sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2016 1:06 pm  #1

Mike Vs. Mike On Mic

A pretty bizarre war of words broke out on noontime radio Wednesday, after Mike Stafford ventured an opinion on AM640 that his 12 PM namesake at 1010 wasn't especially funny. Someone texted that comment to Mike Bullard, who promptly replied that if "that guy with the same first name as me" needed to use him to make his own show more entertaining, so be it. But "no one knows who he is." Bullard further laughed when he noted that the anonymous texter had misspelled Stafford's name.

I'm sure this is a one-off, but since this kind of thing - mentioning the competition in a flame war kind of way on air - is so rare, I hope they keep the fires burning. It was wonderfully entertaining. Unfortunately, Stafford is doing mornings the rest of the week, so it's unlikely the sniping will continue. But it sure was fun to listen to while it lasted! 

Last edited by RadioActive (June 22, 2016 7:16 pm)

June 22, 2016 2:20 pm  #2

Re: Mike Vs. Mike On Mic

grilled.cheese wrote:

Stafford is correct.  Bullard isn't funny.

After reading grilled-cheese's response, I've decided that Bullard is funny after all.

June 22, 2016 3:20 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

A pretty bizarre war or words broke out on noontime radio Wednesday, after Mike Stafford ventured an opinion on AM640 that his 12 PM namesake at 1010 wasn't especially funny.

I heard it too, but it should be clarified that Stafford was reading a listener's email. That's whose opinion he was conveying.

Regardless, stations taking shots at each other does sound fun when it happens. The thinking of "don't mention the competition" is as archaic as "no holidays during ratings".

June 22, 2016 3:23 pm  #4

Dial Twister wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

After reading grilled-cheese's response, I've decided that Bullard is funny after all

Grilled.Cheese is hilarious

June 22, 2016 4:09 pm  #5

BoredOp wrote:

The thinking of "don't mention the competition" is as archaic as "no holidays during ratings".

The competition deserves a good solid spanking, every now and then, if 'one' can actually pull that off with the truth.  [and Mike isn't funny...which explains why he was set adrift by the network all those years ago.  NOR could he do even a 1/2-assed interview well.] 

Taking holidays during ratings though?  That's not standing up to an archaic rule of thumb.  That's about as basically smart as it gets.  [unless YOU suck at what you do and it's a blessing for the audience to celebrate your absence.]  Don't mess with your loyal listeners when you want them to 'be there' for you.  At the very least you HAVE to be there for them. 

As 'the boss' I would insist on NO time off for 4 weeks prior to a [spring or fall] book nor for one week after.

June 22, 2016 4:45 pm  #6

Old Codger wrote:

As 'the boss' I would insist on NO time off for 4 weeks prior to a [spring or fall] book nor for one week after

​And there should be lots'a contests, for example the 107th caller gets their name added to a list of similarly-qualified listeners who after six or seven weeks might win tickets for four to the Home Show at Exhibition Place (parking not included)

June 22, 2016 5:01 pm  #7

Prizing doesn't have to be THAT extravagant geo.  A chance at one 2 dollar off coupon good for weekdays [only] at Pizza Pizza [pick-up only] should nail it for any station worth it's salt.

June 22, 2016 6:48 pm  #8

Mornings is where I like to believe Stafford belongs. I hope ratings agree...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 22, 2016 7:24 pm  #9

On the subject of never mentioning the competition, one of the funniest or at least most startling things I ever heard on radio happened back in the mid-70s, when WNBC was fighting WABC's Dan Ingram for afternoon drive supremacy in the media capital of the planet, NYC. As they came out of a series of spots, listeners to NBC heard that iconic "Dan Ingram!" name sing, followed by the famous 77 WABC jingle. 

After it ended, the late, great Bob Vernon (aka "Vernon with a V") came on and in his deepest announcer voice intoned, "Dan Ingram is not here. Nor do we know where you can find him. Thank you." A WNBC jingle then led into music.

