sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2016 2:59 pm  #1

I Was a Top Radio Personality So Why Wouldn't Anyone Hire Me?

(This is a great article.)

Now, when my 50ish friends are between jobs and feeling scared, I tell them, not to worry about their age, or their looks, don’t feel insulted by disinterest or silence. Just keep showing up and saying yes to yourself and all the possibilities, even if you have to get over yourself and pretend you’re JLo.

[Via Fortune]

Get out of bed. You’ll feel better.

Every morning for five months, when my alarm went off and I felt like pushing snooze for the rest of the day, I read those words I had written to myself on a yellow Post-it note. It was a reminder not to give up.

By mutual agreement, I left my job at SiriusXM in February 2015. I was in my 50s, single and out of work, and haunted by the countless news stories I had read about how hard it was for older women to find employment. I was Lisa G., I’d remind myself. I had spent ten years of my career working as a reporter for Howard Stern, the greatest radio broadcaster in the world, in my unbiased opinion. I had paid my dues, earned my cred. I had even won a Billboard Air Personality of the Year award.

Surely, I would be able to land another great job. I had to. I didn’t have a spouse to cover my rent, and I worried how long my savings would last.

I signed onto Wunderlist, a great app for keeping track of phone calls, emails and appointments. I contacted everyone I knew, wanted to know or thought I knew. I made phone calls and set up meetings and interviews.

Nearly five months and more than 80 interviews later, there I was, still jobless—and beginning to lose heart.

[more...]

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 17, 2016 3:23 pm  #2

Re: I Was a Top Radio Personality So Why Wouldn't Anyone Hire Me?

Here here! Great piece, good reading...and hope for the rest of us. Thanks for the post.

Talk to the hand!

March 17, 2016 4:30 pm  #3

Re: I Was a Top Radio Personality So Why Wouldn't Anyone Hire Me?

I enjoyed reading that Iain....thank you posting it...

Always prefer a happy ending like that...