sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2016 9:08 pm  #1

Job Offers....Where...When...And Any Regrets ???

Was thinking back to when I started out....first on air job was in 1972....I was in high school...

Things moved rather quickly  and I was in a major market 500 miles from home just after my 19th birthday...

Occasionally I'll think about some of the job offers I got but didn't take...

C.F.G.O. in Ottawa called...

C.F.R.A. in Ottawa called....

Wayne Dion from C.H.A.M. Hamilton had me come in for an interview...

Ron Hill the news director from the CHUM station C.F.R.W. in Winnipeg called...

Quite literally the phone would ring in the newsroom...out of the blue...and there so-and-so on the phone wondering if you'd be interested in moving here or there....

Those are four that I can think of....didn't take any of them but wonder...as they say...."what if".....

Back then the broadcast journalism courses and classes were just beginning. The  community college broadcast journalism school is a route I chose not to take...  

Like to hear about your job offers you've had.......where....when and any second thoughts or regrets...???

Last edited by unclefester (April 24, 2016 9:08 pm)

April 24, 2016 10:54 pm  #2

Re: Job Offers....Where...When...And Any Regrets ???

No regrets.  I almost turned one down.  Well I did turn it down but called 'them' back about 10 days later and ended up moving after all.  You and I would have worked together if you had taken one of those 4 offers Unc.

I did find that when 'they' came a-calling...the job and the atmosphere at those specific places of employment was  superior to several of the places where I, instead, called 'them'.  It seems to work best when you allow 'them' to catch you.

[But sooner or later no matter where it was management changed.  Sometimes it was truly an upgrade.  Excellent.  Everybody won.  Generally though...not so much.  These replacement parts often came with a distinct lack of self confidence...and even less talent.  How did they 're-lead' their pencils?  By hiring their own people.  Insecure managers make loads and loads of mistakes and the audience and the clients often suffer a LOT.]

Bottom line.  If you want to grow your career take offers from credible people and places.  If you're satisfied where you are...stay put.  Know, though, when there's writing on the wall.  Sooner or later...there always is.

Last edited by Old Codger (April 24, 2016 10:56 pm)

April 24, 2016 11:26 pm  #3

Old Codger wrote:

You and I would have worked together if you had taken one of those 4 offers Unc.

Can you just imagine that Old Codger...??  Sounds like it would have been lots of fun...

April 25, 2016 12:33 am  #4

Old Codger wrote:

You and I would have worked together if you had taken one of those 4 offers

Sivanesarajah Kandia is reportedly searching for talent for prime time at upcoming AM-1220 good times/great oldies Welland Canal.     The Old Codger and Uncle Fester Morning Show should give Roger and Marilyn a run for the money    

April 25, 2016 6:45 am  #5

I have often thought about the roads that were and might have been travelled and how things might have turned out differently.​While in the radio program in College it was suggested that I should apply for a News job at CHLO in St.Thomas.  Sent in a resume and tape and went through what is still to this day the toughest and most intense interview ever.  Got offered the job but after a couple of days decided to say thanks but no thanks.  I just did not feel that I was ready.Couple of months later a couple of friends were applying for a job as a jock at CKNX in Wingham.  I was the only one with a car so I drove them up.   While they interviewed, I spent a while talking with the News Director.  I guess he saw some potential.  A month later he called and offered me a job on the television side reporting and anchoring.   Thus began what turned into a 30 year career in Television, small, medium, large and some network fill in stuff.   A pretty good run that began only because I owned a car in College. 

April 25, 2016 11:28 am  #6

geo wrote:

Old Codger wrote:

You and I would have worked together if you had taken one of those 4 offers

Sivanesarajah Kandia is reportedly searching for talent for prime time at upcoming AM-1220 good times/great oldies Welland Canal.     The Old Codger and Uncle Fester Morning Show should give Roger and Marilyn a run for the money    

Jesus H Christ I think that Roger and Marilyn might be older than both Codger and myself...we might be able to outlast 'em...
Since I quit drinking years ago I'm not sure just how much fun we'd have...

