sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2016 1:40 pm  #1

Just Plain Dumb...

I had to look up the dates for this one but the story is true...

It was 1999 and a certain female television hostess at Canada AM was interviewing Mr. Paul Stanley live and in studio...Paul Stanley was performing the lead role in Phantom of the Opera in Toronto at that time...

Our unnamed (yes I do know her name and so would you) hostess of the air waves appeared to me at least to be most impressed and quite deferential in Mr. Stanley's presence.

She then asked him a question that nearly saw me fall off my chair...

She asked him... "are you a millionaire" ??

Isn't that like asking if the Pope is Catholic ??

You can debate if such a question is a bit too personal and maybe border-line rude....like asking a woman her age or her weight....but fact is EVERYBODY knew the answer to that one already....apparently excluding our hostess...

Any examples you can conjure up of  more downright dumb on air moments ??

Last edited by unclefester (June 22, 2016 1:41 pm)

June 22, 2016 2:55 pm  #2

Re: Just Plain Dumb...

Hmmmm.  I had no idea is was _that_ Paul Stanley.  Go figure. 

I would imagine that most people just don't care how rich someone is, unless they stand to get a piece of it.

There are also a lot of folks toiling away in the music business (even some well-known names) who may not be as wealthy as one thinks.  There's an old joke that asks:

What is the difference between a musician and a large pizza?
The large pizza can feed a family of four.

However, I would tend to agree that regardless of how obvious it might be, such a question really is inappropriate.

Sorry for veering off topic.

June 22, 2016 3:35 pm  #3

Peter the K wrote:

Hmmmm.  I had no idea is was _that_ Paul Stanley 

Who is the other Paul Stanley?

June 22, 2016 4:17 pm  #4

A friend of mine told me about one he heard many years ago. And yes, it actually happened. 

He was listening to CKO, which at the time was the only all news format in Canada. That made it easier to break in with a "this just in" sort of headline. The big story that day back in November 1984 was the sensational trial of Saskatchewan politician Colin Thatcher, who was accused in the brutal murder of his wife. The verdict came in and CKO broke it first - Thatcher had been found guilty of the horrific crime.

So far, so good. But then anchor Susan Florey threw to reporter Frank Flaigle (sp.?) who was covering the case. He delivered his report from outside the court house and threw back to Florey. And then she asked him this: "Frank was Colin Thatcher in the courtroom when the verdict was announced?" 

There was a very long pause, as Flaigle seemed to consider what he'd just been asked. 

"What?" he asked, clearly rattled. 

And so she repeated the question. "Was Colin Thatcher in the courtroom when the verdict was announced?"

And while I'm sure Flaigle would have loved to have said, "No, he just went out for coffee," he responded with another brief pause before issuing an elongated, "Yeesss."

My friend and former colleague claims it is still the dumbest question he's ever heard anyone ask on air.  

June 22, 2016 4:18 pm  #5

why not ask mike tyson if he's a rapist?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IrhZ06vz1w

June 22, 2016 5:36 pm  #6

Ms. C. wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

Hmmmm.  I had no idea is was _that_ Paul Stanley 

Who is the other Paul Stanley?

I don't know, but when I saw the name, I couldn't fathom that is the member of KISS until I looked it up.

I must have been living under rock.

I found a really interesting interview with Pamela Wallin and Paul Stanley

Last edited by Peter the K (June 22, 2016 5:36 pm)

June 22, 2016 10:43 pm  #7

Peter the K wrote:

I found a really interesting interview with Pamela Wallin and Paul Stanley

Aww. Remember Pam before she lost her mind?

June 23, 2016 9:53 am  #8

re: tyson interview mentioned above. was this plain dumb or calculated in the hopes of getting pr (or even a payday as tyson turns into destroy/boxing mode)? personally, i think it was dumb (no matter what the reason). 

Last edited by the original hank (June 23, 2016 9:58 am)