sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 4, 2015 3:13 pm  #1

RF On AM - Is This The Cause?

A long time ago on a SOWNY board far, far away, I posted a question about some sudden electrical interference that had been plauging my AM reception for the past few months. The irritating buzzing appeared suddenly across the entire band with no apparent explanation and it continues to this day. It's spread between just these three houses, with mine in the middle, and when you get away from those residences, the problem stops. 

I finally asked my next-door-neighbour, a retired electrician, if he knew what it might be. He recently installed a new DirectTV HD satellite dish and he claims it's likely coming from that - and he gets the same noise. I find it a bit hard to believe, since there are a number of dishes around this area and none of them cause the issue. Could he be right? If so, is there anything I can do about it, without disturbing his dish?

Last edited by RadioActive (June 4, 2015 3:14 pm)

June 4, 2015 3:38 pm  #2

Re: RF On AM - Is This The Cause?

I highly doubt that the problem would be caused by the install of your neighbour's DSS.  The voltage sent from the receiver to power the LNB mounted on the dish itself is only 18VDC. 

You could also ask your neighbour to turn off his sat receiver equipment to allow you to check if that is the actual cause or source of your problem.

If not, try calling Industry Canada - RF Spectrum Management

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/h_sf06086.html.

June 4, 2015 4:55 pm  #3

Does the reception problem mean you have missed talk radio's ongoing analysis of the Duggar family?

If so, count yourself very fortunate

June 4, 2015 11:02 pm  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

I highly doubt that the problem would be caused by the install of your neighbour's DSS.  The voltage sent from the receiver to power the LNB mounted on the dish itself is only 18VDC. 

You could also ask your neighbour to turn off his sat receiver equipment to allow you to check if that is the actual cause or source of your problem.

If not, try calling Industry Canada - RF Spectrum Management

I agree. I have three satellite dishes and have never had a sniff of noise emanating from either them or the receivers that go with them. I can't imagine his equipment is throwing out that kind of RF. Still, I have to admit the problem began around the time his dish went up, so who really knows?

As for Industry Canada, I was in touch with them earlier this year. They were sympathetic but not much help. And I don't want to endanger my neighbour's Direct TV deal, since it's a gray market type of thing. So far now, I'll continue my hunt for the cause some other way. Thanks for the response.

June 5, 2015 2:54 am  #5

Radio stations used to send out engineers to solve radio reception problems but I doubt they have any or enough to do that anymore nor do they probably care.
Has the electric company been doing any work in your area lately?
Possibly a hydro transformer is failing.
Electrical interference has been slowly killing AM reception for decades and it comes from many sources, more it seems every day.
In downtown Vancouver, where we have trolley buses and lots of tall concrete and steel buildings, the major 50 thousand watt stations are virtually unlistenable in many areas. 
In Toronto, you have streetcars, lots of concrete and steel buildings and an aging electrical grid. 
Something obviously has changed in your area.
Call your favourite AM station and ask to speak to an (the) engineer and see if he/she can offer any suggestions.

June 5, 2015 11:26 am  #6

I suppose it could be something in one of the nearby transformer boxes. But then why wouldn't the noise be there when I pass by one as opposed to my house, which isn't close to those big boxes? I can try the engineering route, although I suspect you're right - most stations will likely have a guy say, "that's interesting", and then hang up. Anyway, nice to have you back on the new and improved Big Yellow, Mike, now that order has been restored. Can't speak for anyone else, but I've missed your input. 

June 5, 2015 1:40 pm  #7

I'm interested in the answer to this, if there ever is one also.  I'm about 99.9% AM listener, and always have one in the bathroom, usually connected to the light .  I've also noticed that for ages, I get a perfect, no buzz signal, then for a few weeks, it's rotten reception and then it just goes away.  Nothing on my end has changed that I know of.  Could it just be something in the lines, injected from elsewhere in the neighbourhood?  I've thought of getting a filter, but never been bothered enough to do it.    When cable-FM went away, I had a digital box on a Crane FM transmitter that I'd use around the house, but when I moved I forgot to set it up again.  Probably should .

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 5, 2015 2:45 pm  #8

RadioActive:  just wondering if this problem has recently presented itself with AM reception, or if you have experienced it for some time...
A couple of thoughts...  can you try using a battery powered AM radio? if so, is the interference still present?
And have you signed up with your electrical utility for the "Peak Saver" program where they remotely shut down your Air Conditioning unit at peak load times?  Similar to when the electrical utility used to push a 30 Hz pulse on the local electrical grid to turn off/on electric water heaters... 
I'm also wondering if it might be related to the Smart Electrical meters... 

just wondering....

