sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2016 2:14 pm  #1

The Official, Final End Of The VCR

​From the New York Times, by way of the Toronto Star, as the last company still making VCRs finally shuts down the production line. 

The Long, Final Goodbye of the VCR

I bought my first VCR, an RCA Selectavision VHS (like the one below) way back in 1977 from a long gone store called "Videoland" at Wilson and Bathurst Sts.in North York. If memory serves, it cost me almost $1,500 and a tape held all of four hours! By the time I stopped using them and switched to a DVR, you could get one for about $200 or less at Best Buy. But man, was I in love with that magic machine. It was the exact consumer product I'd been dreaming about for years and as soon as it came out, I got one. 

I still have two that work and I'm keeping them. Who knows, one day they may be a valuable commodity as people get curious about what's on all those abandoned tapes in their basements. I've also kept my TEAC reel-to-reel and I'm told those old machines are quite valuable. You'd be surprised how often I run into radio vets who wish they still had one, since most of their early work is stuck on that out-of-date format.

Last edited by RadioActive (July 22, 2016 2:15 pm)

July 22, 2016 2:41 pm  #2

Re: The Official, Final End Of The VCR

a couple decades ago some stated that old tape could spontaneously combust so I unwound my pre-recorded late 60s & early 70s reel/reel tapes and put them out w. the trash, keeping cases + empty reels.      Cases are beautiful (Janis Joplin, Dylan, Johnny Rivers to name a few).     Was I too hasty in destroying the tapes?           

Last edited by Kilgore (July 22, 2016 2:44 pm)

July 22, 2016 3:37 pm  #3

Kilgore wrote:

a couple decades ago some stated that old tape could spontaneously combust so I unwound my pre-recorded late 60s & early 70s reel/reel tapes and put them out w. the trash, keeping cases + empty reels.      Cases are beautiful (Janis Joplin, Dylan, Johnny Rivers to name a few).     Was I too hasty in destroying the tapes?           

Tough call.  Take a look at these ebay listings:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=janis+joplin+reel+to+reel

If you look at completed listings, there are one or two that fetched something around $40 but for the most part they generally go unsold.

However, the packrat in me did cringe a little when I read your post.  I've digitized a whack of stuff but I've always kept my originals.

In terms of hardware:

Some of the higher-end stuff is virtually indestructible -- and cheap.

I have still have a working U-Matic deck I paid $20 for several years ago and it refuses to quit.  Used it a few months ago.

I bought a "professional" JVC SVHS editing deck for $100 a few years ago and it still works.  Lets you tweak the hell out of everything to get the best you can out of the tape your playing.

But my prized possession is my lower-end but pristine Nakamichi audio cassette deck I bought for $20 from someone who threw all his cassettes but thankfully, couldn't do the same with the deck. 

But I recently discovered a really cool obscure format -- the Tefifon:

Last edited by Peter the K (July 22, 2016 3:38 pm)

July 22, 2016 3:48 pm  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

As much as I love a discussion of "the good old days of yore" when everything was perfect (which is every thread), I will agree there are advantages of keeping old hardware  in working condition.  I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are some movies / documentaries / TV shows that only exist in VHS format that were never reproduced in DVD or Blu-ray.

Having a functional VHS and VCR also provides for hours of amusement on YouTube.

I'm not sure this is so much about the "good old days" as it is about a company that's stopped making something that frankly I thought had gone the way of the dodo long ago.

If only I had the time to go through all those tapes downstairs. I remember on one of them was a 30 sec. spot for what I think was a soft drink like 7-Up. One of the people in it had a very minor part, appearing for just a few seconds with a single line. He later became very famous in a very different role. His name? Michael Richards aka Seineld's Kramer. If I knew exactly where it was, I'd put that on YouTube. 

But there's another side to this story. For a time, camcorders were the way a lot of people took their home movies when their kids were little, their parents and grandparents were still alive etc. I suspect there are many people sitting on tapes that would mean nothing to the rest of us but would be a treasure trove of irreplaceable memories for them, if only they could play them again. 

July 22, 2016 4:42 pm  #5

I'm the proud owner of a DVD/VCR combo. It also converts VHS to DVD.
May it never break down.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 22, 2016 5:01 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

But there's another side to this story. For a time, camcorders were the way a lot of people took their home movies when their kids were little, their parents and grandparents were still alive etc. I suspect there are many people sitting on tapes that would mean nothing to the rest of us but would be a treasure trove of irreplaceable memories for them, if only they could play them again. 

Well over 10 years ago, My wife and I were having a get together at my Wife's Aunt and Uncle's house with his family when the subject of "days gone by" came up.  Turns out that the Uncle had several rolls of Super 8 home movies of his family which he had the presence of mind to have professionally put onto VHS.  It was a gas watching it, seeing much younger versions of the people around me, parts of town that have changed dramatically, and then, footage of a little girl who was about 3 learning to skate.  That little girl would eventually become my wife.  And yes, she can still skate.

I immediately offered to transfer the VHS tape to DVD and even better, provide copies for everyone.  The offer was gladly accepted.

The point is, more often than not, most people have probably forgotten what they have until they stumble across it.  Hopefully when that happens, the analogue media will still be playable or the digital media will be something that is still supported.

July 22, 2016 5:06 pm  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

I'm the proud owner of a DVD/VCR combo. It also converts VHS to DVD.
May it never break down.

That I need to get.  I don't want a video capture card.  I was hoping there would be an easy fuss-free way to digitize VHS tapes.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 22, 2016 5:31 pm  #8

Peter the K wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Well over 10 years ago, My wife and I were having a get together at my Wife's Aunt and Uncle's house with his family when the subject of "days gone by" came up.  Turns out that the Uncle had several rolls of Super 8 home movies of his family which he had the presence of mind to have professionally put onto VHS.  It was a gas watching it, seeing much younger versions of the people around me, parts of town that have changed dramatically, and then, footage of a little girl who was about 3 learning to skate.  That little girl would eventually become my wife.  And yes, she can still skate.

I immediately offered to transfer the VHS tape to DVD and even better, provide copies for everyone.  The offer was gladly accepted.

The point is, more often than not, most people have probably forgotten what they have until they stumble across it.  Hopefully when that happens, the analogue media will still be playable or the digital media will be something that is still supported.

Super 8 and film is a lot harder to dub, if only because there are so few projectors left. My late father took tons of 8mm film in the 50s and 60s but I had nothing to show it on. I eventually took them to a place called Howard TV (wonderful people, by the way, run by a group of brothers on Bathurst St.) and for a fee, they converted 10 of those old films to DVD. I gave that to my elderly mother for her birthday one year and she was delighted by it. In fact, she still re-watches them occasionally.

Man, I was a real cute kid. What the hell happened?    

July 22, 2016 5:48 pm  #9

Howard TV on Bathurst?  Yep, I bought a shortwave deluxe radio from them a few weeks ago.  Nice sounding.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 22, 2016 7:03 pm  #10

They are the nicest people I've ever dealt with in the consumer electronics world. And just to bring this thread full circle, I can't tell you how many VCRs they repaired for me over the years. I may have helped put some of their kids through college... 

Last edited by RadioActive (July 22, 2016 7:03 pm)

July 24, 2016 4:56 pm  #11

Jody Thornton wrote:

Howard TV on Bathurst?  Yep, I bought a shortwave deluxe radio from them a few weeks ago.  Nice sounding.

Hmmm.....  I wonder if they sell a battery-powered AM/FM/HD radio?  My trusty old grundig has finally bit the dust and I haven't touched the SW band in years.

I'll have to check them out.  I drive by them frequently.