sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2016 4:01 pm  #1

AM640 is looking for a full time talk show host

Armchair QB it.    Do you hire from within?   Maybe steal a 'RB full Timer?    Maybe someone who has been a fill-in?    Go.

August 5, 2016 5:43 pm  #2

Re: AM640 is looking for a full time talk show host

A.B.G.C. (anybody but grilled.cheese)

k.

August 5, 2016 7:29 pm  #3

Which begs the question is someone leaving or is someone being added? If the latter, maybe they've finally decided to actually have permanent non-paid live programming after 7 PM.

http://www.corusent.com/careers/talk-show-host/

August 9, 2016 9:25 am  #4

From FYI Music News.ca's "Around The Dial" column:

"Sources tell us that the gig includes on-screen work with Global television, owned by Shaw Media. We wonder if the position could be part of a juggling act at the AM talk outlet in an attempt to shore up expenses."

Make of that what you will. But it would seem to leave out Andrew Lawton, who for the moment is based in London. Jeff MacArthur already does double duty for Global and AM640.

By the way, I know columnist David Farrell regularly reads these pages, since he's quoted SOWNY in his articles before. Just want to let him know his daily column is one I read every day. 

August 9, 2016 12:07 pm  #5

There are very few people who can do both jobs well.    640 needs a really good radio show.   It would be easier to share the expenses with CHML, CJOB, and CKNW and focus on a radio program.

August 9, 2016 1:44 pm  #6

How long is the show?  2?  3?  4 hours?  Fully wind and set a working metronome in front of the open mic and then let it run for the duration.  It would be just as interesting...just as informative...just as meaningful in terms of contributing to the public good.

And...as broadcast companies are the ever increasing pains to every imaginable body part, including asses, that they are...it would save them some dough.

Everybody wins.
--------------------------------------

[Sorry Cheese Man]

Last edited by Old Codger (August 9, 2016 1:45 pm)

August 9, 2016 1:47 pm  #7

Hey!!!  If people are just plain stupid enough to watch a gawd dammed log burn on TV...this'll work...BIG TIME.

August 9, 2016 3:19 pm  #8

rotisserie chicken...Mmhmmm!!!!

August 9, 2016 3:35 pm  #9

Never overestimate people!

I was doing some work @ Rogers headend when they added the Swiss Chalet channel a few years ago and the response was nuts.  People loved it, tuned it in, left it on, sound up, grease spitting.  More than one rep got a call asking what was done with the chickens after they were cooked, and if they were just being thrown out each time did Rogers donate them or give them away.   I'm sure people figure the fish on the aquarium channel are starving because they never see them being fed.

Aquarium channel is by far the most popular, fireplace #2, never heard much about the sunset channel, but when the chicken channel was up and running it was very popular.

ig.

Old Codger wrote:

Hey!!!  If people are just plain stupid enough to watch a gawd dammed log burn on TV...this'll work...BIG TIME.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 9, 2016 3:49 pm  #10

ig wrote:

That may help to explain the Drumpf phenomenon.

August 9, 2016 4:51 pm  #11

ig wrote:

With respect (seriously) does popularity of the tropical fish channel, fireplace channel & rotisserie channel not reflect poorly on TVs alternatives?

August 11, 2016 5:18 pm  #12

I’ve criticized AM640 here in the past many times for not having any kind of a bench strength. But what’s been going on the past few days is simply unbelievable. Both John Oakley and Mike Stafford are on vacation this week. I’m not sure about the wisdom of letting your two longest serving hosts take off at the exact same time, but O.K., everyone deserves a vacation.

Lorne Honickman filled in for Oakley on Monday and I think, Tuesday. But on Wednesday, Honickman was gone and producers Ryan Bonner and Lyndsey Vanstone were taking that slot. They did an OK job, but I’m not sure that’s who you want hosting the most important real estate in radio. Then on Thursday, Honickman suddenly returned.

But it didn’t stop there. Kelly Cutrara, normally the afternoon drive host, was suddenly subbing for Jeff MacArthur during his 2-4 PM slot. MacArthur, incredibly, was subbing for Cutrara, who was subbing for him! Why they would change the drivetime host when she was obviously available isn’t clear.

Confused yet? Wait, there’s more.

The next day, Andrew Lawton took the reins of the mid-morning slot, while MacArthur took over again for Cutrara. Then on Thursday, Bonner was back, this time subbing for MacArthur, who was still doing afternoon drive.

Talk about a disastrous mess of musical air chairs. You can't tell the program without, well, a program, as 640 does its own version of "Who's On First?"  But it's more like "Who’s on When?" I’m wondering if even the people at Corus Quay have any idea. Meanwhile, over at RB, they’re demonstrating how to do it right. Jerry Agar is away this week, with Barb DiGiulio taking his slot. Every. Single. Day. Her 7 PM show is being hosted by Jeff Zammit for the duration. Every. Single. Day.

