sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2019 12:43 am  #1

Poll Question -- Should Zoomer Radio fire Ben Mercer ??

For hanging out with that Nazi Faith Goldy ?? 

Last edited by cash (April 19, 2019 12:45 am)

Should Zoomer Radio fire Ben Mercer ??

April 22, 2019 12:07 am  #2

Re: Poll Question -- Should Zoomer Radio fire Ben Mercer ??

thanks for the responses. 

April 22, 2019 2:20 pm  #3

Chuck99 wrote:

I think there would have been more Yes votes if Ben Mercer hosted a weekday news/talk program on Newstalk 1010 or GNR 640.  But his Zoomer show is a music program, he has a co-host (Norm Edwards) and it only airs for one hour on Thursday and Friday afternoon.  So he is not exactly a major player on 740.  But that also makes him more expendable if management decides that his services are no longer required.

Not sure if the average listener picks up on this but he is all over a lot of 740's imaging 

April 22, 2019 8:18 pm  #4

FWIW Twitter has suspended Jill Colton (Ben's wife). If you're familiar with what it takes to get shut down on Twitter, that's saying something.

Considering Ben and Jill have appeared together very publicly... and he shares her views.. would people be disappointed in Zoomer radio if he remains on-air.... 🤔

Last edited by betaylored (April 22, 2019 8:24 pm)

April 22, 2019 10:08 pm  #5

betaylored wrote:

FWIW Twitter has suspended Jill Colton (Ben's wife). If you're familiar with what it takes to get shut down on Twitter, that's saying something.

Considering Ben and Jill have appeared together very publicly... and he shares her views.. would people be disappointed in Zoomer radio if he remains on-air.... 🤔

I'm leery of a system where people get fired when nothing truly disturbing happens on the job. Some powerful entity out there might one day decide my views should get me fired. That said, my views are 100% at odds with his. But look on the bright side - continued employment in music programming keeps him busy. Bargains aren't always obvious...

Last edited by Saul (April 22, 2019 10:08 pm)

April 22, 2019 11:13 pm  #6

Chuck99 wrote:

Saul wrote:

betaylored wrote:

I'm leery of a system where people get fired when nothing truly disturbing happens on the job. 

I respect your opinion because one could argue that his personal views are irrelevant because he is an announcer and music show host.  If he was a reporter or talk show host, his appearance with Faith Goldy on her Youtube channel would be definite grounds for dismissal.

I get you re journalism vs music. Still, I wonder (I say this actually wondering - not knowing) how Canadian employment law would define "definite grounds for dismissal" in this kind of situation.

April 23, 2019 12:58 am  #7

Can  you fire someone for being batshit crazy ??

April 24, 2019 10:03 pm  #8

Good luck to this guy getting a job on mainstream news radio.

April 25, 2019 9:00 am  #9

cash wrote:

Good luck to this guy getting a job on mainstream news radio.

Ben isn't interested and doesn't care. Radio is a fun part time gig for him.