June 5, 2015 3:15 pm  #9

Glen Warren wrote:

RadioActive:  just wondering if this problem has recently presented itself with AM reception, or if you have experienced it for some time...
A couple of thoughts...  can you try using a battery powered AM radio? if so, is the interference still present?
And have you signed up with your electrical utility for the "Peak Saver" program where they remotely shut down your Air Conditioning unit at peak load times?  Similar to when the electrical utility used to push a 30 Hz pulse on the local electrical grid to turn off/on electric water heaters... 
I'm also wondering if it might be related to the Smart Electrical meters... 

just wondering....

1) Most of my radios are battery powered, but it doesn't make any difference even on those that do have AC. It doesn't go away when you unplug a unit from the wall. The noise is still there but wasn't on those units until about six months ago. 

2) I would never let the power company near my thermostat, so no, I'm not on PeakSaver! So that can't be it.

3) My Smart Meter was installed several years ago and, as noted, the problem is about six months old. So I don't think it could be tied to that or it would have happened long before now. (So far, the meter hasn't exploded, as happened to one poor woman recently on the side of her house, so that's one good thing!)

The problem affects both local and distant stations across the dial, which means it's mildly annoying on say, AM640, but almost obliterates CKTB or WABC. It's worse at night, but that's likely because of atmospherics, pattern changes and signal protection reductions. 

June 6, 2015 6:39 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

A long time ago on a SOWNY board far, far away, I posted a question about some sudden electrical interference that had been plauging my AM reception for the past few months. The irritating buzzing appeared suddenly across the entire band with no apparent explanation and it continues to this day. It's spread between just these three houses, with mine in the middle, and when you get away from those residences, the problem stops. 

I finally asked my next-door-neighbour, a retired electrician, if he knew what it might be. He recently installed a new DirectTV HD satellite dish and he claims it's likely coming from that - and he gets the same noise. I find it a bit hard to believe, since there are a number of dishes around this area and none of them cause the issue. Could he be right? If so, is there anything I can do about it, without disturbing his dish?

It kills me to this day how some people don't understand what a satellite dish does. I have been in the Satellite industry since 1991, and am active in the business every day. It is a RECEIVE only Antenna. The 18VDC is only to power the LBNF (Low Noise Block Downconverter Feedhorn) It has as much effect on radio reception as someone connecting 2 9V batteries in series outside your house.

I am Here, just not all there.

April 14, 2016 11:44 am  #11

A few months shy of a year ago, I put up this thread about a mysterious buzzing that was plaguing every AM radio in my house and spread over the properties of the two homes on either side of me. I'm almost afraid of posting this at the risk of jinxing something, but a few days ago, the noise simply stopped. 

I have no idea what changed, what happened or if it will ever come back. I'd love to find out what it was, but I'm guessing I'll never find out. Maybe someone replaced whatever it was with a more shielded source or got rid of whatever was generating the noise.  And yes, I could have listened online, but that's a pain and I'd rather hear it unadulterated off air. Anyway, a number of posters were nice enough to contact me via the SOWNY inbox about this and I thought I'd at least let them know. 

So for now, at least, the RF on AM that's been driving me nuts since early 2015 (or earlier) is gone. Welcome back WABC. Nice to hear you again WBZ. Where you been WGN? What's news WCBS? Great to have you back WLS, WJR, WTAM and KMOX. (Now if only most of them actually had something worth listening to! But that's for another thread for another day...)

Last edited by RadioActive (April 14, 2016 11:46 am)

April 14, 2016 2:18 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

...Welcome back WABC. Nice to hear you again WBZ. Where you been WGN? What's news WCBS? Great to have you back WLS, WJR, WTAM and KMOX. (Now if only most of them actually had something worth listening to! But that's for another thread for another day...)

But for WGN and WBZ, it's pretty much just angry white guys yelling at Obama and now Hillary. Move along folks. Nothing to see (or hear) here.

Where's Larry Glick when you need him?

April 14, 2016 3:47 pm  #13

Glad to hear that your problem appears solved R A...

That would be sooooo annoying...I feel your pain....

FWIW I entered the following into Google...constant buzz on the am dial....

There's a whack of articles there dealing with the problem...you may want to take a look....

One suggestion was the possibility of a nearby  electric fence (used to ensure pets remain in a yard).

Plus many more suggestions....

And I can tell DT that I was front and center on the Larry Glick show circa 1972....

Loyal listener and loved the guy...

Still listen most nights to WBZ late night...all these many  years later...

Cheers all.....

Last edited by unclefester (April 14, 2016 6:51 pm)