sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 26, 2018 7:40 am  #1

GM Oshawa

There is a tv connection to the closing of GM Oshawa. Global Durham (Oshawa) local news only advertiser is GM. (At least on there web site). If GM also pulls there advertising on Global Durham, will this be the end for this station?. I have a hard time believing Corus will keep it open.

November 26, 2018 9:50 am  #2

Re: GM Oshawa

I also wonder what, if anything, this may mean for CKDO and CKGE-FM (aka 94.9 The Rock) and for Durham Radio overall.

I suppose both The Rock and KX 96 are a little bit more bulletproof - they reach Toronto with a pretty good signal. But the oldies at 1580 and 107.7 are limited in their range and they likely rely more on local ad avails than the others. Small town radio in general is already struggling. This surely won't help. 

November 26, 2018 9:55 am  #3

It's fascinating how everything revolves around radio.  It truly is the most important thing, ever. 

November 26, 2018 10:05 am  #4

Well, sarcasm aside, this IS a board about local radio. So it only seems appropriate to centre on that subject when there's peripheral breaking news that might affect it.  

November 26, 2018 10:31 am  #5

the closing of gm will impact the area... that's a given... but... gm has been downsizing for years. they now employ about 2500 (as opposed to 20,000+ back in the day). yes, suppliers will also be impacted but, in my opinion, durham region will survive (it's evolved into more than just a gm region). i live in the area and i know it well (and that includes the broadcast players). gm closing is very troublesome (especially historically) but not catastrophic. note: the only time gm spends a lot of  advertising bucks, with the local radio outlets, is when there's a strike and/or brief plant closure. they (gm) also pays "top dollar" for those announcements.

Last edited by the original hank (November 26, 2018 10:46 am)

November 26, 2018 10:47 am  #6

I call it the domino effect. One can find replacement ads, (maybe?) but if the people who would normally react to the ads no longer have jobs how does a radio business survive? 

November 26, 2018 2:25 pm  #7

true... and yes, 2500 is still a large amount of jobs... but... things would have been a lot worse if this happened when gm was employing 20,000 (and back when the region's economy wasn't as diverse). meanwhile, cp24 is having a field day with this. cp24 included a comment about how this could impact all of canada... to me, that's a bit of a stretch.

November 26, 2018 2:47 pm  #8

The effects of the GM layoffs may be felt as far away as CKNT in Mississauga and 89.7 Port Hope. 

November 26, 2018 4:24 pm  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

The effects of the GM layoffs may be felt as far away as CKNT in Mississauga and 89.7 Port Hope. 

Considerably farther than that.

November 26, 2018 4:53 pm  #10

Australia doesn't manufacture any cars anymore. It got tired of the blackmailing from the car companies. Corporate welfare doesn't work. So buzz off GM and and any other companies with their hand out to the government. 

November 26, 2018 5:34 pm  #11

the more i think about it... durham radio might indeed be greatly impacted by all this. gm corporate uses the oshawa airport a lot. meanwhile, durham radio is located at... the oshawa airport. could the oshawa airport survive without gm's business? i'm just sayin'.

November 26, 2018 7:01 pm  #12

The naming rights for "The GM Centre" in downtown Oshawa are going at a discount now.

November 26, 2018 7:31 pm  #13

Did Global Durham disappear with out anyone noticing. I have not checked them out for a long time. Tonight I checked out there website and could not find any local content, no local staff listed as working at the station.
It was not long ago when I saw Durham Transit buses with ads promoting the local show.

November 26, 2018 7:46 pm  #14

Dial Twister wrote:

The naming rights for "The GM Centre" in downtown Oshawa are going at a discount now.

That ship apparently sailed a few years ago. It's now called the Hallmark Centre, or Lifestyles Centre, or something.

November 26, 2018 8:58 pm  #15

2 years this month. it's now the "tribute centre". tribute is a home developer company.

November 26, 2018 9:00 pm  #16

Aytononline wrote:

Did Global Durham disappear with out anyone noticing. I have not checked them out for a long time. Tonight I checked out there website and could not find any local content, no local staff listed as working at the station.
It was not long ago when I saw Durham Transit buses with ads promoting the local show.

i believe they have a local sales staff... but good luck trying to find their contact information.

November 26, 2018 9:57 pm  #17

the original hank wrote:

2 years this month. it's now the "tribute centre". tribute is a home developer company.

I stand corrected. Distinctive branding there. 

November 27, 2018 12:51 am  #18

Aytononline wrote:

What are they currently airing @5pm Monday-Friday? 
https://globalnews.ca/pages/global-durham-schedule/

November 27, 2018 9:19 am  #19

Dial Twister.  GM dropped their name; from the centre almost two years ago.  It's now called something else.  Can't remember what.

November 27, 2018 9:25 am  #20

Tribute Communities Centre.

November 27, 2018 11:09 am  #21

John D wrote:

Dial Twister.  GM dropped their name; from the centre almost two years ago.  It's now called something else.  Can't remember what.

I guess that was an omen for what was coming, John.