sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2016 12:51 pm  #31

Re: U.S. Cable Exec Claims Canada Doing Public Service With Pick-And-Pay

The big cablers have all announced major price hikes in advance of pick-and-pay, which is most assuredly not a coincidence. But as this article from the CBC indicates, that may just be the last straw for many who already don't think they're getting their money's worth.

It's amazing the dinosaur-like thinking going on here. "We're already losing subs hand over fist. What to do? Hey, I know! Let's raise prices. That'll keep them coming back for more..."

The giants should only read some of the more than 400 comments left behind to see what's ahead for them. Pick and pay? More like 'our pick is not to pay.'   

Cable TV price hikes could inspire more cord-cutting

February 11, 2016 3:52 pm  #32

Well, we finally have one provider who has some information:

http://www.sasktel.com/wps/wcm/connect/content/home/maxtv/packages/lite-maxtv/lite-maxtv

Albeit it's Sasktel, I suspect this will give us a good idea of what we can expect around these parts.

In other words, don't get your hopes up.

February 11, 2016 5:34 pm  #33

Yes, there's always choice, but is VMedia any good? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6c7k-e8G0E

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 11, 2016 6:48 pm  #34

Radiowiz wrote:

Yes, there's always choice, but is VMedia any good? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6c7k-e8G0E

You can see for yourself at any Canada Computers Store.  They usually have a demo unit set up.

It's actually not bad.  Comes off as a bit "cut rate" but there's no doubt the technology is getting there.  Once things progress to h.265 we're really going to see some interesting things happen.

Of course, thanks to the CRTC, IPTV providers can offer their wares to anyone who also subscribes to an affiliated internet provider.  You can't mix IPTV and internet providers.  Why?  Good question.  I'm sure the incumbents (Bell, Rogers et al) have a hand in that decision.

February 11, 2016 9:35 pm  #35

I saw the Sasktel Lite cable package offering for $25 and noticed that it only includes the Canadian networks. But for an extra 5 bucks or so you can add on an Eastern or Western Timeshifting package to get a group of American networks. The question that I'm prompted to now ask is: if you're paying an extra amount of money to receive the American channels, do the Canadian networks still have the right to simsub over the American signal? Or does this now open up a new can of worms?

February 11, 2016 11:09 pm  #36

Hoops McCann wrote:

I saw the Sasktel Lite cable package offering for $25 and noticed that it only includes the Canadian networks. But for an extra 5 bucks or so you can add on an Eastern or Western Timeshifting package to get a group of American networks. The question that I'm prompted to now ask is: if you're paying an extra amount of money to receive the American channels, do the Canadian networks still have the right to simsub over the American signal? Or does this now open up a new can of worms?

The short answer is:  Yes.

I'm a Bell satellite subscriber and I pay an extra $5 for time shifting of both Canadian and U.S. nets.  The West coast feeds are simsubbed when appropriate.