sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2016 2:42 pm  #1

Corus cuts... 16x9 and TMS

I'm seeing on Twitter some news about Corus cancelling 16x9 and Global's noon news. Also suggests that Liza Fromer and Rosey Edeh may be out. Not going to be a happy long weekend over at Global that's for sure.

John R Kennedy @JRK_Media 4h4 hours ago

Breaking: @Global_TV in Toronto axes #NewsAtNoon & will make changes to @morningshowto & @MorningShowCA. Cuts incl. @LizaFromer @RoseyEdeh

John R Kennedy @JRK_Media 2h2 hours ago

Breaking: @Global_TV axes award-winning @GlobalTV16x9 and cuts show's staff.

EDIT: nope, noon news continues to live on...

John R Kennedy ‏@JRK_Media 5m5 minutes ago

Correction: @Global_TV spokesperson @RishmaGovani says #NewsAtNoon in Toronto has not been cancelled.

Confirmation by Global that Liza Fromer's contract not renewed:
http://globalnews.ca/news/2792018/16x9-cancelled-liza-fromer-contract-not-renewed-amid-changes-at-global-news/

Last edited by TomTV (June 28, 2016 5:00 pm)

June 28, 2016 4:18 pm  #2

Re: Corus cuts... 16x9 and TMS

I wonder if they'll be bringing on Jennifer Valentyne to The Morning Show to replace Liza. She recently posted a picture being in front of a green screen. It could be nothing, but the timing of this is somewhat coincidental.

Last edited by Here2day (June 28, 2016 4:19 pm)

June 28, 2016 5:54 pm  #3

I sincerely doubt they'll be adding anyone new. This was clearly meant to eliminate costs as much as possible, the show can carry on with just Jeff and Carolyn as the newsreaders/lead anchors.

This article offers up a bit more information, does not suggest any new additions.

http://www.southwesternontario.ca/whatson-story/6744550-corus-cancels-global-s-16x9-news-program/

June 28, 2016 8:14 pm  #4

What's almost lost in the press release pointed to in the lead post of this thread is that some of the 16X9 team will be shifted to an investigative unit that will "work with local teams across all platforms, including radio.”

Including radio? Does this mean that AM640 will actually break some stories for a change instead of just constantly cribbing from the newspapers or whatever Global has on offer?