sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2018 1:03 am  #211

Re: The Songs Oldies Radio Forgot

hey dale, what's you cut off year (early 70's)?

December 5, 2018 2:15 am  #212

the original hank wrote:

hey dale, what's you cut off year (early 70's)?

I'm covering the period from the mid-'50s to the end of the '80s. Just over 700 songs added so far.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 5, 2018 2:40 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 5, 2018 6:22 pm  #213

Born in Harrow, Ontario, Shirley Matthews had a relatively brief recording career, but her million-selling hit was a great one. CanCon, Baby!

The following is from http://torontohistoricaljukebox.blogspot.com/2013/03/big-town-boy-by-shirley-matthews.html
"Back in the 1960s, more than a few Toronto musicians made a name for themselves at the legendary Club Bluenote. It was an after hours soul club on Yonge Street just north of Gerrard. And for a while, Shirley Matthews was the singer with the house band. She'd gotten her start by performing at high school dances while she worked a full-time job as a switchboard operator for Bell. But before long she had a regular gig singing into the wee hours of the morning at the Bluenote, where some of the biggest names in the history of soul music — Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, Edwin Starr, The Righteous Brothers, Jackie Wilson — would stop by to jam after their Toronto shows."

December 7, 2018 7:33 pm  #214

Released in 1972, and peaked at #1 in Canada.

December 8, 2018 12:09 am  #215

Worst songs of all time?  I was thinking The Singing Nun in particular.  Hated it then.  Loathe it now.  Horrible...and she sang it on Ed Sullivan too.

Yes Firz.  Add Some Music to Your Day was/is an all time favourite.  When Brian [et al] sang it at the SMiLE show at Massey Hall back in 2004 I broke down and cried.

Someone suggested a Jimmy Cliff tune.  How about his first hit [up here]?  Wonderful World Beautiful People.  Other Reggae hits which have fallen from view?  Israelites, Desmond Dekker and the Aces.  Double Barrel, Dave and Ansell Collins.  Stir It Up, Hold Me Tight, both by the aforementioned Johnny Nash.

Abergavenny, Shannon. [I liked the song so much I went there just to see it back in 1978.]  The Letter, Arbors.  May I, Bill Deal, Superman, Ides of March.  Friends, Beach Boys.  Jug Band Music, Lovin' Spoonful.

Nice to see the Lovin' Sound on your playlist Dale.  I kept after Brock Fricker [Sylvia's brother] to get them to re-release it on a CD.  They finally did.

More Can Con?  Half Past Midnight, Staccatos.  Private Train, It Never Rains on Maple Lane, We Go Together Well, all 3 by the 5 Man Electrical Band. [oh and 1 more from them  Didn't Know the Time]  Gaslight, Ugly Ducklings.  Keep On Running, Grant Smith and the Power.  Come the Sun, Ian Thomas.  Happy Dreamer and Good to Be By You, both by Jack Cornell.  All That's Necessary, Motherlode, Magic People, If I Call You By Some Name and Another Man's Hair on My Razor all by The Paupers.

Elsewhere?  I Dig Rock 'n' Roll Music, Peter Paul and Mary.  Da Do Ron Ron, Ian Matthews.  Intergalactic Laxative, Donovan  [It'll get you from here to Mars.  Hopefully you'll add some of the above for you trip.]
--------------------------------------

p.s.  If you could feed me a file of Graham Nash and his solo success Chicago I'll give you some more 'stuff'.

Last edited by Lee Marshall (December 8, 2018 12:12 am)

December 8, 2018 12:35 am  #216

Back in '72 and early '73 when I was operating for Jim Paulson, and fairly frequently for Keith Rich, at the ever-so easy listening version of CKEY we were required to perfectly time out every hour exactly in order to hit the 'beep'.  We would often time it out so that we could add this in order to 'nail' :00. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41xZF3EOIQ

Jim and Keith, by the way, were both terrific fellas.  When I began searching for my 1st on-air 'gig' Keith flew me over to Welland, for an interview at CHOW, in his own airplane.  Very cool guy.  I also remember playing quite a few songs by a Jamaican legend who had moved to Toronto and all of his CTL material and solo albums recorded in Toronto were Can Con.  By the early 90s, and after I had been back to host shows at CKEY where good friend Robert Payne remained from my first go round, I moved on to 99.9.  Not long after that I became very close to a terriric guy named Karl Mullings.  Mullo was a long time Jamaican music man and manager.  His best friend?  The late great Jackie Mittoo who was the very same keyboards virtuoso I had played so often at 590 over 20 years earlier.

Small world.  Glad I don't have to dust it.

