sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2019 6:16 pm  #1

Mike Cleaver

Fuck I hate writing these things, especially when the subject line tells the whole story before you even click on it.

Terry posted the sad news on Mike's Facebook page about an hour ago.

In many ways Mike's 'sound' was the Chum news sound.  You can still hear it in some of the newscasters he worked with or influenced today.

http://mikecleaver.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-fourth-radio-station-1050-chum.html

RIP Buddy.  

Damn.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 10, 2019 6:25 pm  #2

Re: Mike Cleaver

Cosford found this video that Mike had shared on his Facebook feed.  Kinda perfect in so many ways.  

Last edited by ig (February 10, 2019 6:25 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 10, 2019 11:38 pm  #3

I'm shocked at the news of Mike's passing. Like many here, I followed his regular updates on social media about his health battles. It sounded like he was putting up the good fight to overcome all odds.

Growing up in Montreal I was unaware of his news career at CHUM. But when I came to Toronto I heard his newscasts on CHUM-FM and recognized how big a talent he was, Then while Ops Manager at CFRB, Gary Slaight asked what I thought about Mike Cleaver and if I thought his anchoring style would fit in with our news sound. 

I thought we could use a different sound at night.  He had a flare no one else had on CFRB. His writing was tight, his delivery upbeat and his voice was awesome. He was a radio legend, a true original who marched to his own beat and was never afraid to speak his mind - especially to management types like me. 

With his passing, Canada has lost one of its better radio newsmen. RIP Mike Cleaver and condolences to his partner, his family and extended radio family and all his fans. 

February 10, 2019 11:41 pm  #4

Mike and I worked together at CHUM & CFRB.  He noted on Facebook recently that he was on the mend.  I'm devastated. 

RIP Mike Cleaver

February 11, 2019 5:05 pm  #5

Thank you Mike Cleaver for your contributions and unique news delivery in the grand top 40 days of radio that I grew up listening to.  Rest in peace.  One of a kind and legend from radio's hey day.