line period, even if it means making headline news out of blatant self-promoting bullshit like this…that's what commercial promos are for...and it’s only going to continue…680 News will lead with a Blue Jays trade before a category 5 tsunami that kills 10,000 in Japan because the same entity that signs the station manager’s paycheque is signing Jose Bautista’s…nauseating but that’s happy capitalism at its finest.

Last edited by Johnny B (August 23, 2016 1:37 pm)

August 23, 2016 10:29 am  #13

Johnny B wrote:

In this day of increasing media consolidation it would be career suicide for a news/brand/program director to bite the hand that feeds them in the name of what is right/moral/ethical…you tow the company line period, even if it means making headline news out of blatant self-promoting bullshit like this…that's what commercial promos are for...and it’s only going to continue…680 News will lead with a Blue Jays trade before a category 5 tsunami that kills 10,000 in Japan because the same entity that signs the station manager’s paycheque is signing Jose Bautista’s…nauseating but that’s happy capitalism at it’s finest.

That sums it up nicely.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 23, 2016 4:41 pm  #14

Dale Patterson wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

you tow the company line period, even if it means making headline news out of blatant self-promoting bullshit like this…that's what commercial promos are for.

That sums it up nicely.

THAT'S the part which sums it up for me... ... ...especially "that's what commercial promos are for."  Because THAT'S exactly what in house commercial promos are for.  And that is exactly what newscasts AREN'T for.  The industry has gone to the dawgs and ass-clowns for sure.

Might as well let it die and go to NO sim-sub heaven.  There's NOBODY there representing the interests of Canada or Canadians.  ['cept for the corp]