sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2016 12:19 pm  #1

CES 2016: Connected Cars Are Here, And Terrestrial Radio Is In Trouble

Not really a lot new here, but there's no question that if regular radio loses control of the car, it could lose its raison d'etre - although as long as there's local content, someone will be listening.

CES 2016: Connected Cars Are Here, And Terrestrial Radio Is In Trouble

The article also mentions iHeartRadio, which coincidentally spawned this piece listed as being from the Canadian Press, although it's nothing more than a press release.

Bell Media joins with iHeartRadio to offer Canadians multidevice digital radio 

I suppose this means there will be no 680News, Fan 590, or CHFI on the app when it launches.  

January 6, 2016 1:22 pm  #2

Re: CES 2016: Connected Cars Are Here, And Terrestrial Radio Is In Trouble

RadioActive wrote:

I suppose this means there will be no 680News, Fan 590, or CHFI on the app when it launches.  

Not at all likely, plus you'll most likely have to be a Bell or Virgin mobile customer to access on Smart Phone.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 6, 2016 2:10 pm  #3

likely have to be a Bell or Virgin mobile customer to access on Smart Phone.

Not likely. Some of these deals are about unique content to drive subs, others are about exposure for the content. This is the latter, so it will be carrier agnostic like both Bell and Rogers' current radio apps are.

Agree though we won't see Rogers' stations on the app, though we may see a smaller player or two, like Newcap or Vista, get on board, much like Cumulus has their stations on the American iHeart app.

Last edited by Don (January 6, 2016 2:11 pm)

January 6, 2016 2:45 pm  #4

last year's prediction was that we will hold our smart fone over an old pizza box and a drone will bring fresh pizza to the door

how's that coming along?

January 6, 2016 4:12 pm  #5

This will likely cause heart palpitations to 90% of the folks that visit here...BMW offers no AM option in any of its electric vehicles...admittedly that's a miniscule segment of the market but this might be the tip of the snowball turning into the proverbial iceberg -  http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/i3/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-bmw-i3-no-am-radio.html

January 6, 2016 4:15 pm  #6

Ms. C. wrote:

last year's prediction was that we will hold our smart fone over an old pizza box and a drone will bring fresh pizza to the door

how's that coming along?

Pretty well according to Amazon...they're ready to pull the trigger...just waiting on the usual government red tape...drones will bring your package and the rain! http://www.amazon.com/b?node=8037720011

January 6, 2016 6:44 pm  #7

Many radio stations couldn't be any less compelling...particularly the regional 'money savers'.  Sad to see them expire but BYE BYE.  YOU earned ut...every second of every minute of every hour of every day of every week of every month when you no longer serviced the needs of those actually listening to THE  RADIO.   You forgot it was ALL about them...and not at all about you.  Fool.                                                                                                                                                              

January 6, 2016 9:08 pm  #8

but why are investors lining up to establish "local radio" in one-hearse towns from Aylmer to Uxbridge?

January 7, 2016 7:06 pm  #9

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this, but iHeartRadio is in a LOT of financial trouble. And when I say a lot, I mean a LOT. Try debt of well over $20 billion US. That's more than the entire radio industry's annual revenues. Methinks IHM should concentrate on fixing their own financial house than partner with Canadian broadcasting companies to put their apps on people's smartphones.