sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2016 10:18 am  #1

i say sim you say sub

is it next year (i thought it was this year) we see all those swell super bowl ads or has that crtc decision gone by the wayside?

Last edited by the original hank (February 8, 2016 10:18 am)

February 8, 2016 10:46 am  #2

Re: i say sim you say sub

I had both the CBS stream and CTV on at the same time. (CTV on cable)
Naturally, the American ads were a lot better while here in Canada most of the ads were ones we have already seen before...I mean like really? Do people who watch the Super Bowl in Canada honestly not already know that 10 BK Chicken nuggets are $1.99 for  limited time only?
BK could have created a special Canadian super bowl ad...but they didn't. 
There was nothing there to make Canadians feel they are missing something if they watch the American feed.
That's what I want Kevin O' Leary to understand. It's time for Canada to create creative ads for the Canadian feed instead of shoving the same crap in our face that has already aired numerous times before.
If CTV wants Canadians to watch the Canadian feed, then make us feel we're missing something! Don't force it on us with a Sim Sub. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 8, 2016 10:51 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 8, 2016 3:26 pm  #3

the "star' said it was to happen but i beleive 2017 is the year simsub super bowl is no more.

Last edited by the original hank (February 8, 2016 3:30 pm)

February 8, 2016 4:30 pm  #5

Seriously? We as Canadians are (essentially) paying people to debate/argue over s_ _t like this. For what? The right to watch US commercials in real time, while drinking beer and eating wings, when the same commercials will be able to be viewed, mere moments after airing, via the internet, before the beer becomes warm and the wings get cold? Seriously?

F' me!!!! Where do I line-up to get a job like that?. Never mind. I would be fired, or never hired to begin with, for what I would have to say to anyone if they told me I had to deal with 'issues' like this on a regular basis.

In my everyday life I do all that I can to avoid commercials/advertisements from entering my consciuous environment.What is it with 'these people' that go out of their way to fight for the 'right' to be unduly influenced into buying products they likely are already aware of, and have just as likely already made up their minds as to whether or not they're going to buy (the product) or not?

Thanks for your collective time to read this.

I needed to let off some steam and this worked a treat!

February 8, 2016 4:44 pm  #6

Yes, seriously.
Seeing the American ads during the Superbowl is all that matters to me.
I was nice enough to have both CTV and CBS running.
I should be allowed to see both freely without having to use internet to see it later.
With or without CTV. 
CTV should work harder to make people believe they'll actually miss a good (Canadian) ad if they're watching the American ads. Simple as that.

February 8, 2016 5:14 pm  #7

DeepTracks wrote:

Seriously? We as Canadians are (essentially) paying people to debate/argue over s_ _t like this. For what? The right to watch US commercials in real time, while drinking beer and eating wings, when the same commercials will be able to be viewed, mere moments after airing, via the internet, before the beer becomes warm and the wings get cold? Seriously?

F' me!!!! Where do I line-up to get a job like that?. Never mind. I would be fired, or never hired to begin with, for what I would have to say to anyone if they told me I had to deal with 'issues' like this on a regular basis.

In my everyday life I do all that I can to avoid commercials/advertisements from entering my consciuous environment.What is it with 'these people' that go out of their way to fight for the 'right' to be unduly influenced into buying products they likely are already aware of, and have just as likely already made up their minds as to whether or not they're going to buy (the product) or not?

Thanks for your collective time to read this.

I needed to let off some steam and this worked a treat!

To some degree, I have to agree with you.  When I hear people whining about the evils of simsub I have to chuckle to myself.  Yes, it is annoying when the cuts are sloppy and parts of the original programming are cut off and I wish the Canadian nets would  do something about that, but it's not the end of the world.

I don't go out of my way to avoid commercials.  In fact, they don't bother me at all and when they're as well done as last year's Snickers Superbowl spot, I'm quite happy to watch it again.  (and I don't remember the last time I bought a Snickers bar)

So, if this goes through, I guess nobody in Canada will is going to broadcast the Superbowl because it's not worth it.

For the rest of us who really couldn't care less about a football game, I did rather enjoy the Border Security marathon on NatGeo Canada last night.  I didn't realize they did a 4th series that takes place in the U.S.  Cool!!!

February 8, 2016 7:32 pm  #8

For context, American cable/sat companies can't even carry more than one network affiliate. (A few exception here or there, I'd assume.)

February 8, 2016 7:35 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

CTV should work harder to make people believe they'll actually miss a good (Canadian) ad if they're watching the American ads. Simple as that.

CTV doesn't create the ads. They have no control over this.

February 8, 2016 8:03 pm  #10

This whole thing is ridiculous. 

