sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2016 3:31 pm  #1

Bell Wants To Shut Down Some OTA TXs; Rogers Wants OMNI Relief

The CRTC will consider renewing everything en masse for the big bloated broadcasters that dominate this country (Bell, Rogers, Shaw) in a series of hearings to be held late this winter. There were two things that caught my eye in the applications of two of them. 

Bell is requesting permission to "delete" "several" OTA transmitters for both CTV and CTV Two networks. I've been unable to find exactly which ones would go if they get their way, but I doubt any of the major cities would be affected since the CRTC has already told them they have to provide that service. But CFTO has re-transmitters in Ontario and I wonder if those are included.

Rogers wants big changes to OMNI, including lowering the number of languages it must broadcast in from 20 to 15; getting rid of news bureaus in Ottawa and Vancouver, and most significantly, amending the condition of licence that forces it to air 50% CanCon in primetime. 

More about what they want for all their stations here.

June 15, 2016 5:49 pm  #2

Re: Bell Wants To Shut Down Some OTA TXs; Rogers Wants OMNI Relief

Interesting. If Rogers is granted a cut down to 15 languages from 20, doesn't that translate to more "encore presentation" programming of the remaining languages in it's place? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 15, 2016 7:02 pm  #3

Re the closure of CTV transmitters, this would be my guess for starts in Ontario
-6 Deseronto
-8 Cornwall
-11 Muskoka
-12 Parry Sound - with a massive 7 watts
-8 Wingham
-42 Sarnia
-35 Bobcaygeon which is the only HD one in the list. But why keep it on if CHEX now shows CTV [Would someone please tell Starweek!]
Then there is all the repeaters in towns in Northern Ontario including Elliot Lake, Wawa, Hearst, Kirkland Lake etc
Most of these facilities are very old. It would be neat to see the list.

Last edited by andysradio (June 15, 2016 7:11 pm)

June 17, 2016 10:44 am  #4

Buried in one of Bell Media's documents there is a list of transmitters they plan to shut down across Canada.
You were pretty close in your prediction.
-11 Muskoka escaped this time
as did 42 Sarnia/Oil Springs and 35 Peterborough/Bobcaygeon.
35 may have been spared as CTV may be unsure of the arrangement with Corus now that they own Global.
A lot of the Northern Transmitters were hit.

Not Southern Ontario but most Saskatchewan analog repeaters were hit as well as about half of Alberta's repeters.

June 28, 2016 8:44 pm  #5

The complete list of transmitters to be shut down has been revealed. We really won't be affected much here, unless for some reason you get your programming on CKNX in Wingham, which had been simulcasting CFPL's programming. (How a city the size of Wingham ever got a TV station in the first place has always been a mystery to me.)

The other is the CKVR repeater that serves Parry Sound.

Most of the rest are either out east or way out west, although there are two in the Ottawa region, both of which are high powered and both of which bring CJOH to some outlying areas. 

See the full list here. 

Last edited by RadioActive (June 28, 2016 8:58 pm)