sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2018 8:19 pm  #1

The Jazz Fm fund drive is on air, it looks like it is falling short

I have been listening to the Jazz FM fund drive and it looks like they are under goal...at about the $65,000 mark...as a donor/member, this concerns me...as the inside political shite that happened earlier this year has had a bad impact on their listeners.

I do wonder how this station is going to shift forward...I find there is a big programming hole in not having a morning show host, not a fun thing to listen too and that their is a lot of "Spin" about how great this station is. It is a great station and innovative...but it seems to have lost it's soul over the past 6 months.

I hope that listeners donate and cough up a few sheckels in these donor fatigued times.

What is your take on this and the future of this station? 

Comment away!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (November 29, 2018 10:40 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 29, 2018 9:32 pm  #2

Re: The Jazz Fm fund drive is on air, it looks like it is falling short

I regretfully cancelled my donation when the you know what hit the fan.  As long as Ross Porter and the current Board of Directors are there, that won't change.  Up until then, I'd been a regular donor since the format flip in 2000.

I might add that as a charitable, not-for-profit corporation with a special license from the CRTC, their goverance model is rather closed door and hierarchical.  Having their "independant" consultant (on the personnel situation) report to one of the Directors being investigated screams conflict of interest to me.  I want no part of this group.  

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (November 29, 2018 10:12 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 30, 2018 12:08 am  #3

A dying genre. Good luck to them, 

November 30, 2018 9:30 am  #4

Now a former PD is suing them - the third legal action against the station so far. 

JAZZ.FM91 faces third lawsuit

November 30, 2018 1:06 pm  #5

Read that article RA.  [At least seemingly] What a shit-show!  If accurate I wouldn't want any part of working for that.  No wonder they can't raise the funds they want/need.  Looks like it could all be heading right back out the door.  outlets which do their [ex] employees wrong sit very low down on my list.

As many who know me would know I am a long time Reggae guy..  I own one of the largest 'old hits' collections on the continent.  I mean I'm into it.  If this was, instead, a Reggae station, run by the same historical crew sitting in a similar 'pile', and they offered me really good bucks to host a show there I wouldn't even consider doing it.  As for donations?  Not a chance. 

Last edited by Lee Marshall (November 30, 2018 2:54 pm)

December 3, 2018 9:31 am  #6

cash wrote:

A dying genre. Good luck to them, 

That's been said about jazz for about 80 yrs.

Last edited by Scraps (December 3, 2018 9:32 am)

December 4, 2018 10:11 pm  #7

Seems like this membership drive will never end.   Heard the station between its commercial clusters this afternoon and they were begging for listeners to phone.  Brad Barker and a female guest delayed playing music until they received pledge calls.  That tactic didn't work.   Those calls never came so eventually they went to music.   I wonder how many other listeners stuck with the banter?   It certainly is a tune out factor.   I went back to Spotify.  Perhaps I'll tune in again next week.  or not.  And while on that topic, some of the "liners" that now appear on the station boast that it is the greatest jazz station.  Greatest where?  The "greatest" ----  Really?   Even commercial jazz stations like TSF Paris,  provide a diversity of jazz, though they have commercials, there's a lot more music being played, including great European jazz, that CJRT's program director probably never discovered.  

TSF also carries many live-to-air concerts.  Probably over a dozen a week.   Way more than CJRT.   I guess the "greatest" is in the eye of the beholder.    

December 5, 2018 9:37 am  #8

There is now a pop up on the website that says, "Thank you for supporting us during our Fall Fundraising Campaign! Our award-winning programming is possible because of you! For the love of jazz, thank you!"  No mention of the fundraising goal.  Last I looked they were at about 50% of the $350,000 they wanted to raise. 

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (December 5, 2018 10:01 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 5, 2018 1:10 pm  #9

If I was going to pay to listen to a certain genre of music, I think I would be more inclined to subscribe to Sirius and take advantage off all the channels for the same pricing.

December 5, 2018 1:43 pm  #10

I think the $9 subscription to banter free Spotify/Apple music etc would be anyone's idea of a donation these days for music.  JAZZ FM 91 is basically un-listenable during their donation crap.  

Last edited by markow202 (December 5, 2018 1:44 pm)