CBS paid the NFL for the US rights, CTV paid them for the Canadian rights - they're not some pirate just rebroadcasting it for free.

Do you really think CBS would tolerate a network one channel up on the dial playing the Superbowl, except with Swiss Chalet and Canadian Tire spots?

If you want American commercials, move there. Or watch them online like everyone else.

February 8, 2016 11:17 pm  #11

I want to be entertained...PERIOD.  It's touted as one of the GREAT TV moments of the year and it better damn well be 100% outstanding.  CTV's presentation is NOT great.  It's merely ho-hum and typical...just exactly as if it's ANY OTHER SUNDAY IN THE SEASON.  Yawwwwwwwwwwwn!!!  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  Poorly done.

If there's entertainment to be had during stop sets that's a GOOD thing.  So Peter...while it may generally be advisable to always skip commercials running on CTV at any cost...Superbowl commercials as part of the complete package are just that and we shouldn't have to shift a hip in order to find and enjoy that part of the unique and special  show.

The highest ratings of the year for TV?  Why?  The game itself  was kind of 'iffy'.  1/2 time was saved by Bruno Mars 'cause Cold Play was kinda average and 'who's her arse' just stomps [like a Clydesdale] on her previously begotten laurels...both literally and figuratively.

That said...and given that it was the 50th anniversary edition...more than just a crummy 50 logo was in order.  CBS missed the boat during the comfines of the actual game telecast.  The only visuals which paid tribute to the previous 49 years happened during the 1/2 time show...and they were only all about musicians.

What?  No one else ever played or starred in a Superbowl?  Not according to ANYTHING I saw while the clock was engaged...from 07:30 to 30:00...or 30:00 to 60:00.  Sorry...I missed the first 1/8 of the game.

The 3rd highest rated TV show ever in America.  And that was the best that they could do?  That it was decidedly worse in Canada is just par for the course.  The excitement happening on the golf course between Hideki Matsuyama and Rickie Fowler in Scottsdale, Arizona was far more riveting, exciting and entertaining...especially for the 618,365 who paid to be there between Thursday and Sunday.  [There were 201,003 there Saturday alone.]

And guess what?  Not one of the people competing on the links even once pointed up at the sky.  How refreshing!!!

Last edited by Old Codger (February 8, 2016 11:34 pm)

February 9, 2016 9:54 am  #12

Don wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

CTV doesn't create the ads. They have no control over this.

I don't really care who creates what. The point is made. MAKE BETTER CANADIAN ADS!!!
PERIOD!! 
Forget about the sim sub and simply leave the Canadian viewer believing that they're missing some GOOD Canadian ads.

February 9, 2016 10:05 am  #13

Don wrote:

This whole thing is ridiculous. 

CBS paid the NFL for the US rights, CTV paid them for the Canadian rights - they're not some pirate just rebroadcasting it for free.

Do you really think CBS would tolerate a network one channel up on the dial playing the Superbowl, except with Swiss Chalet and Canadian Tire spots?

If you want American commercials, move there. Or watch them online like everyone else.

I never said anything about a pirate anything, myself.
No  Canadian should have to travel to the States to see the American ads.
I don't really care who paid what.
I still expect to see the American ads freely.
No excuses.
Like I said, don't like no sim sub? Get up off your ass and make better fresh new Canadian ads. 
I don' really care who is responsible for what.
The sim sub has to go, and that's that.
Leave the Canadian viewer believing that they'll miss something instead of dictating a sim sub.

February 9, 2016 5:08 pm  #14

Whether you care or not, that's how business works.

MAKE BETTER CANADIAN ADS!!!
PERIOD!! 

Unbelievable. There's about 6 hours a year that anyone gives a crap. The ads are all run by massive companies though agencies. They put some extra push into American spots for this one occasion because of scale. Suggesting that networks compete against others providing the same programming that they haven't paid the regional right for, on the basis of commercial quality is completely absurd.

But, yes, I know, you don't care how things actually work,

Last edited by Don (February 9, 2016 5:09 pm)

February 10, 2016 11:18 am  #15

Don wrote:

Whether you care or not, that's how business works.

MAKE BETTER CANADIAN ADS!!!
PERIOD!! 

Unbelievable. There's about 6 hours a year that anyone gives a crap. The ads are all run by massive companies though agencies. They put some extra push into American spots for this one occasion because of scale. Suggesting that networks compete against others providing the same programming that they haven't paid the regional right for, on the basis of commercial quality is completely absurd.

But, yes, I know, you don't care how things actually work,

The sim sub is still not welcome in my home no matter how you put it.
You'll just have to find another way to make money, I guess.