sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2016 11:34 am  #1

Hey Old Codger...Can You Top This ???

If you will indulge me I would like to talk about one of my more memorable news assignments from back in the day...

I was 18 years old in 1974....

It was a hot sunny summer day and I was to take the station news vehicle on assignment to Freelton, Ontario...

Anyone know what's coming next ??? Did you not read the title of this thread ???

Yup...on assignment to cover the MIss Nude World contest at the Four Seasons Nudist resort...

Very tight security...I was vetted two -- probably three times before getting into the grounds...

I brought a cassette  machine...it's radio you know....Jason Roberts was the host and M.C.

Good time had by all...

Like I said.....Schwing...!!!!

Last edited by unclefester (April 12, 2016 7:18 pm)

April 12, 2016 10:42 pm  #2

Re: Hey Old Codger...Can You Top This ???

Fun times those 'nude' contests. I was a celebrity judge at one held at a large open park in Vineland Station in Niagara. It was open to the public that year 1975, I think. Quite the event for a radio jock just getting things started career-wise. The beer was plentiful and free for the panel of judges, all males. Naked contestants never looked better in the summer heat with Lake Ontario as a backdrop. That event lasted 3, maybe 4 years before retreating to a more private property and eventually disappearing from sight.

April 13, 2016 8:17 am  #3

Re: Hey Old Codger...Can You Top This ???

Heck No.  I did get into a serious accident driving the brand new station news cruiser on my way to playing records at a winter carnival dance back in early '74.  We came over the crest of a hill and there was an 18 wheeler stretched sideways across the 2 lane highway...shoulder to shoulder.  The electrical system had failed when the vehicle stalled and it was totally blacked out.  All I saw was it's silhouette against the moon and starlit sky.

I had maybe 3 seconds to react and, as it covered both shoulders, there was nowhere to go but straight into the tires.  The frame would have taken the top of the car and our heads off.  My teeth came out just under my lower lip.  My partner bashed his head into the console.  He slowly came to.  People took us to the hospital.  I got stitched up...Gordie regained his senses.  Those who had fished us from the wreckage set up the sound equipment.

We arrived at the arena...maybe 20 minutes late to a standing O.  First song?  I Just Wanna Celebrate Another Day of Living./Rare Earth.

Trade ya.