sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2016 10:50 pm  #1

Al Jazeera America Going Dark

I'm honestly not sure if this is the same entity that's on some cable systems in Canada, since I've never watched it, but the network beloved by Osama bin Laden and his cohorts in crime will be off the air in the U.S. in April. Can't say I'm surprised. A majority of Americans never quite trusted the channel, whose Arabic counterpart is infamous for giving voice to whatever latest terrorist proclamation comes out, and has often been accused of being a propaganda arm for extremists and virulently anti-Semitic. 

As one reader commented in the link below:

"I want to read the transcript from the meeting when some group of I am sure fairly well educated guys sat in a room and started the discussion with "I think the American people would be interested in a news service from the Islamic point of view."

Whatever you believe, the idea of launching a TV network with ties to the Middle East that so few Americans trust seemed ill fated from the start. The network cites trouble getting an audience and the tough economics of the current broadcasting landscape, as well as declining revenues from oil in founding country Qatar as just some of the reasons for the move.

There will likely be a large number of job losses, although the network's spin is that it will be dedicating more resources to its online presence in order to keep serving its 'loyal' viewers in the U.S.

No word yet on what's replacing it, but former VP Al Gore famously received $500 million for the channel back when it was called Current TV.

Al Jazeera to Shut Down American News Channel

January 13, 2016 11:16 pm  #2

Re: Al Jazeera America Going Dark

The version in Canada is Al Jazeera English.  It is not the same at all.  If you're interested in understanding the Middle East their newscasts are very good at presenting both sides of the major issues.  They also produce excellent documentaries.  https://www.youtube.com/user/AlJazeeraEnglish

The American version, from what I saw, reported on the typical news in the US, but did it in a PBS style.  It wasn't very flashy and didn't have the extreme points of view from the left or the right. 

January 13, 2016 11:33 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I'm honestly not sure if this is the same entity that's on some cable systems in Canada, since I've never watched it, but the network beloved by Osama bin Laden and his cohorts in crime will be off the air in the U.S. in April. Can't say I'm surprised. A majority of Americans never quite trusted the channel, whose Arabic counterpart is infamous for giving voice to whatever latest terrorist proclamation comes out, and has often been accused of being a propaganda arm for extremists and virulently anti-Semitic. 

As one reader commented in the link below:

"I want to read the transcript from the meeting when some group of I am sure fairly well educated guys sat in a room and started the discussion with "I think the American people would be interested in a news service from the Islamic point of view."

Whatever you believe, the idea of launching a TV network with ties to the Middle East that so few Americans trust seemed ill fated from the start. The network cites trouble getting an audience and the tough economics of the current broadcasting landscape, as well as declining revenues from oil in founding country Qatar as just some of the reasons for the move.

There will likely be a large number of job losses, although the network's spin is that it will be dedicating more resources to its online presence in order to keep serving its 'loyal' viewers in the U.S.

No word yet on what's replacing it, but former VP Al Gore famously received $500 million for the channel back when it was called Current TV.

Al Jazeera to Shut Down American News Channel

The picture of the middle east that so few in the west trust  is framed by the likes of FOX TV and the right wing hate machine and now their biggest mouth piece - Donald Trump but guess what very  few in the middle east trust Al Jazeera . The reason - The govt of close US allay Qatar who are aligned to Saudi Arabia - home of the most virulent form of Islamic fundamentalism and if you follow the money trail of terrorism funding  most roads lead to yes some of America's biggest friends in the middle east. The economics of oil trump everything, pardon the pun, Ironically with declining oil prices the network is citing the economy. 

Last edited by Fitz (January 14, 2016 8:31 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 14, 2016 9:33 pm  #4

Prod Guy wrote:

The version in Canada is Al Jazeera English.  It is not the same at all.  If you're interested in understanding the Middle East their newscasts are very good at presenting both sides of the major issues.  They also produce excellent documentaries.  https://www.youtube.com/user/AlJazeeraEnglish

The American version, from what I saw, reported on the typical news in the US, but did it in a PBS style.  It wasn't very flashy and didn't have the extreme points of view from the left or the right. 

You have point as David Shuster was a real journalist. The comments section on this piece covers some of the above as well as my point about distrust in the mid east because of the fact that the network is Qatar based.Duplicity at work ?

.Al Jazeera America Will Shut Down By April 30

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/