sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2019 3:44 pm  #1

"Classic Cuts" on the old Rock 102.5

Does anyone remember in the mid-1980's a radio program that used to be on Rock 102.5 out of Buffalo NY that was called "Classic Cuts"?

In my basement I recently discovered a cassette I had recorded off the radio waaaaaay back then. It was this program "Classic Cuts" on Rock 102,
and this particular show featured an hour of music by The Jefferson Airplane.

Rock 102 did not play this style of music back then, so it was a real treat to hear it.
Might have been when 97 Rock was off the air, maybe?

I'm pretty sure it was weekly, on Fridays.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here remembers the program, who hosted it, and maybe knows where I can get playlists of other shows.

I have three soundclips of the DJ host that I copied from my recording after I digitized it on to my computer:

Any info would be greatly appreceiated.

https://soundcloud.com/user-381062928/who-is-this-and-when-was-it-01

https://soundcloud.com/user-381062928/who-is-this-and-when-was-it-02

https://soundcloud.com/user-381062928/who-is-this-and-when-was-it-03

Last edited by Gelid (January 13, 2019 7:47 pm)

"Don't be helpful, be available."

January 13, 2019 5:01 pm  #2

Re: "Classic Cuts" on the old Rock 102.5

I have a boxed set of vinyl discs with many, many episodes of Classic Cuts on them.  Haven't digitized any of them yet though.

January 13, 2019 6:00 pm  #3

Wow! Are they transcription discs made at the station, or were they available for purchase.

Not that I'm looking to buy, but I have never ran into those, and I am always digging through old records at thrift stores, garage sales, etc.

Last edited by Gelid (January 13, 2019 7:39 pm)

January 13, 2019 8:01 pm  #4

Gelid wrote:

Does anyone remember in the mid-1980's a radio program that used to be on Rock 102.5 out of Buffalo NY that was called "Classic Cuts"?

In 1985, l recall this right after they abandoned Stereo Rock automation the year before.  I'll have to listen but I remember Randy Scruffari (sp?) hosting this.  Good listening for sure.

And yes, this was the period where 97 Rock switched to light AC and became WGR.  So I guess Rock 102 was trying to fill the void.

For that four year period, it was odd hearing the odd snap or pop from records played on Rock 102.  That had been absent from the station's sound during their automation days.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 13, 2019 9:17 pm  #5

Jody Thornton wrote:

I'll have to listen but I remember Randy Scruffari (sp?) hosting this.  Good listening for sure.

Could this have been Brandy Scrufari, by any chance? 

Sounds like I'm getting closer to the shows playlists and dates aired. 

January 13, 2019 9:33 pm  #6

Gelid wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

I'll have to listen but I remember Randy Scruffari (sp?) hosting this.  Good listening for sure.

That sounds right

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 13, 2019 9:39 pm  #7

Jody Thornton wrote:

Gelid wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

That sounds right

Thanks! 

January 14, 2019 11:13 am  #8

Actually, when Q-FM-97 disappeared at the end of 1984, it was replaced by the very soft A/C formatted WRLT from Jan 85 to Sept 88. Then the calls became WGR-FM with a more oldies based format as I recall. The current 97Rock/WGRF arrived sometime in 1991.

January 14, 2019 7:08 pm  #9

I hate when you find out something like this well after the fact.  But it happened two years ago

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?693566-John-Borders-%93Johnny-Dark%94-at-Dallas%92s-original-top-40-KLIF

That's when John Borders (who was the automated voice of Rock 102) passed away. 

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 15, 2019 3:31 am  #10

Jody Thornton wrote:

I hate when you find out something like this well after the fact.  But it happened two years ago

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?693566-John-Borders-%93Johnny-Dark%94-at-Dallas%92s-original-top-40-KLIF

That's when John Borders (who was the automated voice of Rock 102) passed away. 

Before I had my own fav music style, my family would listen to Rock 102.
I'll never forget that voice. 

January 15, 2019 10:52 am  #11

Galid, they (Classic Cuts) were on vinyl discs sent to radio stations from the Production company in New York and never available to the public.