sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2016 9:20 am  #1

alert!

for the first time (for me at least), an alert (amber alert?) popped up on our tv screen (sound effects included). it was individualized since i had the option to hit the edit button to remove the alert. a minute or so later, it popped up again. this prompted the question "is this about a family member?" the scroll was extremely slow so a person wouldn't know (initially) what the hell was going on. note: we are roger's subscribers. my daughter also heard it on her car radio. is this type of cable box "amber alert" new? regardless, the information scroll should work a lot quicker during this alert to avoid "tune out" or confusion (imho). 
btw, the alert was about a youth being abducted in orillia. he apparently ran away and has been returned to his family. the alert stated he was "picked up" by a man in a vehicle. apparently, he wasn't abducted at all (he was "picked up" by his parents).

Last edited by the original hank (March 7, 2016 9:25 am)

March 7, 2016 10:57 am  #2

Re: alert!

It shocks me how many people complained about this like it's the worst thing to have happened.

The sound is to be "IRRITATING" and "ANNOYING" to ensure they get your attention.  That's the point.  If you make it pleasant, and soft people would not even pay attention at all.

Only issue I have is the frequency of the announcements.   Twice in a row, and a few min later another two in a row.   I think once is fine and updated every 10 mins, unless it's a Tornado Warning or public emergency for an immediate area should this be more frequent. 

I also think a crawl on TV would accomplish what they are trying to do after the 1st announcement unless there is an update.  IT would allow people to still watch their show uninterrupted. 

It just seems the frequency of the announcements is the problem and not the idea to me.   My worry is if they keep this current execution, people will not pay attention when it actually is an emergency.   An Amber Alert qualifies as worthy of using this system, but very 10 mins works 

March 7, 2016 11:19 am  #3

So, did it knock out PVR recordings each time it "sounded" on Bell Fibe or Rogers?   On Bell satellite, there was no crawl.   It "nuked" PVR recordings "in progress" and switched the satellite receiver to a red screen on channel 1911 and did not switch back. So any recording was terminated by the warning system, "in progress".
Bad engineering, obviously.  
It's a real bummer for those who were watching or PVRing the series finale of Downton Abbey.

I still fail to see why or how the warning was of relevance to people in downtown Toronto.   

Last edited by tvguy (March 7, 2016 11:21 am)

March 7, 2016 11:22 am  #4

radiokid wrote:

I also think a crawl on TV would accomplish what they are trying to do after the 1st announcement unless there is an update.  IT would allow people to still watch their show uninterrupted. 

A simple crawl along the bottom of the screen with perhaps an unobtrusive "BING, BING" announcement tone when it started would have sufficed. As it was, I had to give up on the show I was just starting to watch. Fortunately, I can pick it up via On Demand . Can you imagine the outcry if it was during a Leafs game? Well, maybe not a Leafs game, but a real sporting event?  

March 7, 2016 11:50 am  #5

radiokid wrote:

The sound is to be "IRRITATING" and "ANNOYING" to ensure they get your attention.  That's the point.    

BINGO !!  I've got no issues with the "sound effects" used to draw your attention.

What I couldn't hack is the computer-generated  voice used to make the message.

It was often unintelligible,  mispronouncing "Orillia" and then asking listeners/viewers to call..."nine hundred eleven"...instead of the always used..."nine...one...one..."

That computer-generated voice just does not compute.

Surely those responsible can and should make at least these very basic improvements...

March 7, 2016 11:53 am  #6

On Rogers it arrives on top of the programming, so your PVR'd shows will be fine.  On Bell it has to be stitched into the channels so your recordings are probably pooched.  Not to mention it unfortunately occurred at the end of the hour, just as the shows were wrapping up.

If nothing else it will certainly bring the 'amber alert' program back into focus.  It was originally sold and intended to be when a child was abducted and in immediate danger.  The immediate danger part is key so that it's not used for every mom/dad dispute involving the kids.   This seems to have been forgotten in the past few years.

Thank goodness they never went to the next step which was supposed to be a 'gray' alert, area specific for wandering Alzheimer's disease sufferers.  

There are methods in place to get these messages across.  IMHO the 'holy shit' alert on TV channels should only be used for immediate life threatening conditions like Tornados and such.  But I'm sure if my son or daughter was abducted I'd also be the first one screaming for non stop alerts till they were found.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 8, 2016 12:19 am  #7

durham regional police received around ninety 911 calls from people who were upset with the alert as it interfered with the program they were watching. 911 a complaint line? who new?
btw, the computer "voice" didn't accompany the alert on my tv screen. it was just a very slow screen crawl that took a long time to explain the details. 

March 8, 2016 12:35 am  #8

That "computer voice" was a radio thing Hank...

I was listening  to a rerun of the Roy Green show when it came blaring cross the airwaves...

I heard the alert  3 or 4 times...and each successive time I listened closer and closer to see if I could figure out what the hell was being said.

I don't think I got even 80 per cent of it so from the technical end it's just not good enough...

March 8, 2016 12:41 pm  #9

I think all this proved that the system has been poorly thought, poorly implemented and quite frankly not alert ready.

March 8, 2016 12:43 pm  #10

Those ambulances are pesky too. 

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

March 8, 2016 1:08 pm  #11

unclefester wrote:

That "computer voice" was a radio thing...

It was on my TV signal. I'm with Rogers.