sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 11, 2018 5:16 pm  #1

Unfortunate Timing For A Radio Commercial

I was out walking the dog this morning when I heard a commercial for Rogers, touting a deal for one of its much vaunted new phones. Only problem was the spot openly boasted about how that phone on offer was a "high quality model" made by Huawei. 

In case you haven't been paying attention, that's the Chinese company that's at the centre of a diplomatic row following the arrest of one of its executives in Vancouver. The headlines over the past few days have constantly mentioned that security experts worldwide - including Canada's CSIS - have repeatedly warned against using this company's products, because they could be used by the Chinese government as a spy hack into a country's networks.

Not sure I would want that phone if I was getting a new one and I wonder if they've considered this or might pull the spot altogether until this situation is resolved. 

It's not without precedent. After a plane crash, for example, airlines and travel commercials are often removed from the airwaves for a few weeks until the impact of such a disaster fades from the news. 

December 11, 2018 9:51 pm  #2

Re: Unfortunate Timing For A Radio Commercial

huawei is still a main sponsor of hockey night on cbc, especially the 2nd period break.  probably more of the rogers tie-in you refer to.

December 12, 2018 11:07 am  #3

Re: Unfortunate Timing For A Radio Commercial

Interesting how one radio station is being dragged into this story in B.C. 

Vancouver radio host says Chinese community taking China's side in Meng case

I don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese but I wonder what's being said on CHKT, the Fairchild Chinese language station at 1430 in Toronto?