Would we be doing the show from 36 Queenston Street ?? Now that would be intriguing.  The last time I saw a photo that location was just a huge pile of rubble...maybe we'd fit right in...

And besides if I ever got back on the air somebody would tick me off...I'd give them the "get off my lawn" rant and I'd be future endeavored right then and there...

No...I think when Codger and I team up....if we ever do...it will be for something nice and safe where we can't get arrested....shuffleboard or cribbage it is....

April 25, 2016 8:35 pm  #7

Started at CKOV, the local station in Kelowna, BC at 14 while still in high school.
Got an offer from a station in Australia 3 years later but was too young and frightened to move away from home.
A year after that, an offer from KIMN in Denver, Colo. 
Didn't take that one for the same reason.
In 67, an offer from CJOC in Lethbridge, took that and got into TV as well.
71, Dale O'Hara of CKXL came to Lethbridge and offered me mornings doing news.
Took that and a year later, an offer from Dick Smyth at 1050 CHUM as well as an offer from Byron MacGregor at CKLW.
Took the CHUM offer doing morning news and then got a call a couple of years later from Dale O'Hara
again, now ND at CKY Winnipeg.
Went there for an interview in the middle of the worst blizzard of the decade and immediately turned around and went back to Toronto.
Accepted an offer from Bob Lang to work with him again, this time at CJCA-CIRK in Edmonton in 76.
By 1983, I was back at CHUM working for Brian Thomas.
94, CFRB came calling and in 97, 680 News.
CFRA made an offer in 99 and I was there until 2001.
Back to the west coast and an offer from CKNW-CJNW.
Later, an offer to write news at CTV Vancouver which I did for 2 years.
Stopped doing the corporate thing in 2007, freelancing and still at it.
I later found out most of the offers I had while working in Toronto were initiated by competing stations attempting to get me out of the market.
And while working in Toronto and Vancouver, I also accepted teaching positions at Seneca and BCIT for a few terms.
Not being boastful, but I never had to go job hunting, my hires were all referrals and offers.
I often wonder how my career might have gone had I accepted those early "out of country" offers?
Not complaining at all, I had a great life in broadcasting and was able to work with some of the best on the planet (and a few of the worst who know who they are (were.)

April 25, 2016 10:01 pm  #8

Mike Cleaver wrote:

got a call a couple of years later from Dale O'Hara
 now ND at CKY Winnipeg.
Went there for an interview in the middle of the worst blizzard of the decade and immediately turned around and went back to Toronto.

Nice read Mike...thanks for confirming my decision not to take the hire in Winnipeg...

April 27, 2016 10:52 am  #9

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

​While in the radio program in College it was suggested that I should apply for a News job at CHLO in St.Thomas.       

Congratulations on a 30 year career...

I will assume you attended Fanshawe College in London ??

Do you recall the name of the news director at CHLO ??

Just curious....

April 27, 2016 4:22 pm  #10

Sorry not Fanshaw, Humber (Phil Stone School of Radio Broadcasting)
I do not recall the name of the News Director but I do remember the station was downtown in an old theatre of some sort.
As for the trip to Wingham, those who know the area will not be surprised to learn a massive winter storm hit and we were stuck in the town for the night.  
3 guys sharing a grungy room in some local flea bag motel.
Managed to make our way to the local watering hole.
BTW, one of the guys I drove up got the job as a jock, and we ended up splitting a place in the town for the 6 or 8 months we were there.
Could not get out fast enough. 

April 27, 2016 5:30 pm  #11

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Could not get out fast enough

Affordable housing, family-friendly people, snowmobiling in winter, a short drive to Lake Huron in summer plus noon hog-belly quotes & country music.     Wingham sucks.    

k.     

April 27, 2016 5:58 pm  #12

You forgot winters that seemed to go on forever.
One hour drive to civilization, decent restaurants or fast food.
No decent reception of good radio.  Too far from Toronto or Windsor, although, one exception,  I do remember listening to David Bent on FM-96 London.
Only 1 bar in town, although they would let the CKNX people run up a tab until pay day.
And all of this for the grand sum of $149.00 per week, and $20.00 raise after 3 months.  Big time TV Bucks.