My old P.D. used to stress and stress and stress the need for consistency. You may not like the subs, but at least you know who they are and when they’re on. AM640’s schedule this week has been the worst dog’s breakfast I’ve ever heard.

Maybe that’s why Corus is finally hiring a new talk show host. Until then, I’ll keep wondering: what the hell are they doing over there?

One last thing. They’ve been running bumpers noting MacArthur is filling in on “The Kelly Cutrara Show.” That’s the first time I can remember ever hearing the show with her name officially attached to it. Up until now, it’s always been referred to as “Afternoon Drive” – which it still is on their website.

=====

[Edit: A little bird suggests Cutrara has Olympic commitments with the CBC and her schedule may be all over the map in the coming weeks. But regular listeners have no way of knowing that, and it sounds like they either don't have enough people or they don't know what they're doing. Or both.]   

Last edited by RadioActive (August 11, 2016 5:32 pm)

August 11, 2016 5:57 pm  #13

If they're looking for someone for double duty TV/radio one could argue that someone like Alex Peirson might be a good fit?  Begs another interesting question - RB has done a good job building a bench of fill in hosts - if one of them goes for the full time gig at 640, do you think they move them further down in the rotation or off the fill in list all together?

August 11, 2016 5:58 pm  #14

Also - can anyone confirm that Jimmy Cauchon is gone?   Heard he may have been part of the last round of Corus cuts?

August 11, 2016 8:54 pm  #15

In all fairness that would be a good question in September, October March or April but in the middle of summer holiday season, it's not unusual for people to be away for 2-3-4 weeks at a time, because this is when they _can_ get that time off.

tc143 wrote:

Cauchon was shown the door mid-July.  Anyone miss him?

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 12, 2016 12:11 am  #16

"But on Wednesday, Honickman was gone and producers Ryan Bonner and Lyndsey Vanstone were taking that slot. They did an OK job, but I’m not sure that’s who you want hosting the most important real estate in radio."

That was actually Tuesday.

"But it didn’t stop there. Kelly Cutrara, normally the afternoon drive host, was suddenly subbing for Jeff MacArthur during his 2-4 PM slot. MacArthur, incredibly, was subbing for Cutrara, who was subbing for him! Why they would change the drivetime host when she was obviously available isn’t clear."

Incorrect. Kelly did not fill in for Jeff.

Last edited by Fjiri (August 12, 2016 12:12 am)

August 12, 2016 4:06 pm  #17

Fjiri wrote:

"But on Wednesday, Honickman was gone and producers Ryan Bonner and Lyndsey Vanstone were taking that slot. They did an OK job, but I’m not sure that’s who you want hosting the most important real estate in radio."

That was actually Tuesday.

"But it didn’t stop there. Kelly Cutrara, normally the afternoon drive host, was suddenly subbing for Jeff MacArthur during his 2-4 PM slot. MacArthur, incredibly, was subbing for Cutrara, who was subbing for him! Why they would change the drivetime host when she was obviously available isn’t clear."

Incorrect. Kelly did not fill in for Jeff.

You may be right. Perhaps I got the day wrong. The point is it DID happen. And I'm pretty sure I heard Cutrara at some point out of her normal slot, perhaps during Stafford's show. Either way, it doesn't change my point, only enhances it. The schedule was so confusing, it was impossible to know who was on when.

Need more proof of how shorthanded they are? On Friday, Tasha Kheiriddin extended her show two extra hours in place of MacArthur. But to put a final absurd point on it, Lorne Honickman filled in on the morning show for Oakley. Guess who they had doing the afternoon drive? Yep, it was the same Lorne Honickman. I'm not sure I've ever heard a station use their one and only fill-in morning host as their afternoon driver - on the same day!

So again, I ask: is this any way to run a radio station in the top market in Canada?

(And by the way, that's not the only weird thing going on there. Their "6 Before 6" newsletter, which is given prominence on their website under the header "Connect", was last updated on April 11th! The very first item reads "Spring Appears Ready To Show Up" and refers to a record setting cold temperatre on Sunday. As we swelter through one of the hottest days in history, it really looks dated!) 

Last edited by RadioActive (August 12, 2016 4:11 pm)

August 12, 2016 4:15 pm  #18

No, and the CRTC should yank their license for such outrageous scheduling that seems to bother only one
individual.  I haven't heard a single person call in, apparently they have no social media interaction and having Sandro Lisi on a news shift speaks volumes!  This is not MY Canada!

August 12, 2016 4:19 pm  #19

If you'd get back to work, Stafford, all this would be unnecessary!

Seriously, hope you're back on the air soon. Your subs are OK, but they're not you. 

August 12, 2016 5:17 pm  #20

And Today, Honinckman does Oakleys show AND "the afternoon drive show"
This just doesn't look good.

I am Here, just not all there.