sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2016 9:10 pm  #1

Gord Martineau signs off at CityNews

February 29, 2016 9:37 pm  #2

Re: Gord Martineau signs off at CityNews

grilled.cheese wrote:

Did Rogers "retire" him?

It sounds that way as it was all of a sudden.

February 29, 2016 9:44 pm  #3

I can't say for sure whether this was a Rogers decision per se, but Martineau was always good at reading the writing on the wall. And I'm told he's been contemplating this kind of thing for a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of what happened surrounds the new 5 & 6 PM newscast format at City TV, involving endlessly rotating anchors at endless live shots, throwing to reporters who have nothing to do with why they're in that live location in the first place. The entire show is very disjointed and makes no sense to this long time TV news-roomer.

Bottom line: if you watch CityNews at 6 these days, you don't see a whole lot of Gord Martineau on it anymore. And that, more than anything else, may be one reason he's decided it's time to go.

February 29, 2016 11:04 pm  #4

Gord is 68....time to relax and smell the roses....

March 1, 2016 12:01 am  #5

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/02/29/gord-martineau-signs-off-after-39-years-at-citynews.html

From Twitter -- “Goodbye Toronto and City Tv. Thank you for letting me into your living rooms and your lives. I will continue to work in broadcasting — stay tuned.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (March 1, 2016 12:01 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

March 1, 2016 12:38 am  #6

Station brass claim he made the decision a year ago but kept it quiet to avoid a fuss. As far as continuing to work in broadcasting, he plans to keep up his regular campaigns for The Herbie Fund, his pet cause, which generally winds up in a week worth of specials aired during the 6 on City.

Still have to wonder how all the changes and firings of the last few years might have influenced his departure. Mark Dailey once told me Martineau was very upset by the cuts made by Rogers over the years and didn't always agree with the direction the new owners were taking the newsroom. Was that a factor? Hard to say but I'm pretty sure it was ultimately his decision. As the long time face of CityPulse and then CityNews, he was as close to unfire-able as anyone in the Toronto TV market.

March 1, 2016 1:15 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Station brass claim he made the decision a year ago but kept it quiet to avoid a fuss. As far as continuing to work in broadcasting, he plans to keep up his regular campaigns for The Herbie Fund, his pet cause, which generally winds up in a week worth of specials aired during the 6 on City.

The what? They don't even say the 5 anymore. I don't even know why Roger Peterson said "The 6" when he narrariated the goodbye Gord video.

It's Citynews @ 6. I hope they keep the Citynews @ 6 name.  

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 1, 2016 1:16 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 2, 2016 3:17 pm  #8

"city cuts.......everywhere"