April 27, 2016 7:21 pm  #13

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

You forgot winters that seemed to go on forever.
One hour drive to civilization, decent restaurants or fast food.
No decent reception of good radio.  Too far from Toronto or Windsor, although, one exception,  I do remember listening to David Bent on FM-96 London.
Only 1 bar in town, although they would let the CKNX people run up a tab until pay day.
And all of this for the grand sum of $149.00 per week, and $20.00 raise after 3 months.  Big time TV Bucks.

I have a confession....I applied for a job there one time...

Ray Baynton....I am certain you remember that name...

He's still there...he's  a grad of Fanshawe College... 

April 27, 2016 9:37 pm  #14

Kilgore wrote:

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Could not get out fast enough

Affordable housing, family-friendly people, snowmobiling in winter, a short drive to Lake Huron in summer plus noon hog-belly quotes & country music.     Wingham sucks.    

k.     

I have family in Wingham...and even more in Lucknow.  Plus there are family ties down in Corunna, Wallaceburg and Windsor too.  I am well aware of those who think that Ontario extends ALL THE WAY from Etobicoke to maybe as far east as Scarberia and as far north [only on a clear day] as the southern ditches of Sheppard Ave.  [While we all know that the centre line of Eglinton is considered the real northern boundary.]

Those people bore me to death.

Last edited by Old Codger (April 27, 2016 9:46 pm)

April 28, 2016 1:20 pm  #15

Old Codger wrote:

I have family in Wingham . . . and even more in Lucknow

To what radio station do folks lucky enough to live in Lucknow, listen?

k.

April 28, 2016 3:30 pm  #16

I'm gonna guess that if 'they' want local info, weather and news from people who go to some of the same events and social locations they do...that they might traditionally have been more inclined to listen to the station in Wingham.  CKNX has been there for about 90 years or so.  Must have done something that worked...at least back in the day.  Then there's that gawd-awful top 40 choice for people who like 'it' in steeerio Peeetie.  Some of the girls like that shyte.

Can't say that I have much positive to say about their latest ownership.  Long distance broadcasters who prefer to save money by 'doing it' from elsewhere as much as they can get away with.  I'm ALL against so-called regional radio.  That's just carpetbagging.

"Folks lucky enough to live in Lucknow".  You know I have a huge amount of respect for farmers and people who live and love in farming communities.  They're just as important as any city slicker son.  That they choose to live where they do suggests that maybe, just maybe, they PREFER the choices you mentioned in your ealier post about the lifestyle that's available to them.  Maybe the concept of driving 45 minutes to work...60 minutes if it rains...2 1/2 to 3 hours if it snows or if there's an accident is not the choice that tops THEIR list of ways to live life.

Maybe their concept of the quality of life doesn't include taking forever to get from point A to point B...just to try and find a parking spot and then 'enjoy' the luxury of paying an arm and a leg for it...while deeply breathing in the exhaust of excess vehicles and passing buses.  Maybe waving to their neighbour without employing the use of any specific finger works to their favour?  Maybe there's a sense of pride in their neighbourhood and community that rises above the mere cheering for a bunch of severely overpaid athletes as the one and only thing to wave a civic flag about.

And you know what k?  Folks in Lucknow can drive to Toronto to catch a show or a game and do so knowing full well that it's just for a quick visit...that they can leave all that behind just as soon as they've had enough.  You, on the other hand, may well be stuck with it 24/7.  Good choice young fella.  Smart.

Last edited by Old Codger (April 28, 2016 4:02 pm)

April 28, 2016 4:30 pm  #17

Well said, Codger.

I don't think we say that often enough considering the amount of experience and thought that goes into some of these rants.

Any young'un can spout an opinion, but it takes an old codger to tell it like it was/is.

April 28, 2016 5:01 pm  #18

Dial Twister wrote:

Well said, Codger

Well said, Dial Twister

April 28, 2016 5:06 pm  #19

Well said Kilgore.