Last edited by Lee Marshall (December 8, 2018 12:38 am)

December 8, 2018 12:52 am  #217

Lee Marshall wrote:

Worst songs of all time?  I was thinking The Singing Nun in particular.  Hated it then.  Loathe it now.  Horrible...and she sang it on Ed Sullivan too.

Yes Firz.  Add Some Music to Your Day was/is an all time favourite.  When Brian [et al] sang it at the SMiLE show at Massey Hall back in 2004 I broke down and cried.

Someone suggested a Jimmy Cliff tune.  How about his first hit [up here]?  Wonderful World Beautiful People.  Other Reggae hits which have fallen from view?  Israelites, Desmond Dekker and the Aces.  Double Barrel, Dave and Ansell Collins.  Stir It Up, Hold Me Tight, both by the aforementioned Johnny Nash.

Abergavenny, Shannon. [I liked the song so much I went there just to see it back in 1978.]  The Letter, Arbors.  May I, Bill Deal, Superman, Ides of March.  Friends, Beach Boys.  Jug Band Music, Lovin' Spoonful.

Nice to see the Lovin' Sound on your playlist Dale.  I kept after Brock Fricker [Sylvia's brother] to get them to re-release it on a CD.  They finally did.

More Can Con?  Half Past Midnight, Staccatos.  Private Train, It Never Rains on Maple Lane, We Go Together Well, all 3 by the 5 Man Electrical Band. [oh and 1 more from them  Didn't Know the Time]  Gaslight, Ugly Ducklings.  Keep On Running, Grant Smith and the Power.  Come the Sun, Ian Thomas.  Happy Dreamer and Good to Be By You, both by Jack Cornell.  All That's Necessary, Motherlode, Magic People, If I Call You By Some Name and Another Man's Hair on My Razor all by The Paupers.

Elsewhere?  I Dig Rock 'n' Roll Music, Peter Paul and Mary.  Da Do Ron Ron, Ian Matthews.  Intergalactic Laxative, Donovan  [It'll get you from here to Mars.  Hopefully you'll add some of the above for you trip.]
--------------------------------------

p.s.  If you could feed me a file of Graham Nash and his solo success Chicago I'll give you some more 'stuff'.

Great selections Lee. One tune I have not been able to find is Lovedrops by Barry Allen. Anyone have an MP3 of it.? I'm at dale_patterson@hotmail.com.

I'll send you that Graham Nash tune but I'll need your e-mail.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 8, 2018 1:00 am)

December 8, 2018 12:58 am  #218

And I have Barry Allen on CD.  That means it's a clean copy.  P.M. Me

December 8, 2018 2:05 am  #219

J'entends Frapper, Pagliaro [What The  Hell I Got too]
On Veut Pas Payer, Madame
Le Petit Roi, Jean Pierre Ferland
Harmonium, Pour Un Instant, Dixie, all by Harmonium [loads more]
Jolie Louise, Daniel Lanois
Cash Moe, Corbeau
Entres Deux Joints, Ordinaire, Fu Man Chu, Lindberg, Robert Charlebois [and lots more]
Bobepine, Plume Latraverse
J'ai l'Rock 'n' Roll Pis Toe, Promenade Sur Mars, Offenbach
Rock Pour Un Gars De Bicycle, Diane Dufresne
La Complainte Du Phoque en Alaska, Montreal, Harmonies Du Soir a Chateauguay, Le Blues D'la Metrople, all by Beau Dommage
Bye Bye Mon Cowboy, Mitsou
Le P'Tit Bonheur, Felix Leclerc
Gen Du Pays, Mon Pays, Gilles Vigneault
Un Peu Plus Haut,  Jean Pierre Ferland & Ginette Reno [she also sang Beautiful Second Hand Man]
CeSoie On Danse Nazilamd, Nanette Workman [from Starmania]

Patrick Norman does some nifty songs for the season en Francaise.  Check him out.  Leonard Cohen was huge there, as he was around the world, en Anglaise.  Celine also scored a few hits there in French like Une Colombe, Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore, Ingognito, L'amour Existe Encore

Last edited by Lee Marshall (December 8, 2018 2:10 am)

December 8, 2018 10:55 am  #220

Dale Patterson wrote:

One tune I have not been able to find is Lovedrops by Barry Allen. Anyone have an MP3 of it.? I'm at dale_patterson@hotmail.com.

Here's Barry's 45, backed with "I Won't be There" I don't have the MP3...

But, here's the original.

December 8, 2018 10:58 am  #221

Thanks Lee and Dial Twister!

December 8, 2018 5:01 pm  #222

Got it, Dale.

