sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2018 12:47 pm  #2

Re: XFL unveils 8 team cities.

Aytononline wrote:

I don't see how this will kill the CFL. There are no Canadian Teams and as noted in the last paragraph. The first XFL only lasted one season. So I don't have very much hope that the new XFL will last very long.

I think his point was not that it will suck up the CFL's audience, but that it will sap the CFL's talent pool, i.e. second-tier and/or a little-too-small but talented American players who turn to the CFL when they do not make the cut in the NFL.

December 6, 2018 1:55 pm  #3

milton wrote:

Aytononline wrote:

I don't see how this will kill the CFL. There are no Canadian Teams and as noted in the last paragraph. The first XFL only lasted one season. So I don't have very much hope that the new XFL will last very long.

I think his point was not that it will suck up the CFL's audience, but that it will sap the CFL's talent pool, i.e. second-tier and/or a little-too-small but talented American players who turn to the CFL when they do not make the cut in the NFL.

Exactly

December 6, 2018 9:54 pm  #4

Chuck99 wrote:

There have been three upstart leagues created since the 1970s (WFL USFL XFL) as an alternative to the NFL, none of which has lasted more than three seasons.  All of the leagues had trouble drawing fans and getting enough viewers to watch on TV because the caliber of football was so much lower than that of the NFL.  I doubt this new league will drive the CFL out of business, unless it generates enough TV viewers, so that one of the networks is willing to pony up enough money to keep it afloat for five or six years.

December 6, 2018 9:57 pm  #5

December 6, 2018 10:01 pm  #6

splunge wrote:

He owned the New Jersey Generals. I wonder what he's doing now?

December 6, 2018 10:11 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

He's in a league of his own?

December 7, 2018 9:16 am  #8

No, it will just force the CFL to raise its salary floor. (It's also highly likely the XFL and the other new spring league will flame out within 5 years.)

December 7, 2018 4:21 pm  #9

Am I the only one who noticed that they'll be playing football at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey in February?  Yikes!  Even if the NY team plays their first games on the road that still makes it March.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 7, 2018 5:54 pm  #10

Hansa wrote:

No, it will just force the CFL to raise its salary floor. (It's also highly likely the XFL and the other new spring league will flame out within 5 years.)

The quality of play in the CFL  is terrible. Having American players going to the XFL will make the CFL unwatchable. The other question is how long will TSN continue to prop up the CFL. 

December 9, 2018 1:03 pm  #11

splunge wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

He's in a league of his own?

splunge for President

December 9, 2018 3:58 pm  #12

It won't change the CFL much.  Most of the key guys are still under contract up here and once they see the empty stands down there in most of the 8 cities they'll merely stay put.  Salaries may go up some but, all in all, it won't change much.  I enjoy CFL football a lot.  Different game.  Different rules.  Different kinds of players required.  Different attitude too.  Most of these guys are playing with a feel for the love of the game.  The multi-mega millionaires down south in the NFL?  Perhaps not to the same extent.  Oh and you don't have to be a minimum of 6 ft 6 inches and 350 or more pounds to play up here.  As for TSN propping up the CFL I'd say it's quite the opposite.  TSN needs Canadian Content.  The sponsors step up to the plate because it works and the league is expanding east.  So uninformed prognosticating is really only that.

Warren Moon's departure didn't finish the CFL off.  The loss of the highly arrogant and only occasionally successful [when it counts] 'Bo' Levi 'Dang' won't matter much.  For him the time to leave was and is now either way.  New 'league' or not.