sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2016 5:39 pm  #1

Does such a Programmer exist?

I was talking to a GM the other day, and all he wants is a programmer who can:

1.   Manage their time.
2.   Get things done - even if it means they do it.
3.   Make sure things that need done are done on a regular basis.
4.   Really gets radio, and why and how all the parts need to work together.

He has a big budget, but he's a point where he doesn't believe this person actually exists?   Everyone wants to be a PD, but few want to do the work of a PD.

I know what he's saying - I often see guys and gals who are great, but they get so caught up being "busy", they let the planning and strategy fall through the cracks.   There is also the guy/gal who is great at "what they like" but not strong at what needs to be done.

Does a real whiz programmer exist anymore?   Or has corp radio killed them all?

July 4, 2016 5:56 pm  #2

Re: Does such a Programmer exist?

I've experienced the opposite.  Far too many management types want the PD to be a bureaucrat, sitting in the boardroom or other meetings for countless hours to a point where they can't really listen to their radio station.  A huge part is actually sitting 'hearing' the product that is generated and I'd bet less than 2% of the folks out there actually are afforded that luxury.  It's a constant stream of fire fighting and smiling and nodding for upper manglement.

It also depends on the person & the format.  I've never bought into the bullshit that a good programer can program any format.  True, any monkey can grab a copy of Billboard or The Record (Dating myself) and see what's charting and play it, but that's not programing, and anyone who says otherwise is just looking for their next gig, not a career.  John Hayes once told me 'you should never fall in love with your format'.  Anyone wants to know what I think of the 'great' John Hayes, drop me a note, or read between the lines.

I have an awesome time programing the outlets that I get to play on, but there's very very little 'guidance' and subsequently it's a pleasure to do the job.

I'm not a believer that radio should give me a position for life, I'm a big fan of  "If I'm doing a good job, give me a bonus.  If I'm not doing the expected job, dust me, don't keep coming back at me to fit your form.  I'm too old and I'm not interested,'   (Or reading between the lines, I have a huge issue with authority so either let me do what I do well, or fuck off )

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 4, 2016 5:59 pm  #3

RadioQuiz wrote:

2. Get things done - even if it means they do it.

So this job does not involve the letters in the order 'C' 'B' 'C' .

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 4, 2016 6:00 pm  #4

RadioQuiz wrote:

I was talking to a GM the other day, and all he wants is a programmer who Really gets radio, and why and how all the parts need to work together.     He has a big budget, but he's a point where he doesn't believe this person actually exists

​the individual exists but not in Toronto or Vancouver and if you steal him away we'd have to kill you  

July 4, 2016 9:56 pm  #5

Is it worth it anymore to stick your head up for THIS?  You move.  You succeed.  The asset flourishes.  Stupid then takes over.  You fail.  You're fired.  You move... ... ...again.

The bureaucratic bullshit is such a waste of friggin' time for anyone who's truly creative.  It's time  STOLEN  from doing a great job.  It's time  S T O L E N  to make some pencil pusher look 'smart' [er]. 

To be a GREAT programmer...you need to give it about 80 hours a week.  [79-81]  Then...when you go on vacation ['cause you darned well EARNED a VACATION] you need to be 100% left alone to inhale ALL of the benefits of being on said vacation.  You NEED to recharge your internals and you return to do it ALL some more.

Bureaucrats DON'T 'get' this'.  If *I'M* not the owner I don't need to be married to this 24/7/365.  If I do...you better PAY me for THAT too.

One more point.  N O exceptions.  Product before sales EVERY time.

July 4, 2016 10:12 pm  #6

P.S.  I will never again FIRE anyone who doesn't deserve to be 'let go'.  YOUR budget doesn't impress me.  Really?  It's like owning stocks.  You RIDE OUT the bad/down times...or YOU inevitably lose.  I loathed that aspect of 'management'.  It was wrong.  It was dishonest.  It was unworthy of a REAL man worth his salt.

July 5, 2016 5:49 am  #7

Old Codger wrote:

It's like owning stocks.  You RIDE OUT the bad/down times

​You might want to consult Lou Schizas about when to let go of your Bre-X Minerals, Nortel and Enron share certificates and take a tax loss   

July 5, 2016 9:31 am  #8

Interesting timing on this post, because of this article I discovered this morning:

Ending The Tyranny Of Cookie-Cutter Radio Programming

July 5, 2016 12:50 pm  #9

Yup.  THAT'S it.  Poor product spells doom.  Really great product spells hope.  Although these clowns who've burrowed radio into the manure for these past 20+ years will have a hell of a time getting young folks to ever make radio habitual.  They chased many of them away forever by offering non-stop dreck.

Older listeners left more slowly.  It's perhaps still salvageable [30-40 plus]  if the content and the music begin to measure up again... ... ...someday.