sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2018 3:03 pm  #1

NBC News

Did Bell media strike a deal with NBC News, I just heard something on NT 1010 saying they now carry NBC News.

December 1, 2018 5:35 pm  #2

Re: NBC News

I thought I was hearing things in the car this afternoon.  CFRB has been a CBS "affiliate" for eons.

December 1, 2018 5:37 pm  #3

I heard that, too. And I wondered about what happened to their long touted exclusive deal with CBS? I remember when NBC, then owned by General Electric, got out of radio entirely, shutting down WNBC in New York in 1988. I can't quite remember when they started to get back into it, but I suspect it had something to do with Comcast taking over the network. 

There is one thing in that promo that I do have to question: they make the claim that CFRB is the most listened to station in Canada. Not the most listened to talk station, but the most listened to period. On what are they basing that claim? 

December 2, 2018 8:34 pm  #4

According to Wikipedia, NBC News Radio ISN'T owned by NBC, but has contracted the name and the reporters to use as a separate news service. Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice. 

You can hear the network's 24-hour news wheel output here

December 2, 2018 9:20 pm  #5

It looks like NBC radio news is part of the iheartradio network.

I'm not sure if this also affects the tv news side of Bell media, but if it does we may see NBC reporters on local and National CTV news programming.

December 2, 2018 10:05 pm  #6

Aytononline wrote:

It looks like NBC radio news is part of the iheartradio network.

I'm not sure if this also affects the tv news side of Bell media, but if it does we may see NBC reporters on local and National CTV news programming.

I think CTV does air NBC news reports on occasion, but I've also noticed them turning up on Global as well. So perhaps there's no market exclusivity on this in Canada.  

December 3, 2018 12:40 am  #7

Aytononline wrote:

Did Bell media strike a deal with NBC News, I just heard something on NT 1010 saying they now carry NBC News.

The relaunch of NBC news radio through iHeart media (USA) actually started two years ago.
It may be that Bell media was just simply finishing off a contract with CBS before the change could be made.

Source: http://www.insideradio.com/free/nbc-news-returns-to-radio-with-iheart-tie/article_71c37dd2-4809-11e6-85f7-2f767970a622.html