sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 2, 2018 8:34 pm  #1

Rogers New “Ignite” TV Ad Is Very Peculiar

This is, admittedly, a bit of a nitpicking argument and it won't be the most important thing you read today. But the new Rogers TV ad for its Ignite service makes no sense at all.

If you haven’t seen it, it takes place in what appears to be The White House, complete with an American flag visible clearly in the background. A Rogers technician is apparently in the Oval Office and tells “Madam President” that she now has the power of ultimate TV in her hands, as she picks up the remote. The actress playing the leader clears the room, makes a snide remark about “power,” then turns to watch the screen.

So what’s wrong with this picture? In the first place, Rogers has no real presence in the U.S. and would never be used by anyone across the border, let alone someone residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Second, they’re clearly channeling “House of Cards.” But that’s a Netflix show and isn’t available from Rogers, unless you use their Internet connection to get it.

Why wouldn’t they place it in Parliament and have a “Madam Prime Minister” which would make much more sense? It’s certainly a strange spot, and while I rarely sit through an entire commercial these days, I watched this one just enough to see how little sense it makes. Although I doubt anyone else would really notice or waste time giving this any of the thought I did. 

December 2, 2018 8:41 pm  #2

Re: Rogers New “Ignite” TV Ad Is Very Peculiar

RadioActive wrote:

But that’s a Netflix show and isn’t available from Rogers, unless you use their Internet connection to get it.

That's the whole point,  RA. 

They are trying to convince us that spending even more (via Ignite) will bring this "special" content to us.

Like some others here,  I too will pass on Ignite,  however their marketing appears to be yet another retread of the old "if it's the latest,  you must want & have it".

PS   The Rogers Tech is exactly that.  He works in Durham Region and was selected after an internal country wide search.  The company flew him down to NY and LA to film the spots, (Metroland Media).

Last edited by Media Observer (December 2, 2018 9:58 pm)

December 2, 2018 9:31 pm  #3

The Ignite roll out seems to be a bust. 

December 2, 2018 11:48 pm  #4

cash wrote:

The Ignite roll out seems to be a bust. 

They need to stop wasting money on famous people and getting back to basics, like they should have done in the first place. 
What's paying for all those famous people to appear in TV ads anyway? 
The insane connection fee?

Hey Rogers! Get rid of the connection fee and reduce the monthly fee and then we'll talk about Ignite.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 3, 2018 9:26 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Second, they’re clearly channeling “House of Cards.” But that’s a Netflix show and isn’t available from Rogers, unless you use their Internet connection to get it. 

lol. If that's what they're doing, they are about 5 years late. Which they seem to be on most things.

December 3, 2018 9:42 am  #6

On the subject of Rogers and ads, what the hell is that woman singing at the end of their currently running radio commercial? "You can do more."  "You can get more?"  "You can be more?" Or is it something else? I've heard it dozens of times and still can't quite make it out. 

You'd figure a jingle singer's one job, beyond staying in tune, is to enunciate clearly. 

December 3, 2018 3:26 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

On the subject of Rogers and ads, what the hell is that woman singing at the end of their currently running radio commercial? "You can do more."  "You can get more?"  "You can be more?" Or is it something else? I've heard it dozens of times and still can't quite make it out. 

You'd figure a jingle singer's one job, beyond staying in tune, is to enunciate clearly. 

I have not heard the radio ad. 
"Make more possible." is what you should be hearing.
That's their latest...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 3, 2018 4:34 pm  #8

Wow, if that's what it's supposed to be, it definitely does not come through that way at all.

As for not hearing it, you will. It airs about every 10 minutes or so on just about every station in town.