December 8, 2018 5:41 pm  #223

Just as a reminder, the direct link to the audio feed is:

http://edge2-a.exa.live365.net/a68406

The web site is at:

https://live365.com/station/a68406

Thanks to the SOWNY community for their continued support and suggestions.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 8, 2018 5:43 pm)

December 9, 2018 6:07 pm  #224

Does this qualify as a top 40 forgotten hit? I doubt it. But it sure was heard by millions of late-night radio buffs for many, many years, on Art Bell's show. Who knows? It may even end up on Oh Wow! Radio. Maybe not. 

Whatever the decision, you know you like it...

December 9, 2018 7:09 pm  #225

Here's a great one. A group called The Iveys had a hit with a song called "Maybe Tomorrow."

Wasn't huge on Billboard - only made it to #67 - but the group did better when they came back with a new name - Badfinger. 

Another classic that made it to the CKFH chart was by a California group called The Vejtables. Not a huge charter, but what a great song. 

Last edited by RadioActive (December 9, 2018 7:17 pm)

December 10, 2018 5:12 pm  #226

Written by Daryl Hall, this cover by Paul Young doesn't seem to get enough airtime, IMHO. Peaking at #1, and Certified Gold in Canada, in 1985, can it really be 33 years since "Everytime You Go Away" was released?

So, what does music mean to people? Read this comment from Youtube...
Brian Poppe (2 years ago)
"My mom used to make me dance with her to this. hated it but id do it again in a heartbeat to see her again. R.I.P. mom. Not a day goes by your not on my mind."

December 10, 2018 6:14 pm  #227

This is For Don Daynard if he still monitors .... takes me back to mid 60's young green lad from Ireland went on a bus trip to the Grand Ole Oprey sponsored by CFGM. Don and his then wife were on the bus trip to Nashville and a young lady scostantly serenaded the weary travellers with her ukelele singing Yellow bird on a continuous loop all the way from Willowdale to Nashville
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntd4WPbll0k

December 10, 2018 8:04 pm  #228

The role CKLW played in bringing lesser-known Canadian songs to SE Michigan, and beyond, can't be mentioned enough times. WTAC (AM 600 in Flint) added some of them a week or two after they made top 10 on CKLW. The other US stations I could hear only added the big hits, like "Sweet City Woman." THX to the Big 8, the soundtrack of our summers included songs like --

and

December 10, 2018 8:07 pm  #229

First heard as fill music to the TOH on NBC "Monitor." Never knew its title until many years later --

December 10, 2018 8:47 pm  #230

I'll try and do you one better, although this isn't one that Dale would be interested in because to my knowledge it never charted anywhere. 

But they actually made a record of the old commercial theme for Number 7 cigarettes, back when that item could still be advertised. I once had a copy but I didn't think anyone else did. So I was surprised (but in retrospect shouldn't have been) that someone has it up on YouTube. Not a bad instrumental if you don't inhale. 

December 10, 2018 8:57 pm  #231

There were a few advertising themes that made it onto the charts, but they were rare. Here are two that managed that feat.

The T-Bones famously recorded "No Matter What Shape Your Stomach's In" as an Alka Seltzer track and it was so well received during its 60 second play on TV that they released it as a single in 1965. Believe it or not, this thing went to #3!

The other one that comes to mind was perhaps more famous. It was based on the infamous late 60s commercial "I'd Like To Teach The World to Sing" for Coke. It became a huge hit for The New Seekers, when it reached #7 - although without the soft drink mentioned. (This jingle was recently resurrected and played an important role in the final episode of "Mad Men.")

December 10, 2018 9:32 pm  #232

How long since any of us heard King Solomon on our friendly local radio station? Or, on any station for that matter?
First released in 1962, and brought back in a great scene in "Dirty Dancing" in 1987, a whole new audience got to appreciate Solomon Burke..

Try not to move while this plays...

December 12, 2018 10:49 am  #233

Baby It's Cold Outside....Haven't heard this one since I last donned my gay apparel. 

December 12, 2018 1:40 pm  #234

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 12, 2018 1:41 pm)

December 12, 2018 5:53 pm  #235

From The Spencer Davis Group, to Traffic, Blind Faith and a solo career, Steve Winwood knows how to wail. From 1966...

Last edited by Dial Twister (December 12, 2018 5:55 pm)

December 13, 2018 2:44 pm  #236

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 13, 2018 2:46 pm)

December 13, 2018 5:20 pm  #237

Is there ever a sadder time than...

December 13, 2018 5:25 pm  #238

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 13, 2018 5:27 pm)

December 13, 2018 5:30 pm  #239

Isn't it amazing how songs will scrape away the dust and cobwebs of time. Remember this one?

December 13, 2018 5:40 pm  #240

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 13, 2018 5:41 pm)