sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2018 1:37 pm  #1

The Reason You Didn't See Ken Shaw On CTV News At 6 Tuesday

It's because the veteran CTV Toronto anchor is being inducted into the Canadian News Hall of Fame, an entity created by the Toronto Press Club. But he's not the only one. The former news director of CFTR, the great Robert Holiday, will also be inducted during the same ceremony. 

I don't know much about who will be there for Ken, but I've learned through the grapevine that there will be a number of well remembered Toronto radio names there to honour Bob. Former TR and City TV reporter Jeff Ansell will give a tribute speech, and former news staffers like John Wilson, Elaine Loring, Mike Katrycz, Vic Rauter, Randall Stevens and Evelyn Macko will also be there. I've heard there's a chance Larry Silver may make an appearance as well. 

Congratulations to both broadcasters. I have to admit I didn't know we actually had a News Hall of Fame, but both are well deserved honours.

November 20, 2018 2:12 pm  #2

Re: The Reason You Didn't See Ken Shaw On CTV News At 6 Tuesday

Young, Zelda passed over again?

November 20, 2018 2:13 pm  #3

It's the News Hall of Fame, not Shame!

November 20, 2018 11:26 pm  #4

Robert Holiday was teaching radio news at Humber when I was in my second year there. I believe it was his last year before retiring in 2006 after at 16 year stint at the post-secondary institution.

I am quite certain that he had fallen out of love with the idea of sharing his wealth of knowledge with the new generation of broadcasters, based on his reaction to our particular class.

At one point, mid-way through the semester, he had clearly had enough of our shit.

There were many in the class who didn't want to be there (parents' money well spent!), and they made that apparent with their attitudes toward the course content, and Mr. Holiday himself.

They also decided that group cheating on a test while Mr. Holiday had stepped out of the class was the best way to earn his respect and admiration. Cheating. On a college radio news test.

When he realized that corners had been cut, he understandably lost his temper, at a moment when the class was awash in loud chatter from the students.

"Shut the FUCK UP!!!!!"

Instant silence. I think one snowflake even started tearing up.

He went on to berate the whole class (and rightfully so), explaining the opportunity we were wasting and the importance of broadcasting. He also suggested that anybody who truly did not want to be in that class should leave immediately. I don't think any of us moved an inch!

I regret that our class was likely the lowpoint in his tenure as a professor.

Mr. Holiday, if you're reading this (I doubt you are), please know that some of us in that class were very interested in what you had to share with the class, and were grateful for time you spent with us.

November 24, 2018 9:58 pm  #5

I rarely listen to Ryan Doyle, but during a spot break on 640 Friday, I tuned over. And while referring to CTV (Bell's) Ken Shaw being inducted into the News Hall of Fame, he also mentioned Bob Holiday, telling this amazing story. 

He said he was one of Bob's students when he was going to Humber College and he was doing what a lot of radio students did - dogging it, not really taking the whole thing seriously. That's when Bob stepped in, endlessly calling him just "Doyle" and telling him to get his act together if he was serious about broadcasting. And then he urged him to apply for the internship at CFRB. 

That's where "Doyle" got his start in the business and where he remains today as the afternoon drive co-host. And he admits he owes a lot of that to Bob Holiday.

I've heard a lot of stories like that one, all credited to this incredible man. He may be long gone from CFTR and the airwaves, but he's obviously had a lasting impact on the industry.

November 25, 2018 11:54 pm  #6

Ken was great to work with.  I enjoyed the pleasure of his company.  [just not often enough]  A 'pro'.
-------------------------
It sounds like a different attitude was somewhat evident some years after I attended the first 3 semesters of Humber's inaugural radio program.  Phil Stone along with Brian Spencer were the 2  who initially got the ball rolling there and most of us were pretty dialed in.  Johnny Stalll, Nancy Grant [Krant] and Rick Mickelwyn were just 3 others from that first bunch of hopefuls which came together in the fall of '71.  Sorry re: the spelling Rick.  By early '73 I was off to pursue the path.  [thanks to some great advice from guest speaker Barry Nesbitt.]  Phil and David made both a worthwhile and lasting impact.  It was time well spent [except for the ridiculous and mandatory psychology classes],  Never got the chance to work with Robert but I certainly enjoyed and respected his on-air work.  [a legend]

Last edited by Lee Marshall (November 26, 2018 1:55 am)