It's been more than 40 years, but I remember it like it was yesterday. This personality version of WNBC (circa 1975 or so) remains my all time favourite radio station, with the PD vowing that every jock they hired would be a "morning man" type of talent. And all of them were. In the end, it didn't work, but boy was it hilarious while it lasted.   

June 23, 2016 10:54 am  #10

Ms. C. wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

After reading grilled-cheese's response, I've decided that Bullard is funny after all

Grilled.Cheese is hilarious

Agreed!

I am Here, just not all there.

June 23, 2016 4:37 pm  #11

Sadly though I find it rich anyone at 640 is throwing mud at 1010, when 1010 on their WORST day still has higher ratings than 640.   For a guy who "isn't funny" or "entertaining", they sure get a lot more of a following.

Don't get me wrong I like Stafford, and if the world around him was better, there is no reason he wouldn't be at the top with the rest...   I have opinions on 640, and what could be done to right the ship on the budget they have currently, but this is not the right place for those opinions.

June 23, 2016 5:25 pm  #12

radiokid wrote:

I have opinions on 640, and what could be done to right the ship on the budget they have currently, but this is not the right place for those opinions

If the SOWNY message board isn't the right place to express opinions, what is the right place?     A letter to the editor of the National Post?    

K.

June 23, 2016 6:19 pm  #13

What have I done now?  Oh, I read an on-air email.  Thanks for catching that Bored Op. I wouldn't trash Mike Bullard because I haven't met or worked with him and he and I have similar likes/dislikes.   I HAVE heard Moore attack Oakley and I don't know why.  In the current reality it would be like Pontiac attacking Oldsmobile.  We're all facing irrelevancy.

As for throwing mud, I've heard that 'RB is preparing promos that will trash AM 640 as "tabloid radio", "trash", "electronic ebola" (I just made that up) etc.  Probably just an off-air caller, claiming to be from Bell Media, pulling somebody's leg at work.  I can't see anyone at the Mighty 1010 using those delicious, expensive radio sticks on Southdown Road to deliberately promote, even negatively, another frequency.  Crazy business these days.  And I'm not Ziggy either.

Last edited by Miker (June 23, 2016 6:44 pm)

June 23, 2016 8:16 pm  #14

radiokid wrote:

Sadly though I find it rich anyone at 640 is throwing mud at 1010, when 1010 on their WORST day still has higher ratings than 640.   For a guy who "isn't funny" or "entertaining", they sure get a lot more of a following.

Don't get me wrong I like Stafford, and if the world around him was better, there is no reason he wouldn't be at the top with the rest...   I have opinions on 640, and what could be done to right the ship on the budget they have currently, but this is not the right place for those opinions.

Who gives a shit? Stafford is the only one with the balls to say CFRB. The morning show I listen to actually play excerpts from OTHER Morning shows in other markets, and clearly identifies them by call letters, all the while making fun of their "Morning Zoo" antics and such. The days of not recognizing your competitor are stupid, and over. Who owns/stole the SkyDome BTW?

Last edited by StevieB (June 23, 2016 8:16 pm)

I am Here, just not all there.

June 23, 2016 8:17 pm  #15

Miker wrote:

What have I done now? Oh, I read an on-air email. Thanks for catching that Bored Op. I wouldn't trash Mike Bullard because I haven't met or worked with him and he and I have similar likes/dislikes. I HAVE heard Moore attack Oakley and I don't know why. In the current reality it would be like Pontiac attacking Oldsmobile. We're all facing irrelevancy.

As for throwing mud, I've heard that 'RB is preparing promos that will trash AM 640 as "tabloid radio", "trash", "electronic ebola" (I just made that up) etc. Probably just an off-air caller, claiming to be from Bell Media, pulling somebody's leg at work. I can't see anyone at the Mighty 1010 using those delicious, expensive radio sticks on Southdown Road to deliberately promote, even negatively, another frequency. Crazy business these days. And I'm not Ziggy either.

