sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2016 9:44 am  #1

Chuck McCoy Looks Back On 50 Years In Radio

He became something of a legend to listeners on air at CHUM and something of a legend for programmers after that. Chuck McCoy reflects on more than half a century behind the mic and then behind the scenes.

"McCoy learned well in 18 months at CHLO (1966-67), and then the bright lights of Toronto lured him. “I had a chance to go to CKFH. At that time it was really making a successful run at CHUM, so I thought I’ll change my goal of working at CHUM and I’ll go there. I was there about a year, then the very smart broadcasters at CHUM realized they needed to change. They brought in some good consulting and brought in J Robert Wood. I thought ‘I’m in the wrong place now.’ I think I called a few times then they called me and I went over. Jack Armstrong was on the air then, and I think he was involved in me getting there.”

And here's a statement that will please those here who complain about the "good-old-days" attitude they often detect on SOWNY. 

“You have to meet with the people working for you and go home that night thinking ‘I learned something today.’ Otherwise I think you become someone who lives in the past. I have seen that in some of my colleagues. They’ll go ‘well, radio is not what it used to be.’ I say ‘thank god.’”

Chuck McCoy remembers

Last edited by RadioActive (July 20, 2016 9:53 am)

July 20, 2016 10:11 am  #2

Re: Chuck McCoy Looks Back On 50 Years In Radio

It always seemed like 980 CKNW was #1, 730 CKLG was #2 and 1410 CFUN was 3rd, but if that's how he remembers it . . . 

July 20, 2016 10:24 am  #3

Pretty sure you would HAVE to be in management to thank 'gawd' for today's radio.  The security factors, the programming, the compressed mini files of music...the generally 'who gives a shit' presentation...the over managed failure that it all too often is.

You go Chuck.  I don't buy that for a second.  [but it does look good on paper.]

July 20, 2016 12:11 pm  #4

As a very young lad I had the pleasure of listening to Chuck McCoy on  680 CHLO in St. Thomas...
And by the age of 13 I was telling my school guidance counselor it was going to be radio for me !!!
Thanks a lot Chuck...

July 20, 2016 12:23 pm  #5

Have you guys checked to "view counter" on this thread ???

Chuck McCoy is more popular now than ever !!!!!

Chuck McCoy for Prime Minister !!!!!

Last edited by unclefester (July 20, 2016 12:56 pm)

July 20, 2016 3:46 pm  #6

Though he hasn't been on the air for decades, he was a pretty good jock in his time. Here are some samples from Dale Patterson's wonderful Rockradioscrapbook.ca site.

Chuck McCoy on CKFH 1968

On CHUM: June 1, 1970

June 16, 1970

August 10, 1971

Image courtesy Between The Posts

Last edited by RadioActive (July 20, 2016 4:12 pm)

July 22, 2016 2:21 am  #7

Like Unc, I also had the pleasure of listening to Chuck in his St. Thomas days.  Another one I looked up to in my desire to break into this biz...

July 22, 2016 7:51 am  #8

Chuck McCoy... seems to me I recall him saying "Hiya Hiya Hiya, it's Chuckles McCoy on swingin' 68 CHLO" He was one of my first radio idols too! 

July 22, 2016 10:14 am  #9

zed wrote:

Chuck McCoy... seems to me I recall him saying "Hiya Hiya Hiya, it's Chuckles McCoy on swingin' 68 CHLO" He was one of my first radio idols too! 

There was a story I heard many years ago that station staff found at least one old dusty tape of Chuck practicing his "Hiya's" for something like 30 minutes...

No kidding...

July 22, 2016 1:51 pm  #10

Apropos of nothing, Howard Berger says Chuck McCoy's real name is Mervyn Vidler. No wonder he "Chuck-ed" it! 

July 22, 2016 2:47 pm  #11

Mervyn Arthur Vidler to be exact...

July 22, 2016 4:02 pm  #12

When I worked with Chuck at 'FH & CHUM, it was HiYa HiYa HiYa.......It's THE CHUCKER!