sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2019 11:01 am  #1

CKNT heard by DXer in Newfoundland

New log on Medium Wave (AM) radio early this morning
Surprised that I hadn't heard this one before now.

960 khz - CKNT - Mississauga, ONTARIO 9:22 UTC 3/19/19 w/ mention of Barrie and Whitby , Credit Union mentions, Newstalk Sauga 9-60 ID, website mentioned. Mississauga Steelheads / Canadian Blood Services Auction, talk about Canadian music group "Prism"

AM Station # 1889
Ontario AM Station # 43
Canadian AM Station # 157

Receiver:
Yaesu FRG - 100 w/ 600 foot/ 183 metre 14 gauge insulated random copper wire to South East @ 135 Degrees

Grid Square GN37JR

March 19, 2019 11:04 am  #2

Re: CKNT heard by DXer in Newfoundland

The word spreads.

March 19, 2019 11:25 am  #3

Just for my own edification, where do these numbers originate from?

AM Station # 1889
Ontario AM Station # 43

Cheers

Last edited by DeepTracks (March 19, 2019 11:26 am)

March 19, 2019 12:19 pm  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

CKNT in Dildo, Nfld is a perfect match. 

March 19, 2019 12:28 pm  #5

The problem is they may have more listeners in Newfoundland than in the GTA!

March 19, 2019 1:33 pm  #6

The wind must have been blowing from west to east.  

March 19, 2019 2:22 pm  #7

DeepTracks wrote:

AM Station # 1889
Ontario AM Station # 43

Cheers

My guess is this is the for the DX'ers personal reference. 1889 AM stations picked up to date... and 43 were in Ontario.

March 19, 2019 2:36 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Are they still doing newscasts over a phone line?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 19, 2019 4:09 pm  #9

TheWiz wrote:

DeepTracks wrote:

AM Station # 1889
Ontario AM Station # 43

Cheers

My guess is this is the for the DX'ers personal reference. 1889 AM stations picked up to date... and 43 were in Ontario.

Precisely...
He's heard a ton of stuff ... I've set up temporary rigs on the s.e. tip of the Avalon Peninsula, basically facing UK / Spain/Brazil ... and have heard AM from China, South Africa, India ...every continent but Oceania. And darn good listenable signals. 

March 19, 2019 4:12 pm  #10

Dale Patterson wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Dunno. But last weekend they were running a contest for callers, with a  416 number. Tried calling, was told the message box was full. A few minutes later they gave a time check that was really far off ... turned out it was a repeat. So no chances of winning those Gordon Lightfoot tickets unless I had a ouji board. I actually knew the answer to their skill testing question...

March 19, 2019 5:00 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

True in my case.

After seeing a couple of posts regarding ok reception in Whitby,  I decided to try again.  I live in northern Whitby (Brooklin: Highways 12 & 7) and can honestly say that I cannot get a decent signal.  My second floor condo fronts west and an empty lot is on the adjacent property.  Despite this the station is practically non existent for me over the air.  The same is true for car reception.

March 19, 2019 5:28 pm  #12

Media Observer wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

True in my case.

After seeing a couple of posts regarding ok reception in Whitby,  I decided to try again.  I live in northern Whitby (Brooklin: Highways 12 & 7) and can honestly say that I cannot get a decent signal.  My second floor condo fronts west and an empty lot is on the adjacent property.  Despite this the station is practically non existent for me over the air.  The same is true for car reception.

Well I'll tell ya...you aint missing much 

March 19, 2019 5:29 pm  #13

Saul wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

turned out it was a repeat. So no chances of winning those Gordon Lightfoot tickets unless I had a ouji board. I actually knew the answer to their skill testing question...

March 19, 2019 5:32 pm  #14

markow202 wrote:

Well I'll tell ya...you aint missing much  

this is in fact the hottest topic since wet t-shirts at the 1985 CHIN picnic

March 19, 2019 5:52 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

...and more mentions on SOWNY than actual listeners.

March 19, 2019 5:57 pm  #16

I continue to be amazed by how much interest there is in this station. Perhaps there's something about the "WKRP" nature of the place that accounts for it. Or perhaps it's just the fact that someone thought they could make money with an expensive News/Talk format in a small market like Mississauga. Either way, it's a train wreck and it's hard to look (listen?) away.

March 19, 2019 6:03 pm  #17

Im finding it comical too.  I actually wonder if the station owners/managers (if those exist) of CKNT even know about this board and read these posts?

March 19, 2019 6:13 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

I continue to be amazed by how much interest there is in this station. Perhaps there's something about the "WKRP" nature of the place that accounts for it. Or perhaps it's just the fact that someone thought they could make money with an expensive News/Talk format in a small market like Mississauga. Either way, it's a train wreck and it's hard to look (listen?) away.

If still on the air this Thanksgiving Day,  perhaps they will drop turkeys on Square One ?

March 19, 2019 6:56 pm  #19

Saul wrote:

Precisely...
He's heard a ton of stuff ... I've set up temporary rigs on the s.e. tip of the Avalon Peninsula, basically facing UK / Spain/Brazil ... and have heard AM from China, South Africa, India ...every continent but Oceania. And darn good listenable signals. 

If and when "Grapevine Radio" actually ever gets on to 1220, I have no doubt that Allen Willie will hear them in Newfoundland.  Although he'll have to put up with interference from Radio Globo in Rio De Janeiro (and of course WHKW-Cleveland).

March 19, 2019 8:38 pm  #20

I suspect someone's asleep at the switch. They're clearly dominating 960 at 8:35 pm ... no say they should. I'm 2.5 hours drive northeast of Mississauga. They should be on reduced power after sunset. 

November 11, 2019 12:25 pm  #21

Media Observer wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

True in my case.

Apparently CKNT is now available on the Tune in streaming site. No idea how long it has been there.

November 11, 2019 3:06 pm  #22

geo wrote:

mace wrote:

My second floor condo fronts west and an empty lot is on the adjacent property.  Despite this the station is practically non existent for me over the air.  The same is true for car reception.   

Can you get AM 800 CJBQ (Freddy Vette 2 - 7:00) out of Cobourg?      Might work better if your unit faced east

No luck on AM 800,  however I can get AM 820 out of Hamilton.

November 11, 2019 7:33 pm  #23

Media Observer wrote:

geo wrote:

mace wrote:

My second floor condo fronts west and an empty lot is on the adjacent property.  Despite this the station is practically non existent for me over the air.  The same is true for car reception.   

Can you get AM 800 CJBQ (Freddy Vette 2 - 7:00) out of Cobourg?      Might work better if your unit faced east

No luck on AM 800,  however I can get AM 820 out of Hamilton.

Just a little correction - CJBQ is in Belleville.

November 11, 2019 7:50 pm  #24

As a five month old thread about CKNT being heard in Newfoundland has popped up again, I should mention that I was in PEI last week and looked for CKNT several times.   So far no dice.  Just Plattsburgh, Calgary, New Haven and Cuba.  I have several more recordings to go through.  Perhaps they CKNT will show up on one of those.

But the other Mississauga station (CJMR) was present most of the time on 1320.