Not sure why the sensitivity, Mr. S. Most of us here agree you do a great show and would like to see you promoted to drive time. Plus, you're definitely not Ziggy. Another plus!

My original comment wasn’t that you’d done anything wrong. I just get a kick out of those sort of internecine radio wars. Kind of like George Burns breaking the fourth wall on the old "Burns & Allen" show to talk directly to the audience. It just doesn't happen that often.

There were two long standing regular feuds that stand out in my mind. The late John Michael used to constantly use his show on CKTB, St. Catharines, to get on John Larocque’s case. The latter was the morning man on rival CHSC, which no longer exists. Every once-in-a-while Michael would issue some sort of insult about his competitor, but it was generally done with a light touch and in good fun. I’m not sure if Larocque ever responded in kind.

And then there was Jay Marvin, who used to run a hilarious late night talk show over blowtorch WLS-AM in Chicago in the 1980s and 90s. Every few nights, he’d phone the producer of the show talk show opposite him on WGN-AM and say something ridiculous to the screener, dialing and then putting the call live on air.

Yes, it was juvenile and yes, it was something I likely wouldn’t have appreciated when I was doing that job at a few Toronto talkers years ago. But I have to admit, it was a pretty funny bit. As was the brief exchange between you and Bullard the other day - although neither of you knew at the time it was going on.

June 24, 2016 11:04 am  #16

StevieB wrote:

radiokid wrote:

Who gives a shit? Stafford is the only one with the balls to say CFRB. The morning show I listen to actually play excerpts from OTHER Morning shows in other markets, and clearly identifies them by call letters, all the while making fun of their "Morning Zoo" antics and such. The days of not recognizing your competitor are stupid, and over. Who owns/stole the SkyDome BTW?

I would say the same thing back...  The listeners don't CARE about EGO fights..   It will do ZERO to help ratings for either.  That's just a fact.   I also argue that screaming another stations calls doesn't do anything but draw attention to the other station that may or may not be better.

Listeners don't care about this childish crap...  Listeners are not going to go either direction by doing these things on air.   P1 listeners will stay no matter what, typically.

I for one have more of an issue with the lack of fact checking on most shows on 640, which is the reason I moved away a while back...  When every other source says facts are A, and they say it's B on 640, or the host mixes the info up and it never gets corrected, I have an issue with that.   But some how FOX news is still on air, so I guess some don't care about that as I do.

June 24, 2016 12:17 pm  #17

StevieB wrote:

Who owns/stole the SkyDome BTW?

Rogers did not steal anything. Skydome was going bankrupt. Rogers rescued them. 
If it were not for the Rogers centre, the Blue Jays would not have a home.

June 24, 2016 12:22 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

There were two long standing regular feuds that stand out in my mind...

I'm old so I don't remember if the animosity ever made it to air, but Ed Needham v. Andy Barrie was out of control at times.  Vitriolic hatred would be a safe descriptor .

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 24, 2016 5:14 pm  #19

Damn Iain, the off-air Andy vs. Ed stuff was shocking stuff.  And RadioActivity I wasn't being sensitive, you're a P-1 to a lot of stations and tend to interpret some stuff that just doesn't have any basis in fact.  Respect your passion.  RadioKid, lick. Frost Fence in February rookie.

June 24, 2016 7:11 pm  #20

Radiowiz wrote:

Rogers rescued them?  It???

For a dollar.

{{{***My heroes.***}}}

June 24, 2016 11:35 pm  #21

A little back and forth between radio stations is nice.

June 25, 2016 12:57 am  #22

Old Codger wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Rogers rescued them?  It???
For a dollar.
{{{***My heroes.***}}}  

Yes, Rogers prevented the Skydome from simply being bankrupt and the Jays from having no home to play in.
In the Rogers video days, Rogers was very smart. They maximized the space @ Rogers centre by adding a Rogers video to the place.  Maximizing the use of extra space is always smart.