sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2018 10:55 am  #1

Feature request - add year to timestamps on this forum

Unless I am missing something, for some reason the dates are all shown without the year. Most of the time this is no big deal. But sometimes old threads come back to life, or if you are searching for something and come up with an old result, it is not clear just how old it is.

November 22, 2018 11:14 am  #2

Re: Feature request - add year to timestamps on this forum

It's a good idea and I've made the change. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have to say it's the first "date" I've had in a long time! (Well, I didn't have to say it, and now I'm kind of sorry I did...)

November 22, 2018 8:59 pm  #3

While we're on the subject of time, years ago I observed that the big yellow board's clock doesn't go forward every spring, and so for part of the year, like many VCR's, microwaves etc. the time on threads is incorrect.

It's not at all important really, but it can be kinda entertaining to see when people post, say for example 3am, and I wanted to mention the discrepancy.

For the next couple of months, the SOWNY clock will be correct. I cannot be the only one who has ever noticed this...can I?

November 22, 2018 9:09 pm  #4

betaylored wrote:

While we're on the subject of time, years ago I observed that the big yellow board's clock doesn't go forward every spring, and so for part of the year, like many VCR's, microwaves etc. the time on threads is incorrect.

It's not at all important really, but it can be kinda entertaining to see when people post, say for example 3am, and I wanted to mention the discrepancy.

For the next couple of months, the SOWNY clock will be correct. I cannot be the only one who has ever noticed this...can I?

nope.  me too.

November 22, 2018 9:27 pm  #5

You can actually change this for your own personal display if you really want to.

Just click on your name in any one of your posts. It will take you to a personal index page. About the third choice down is something called "Timezone Preference." There's a dropdown menu that allows you to adjust the hour you want to use to see the site. (Right now, most of us are on -05 EST) Hit "submit" at the bottom of the page and you're done. 

After the next time change on March 10th, 2019, you can adjust it to whatever you want. 

At least it's supposed to work that way. Let me know if it doesn't.

But after this brutal cold, I'm tempted to change it to Hawaiian time, so at least I can pretend to be someplace warm!

Last edited by RadioActive (November 22, 2018 9:29 pm)

November 23, 2018 12:27 am  #6

Coincidentally, earlier I noticed that a post I made today (from Ontario) was showing up as posted an hour later than I had entered it.  Realizing what was happening,  I opened up my "preferences" and manually changed my time zone status.

Having said and done this;  it is unusual for a webpage to not automatically update the E.S.T./D.S.T. time changes as they apply to previously entered registration information.

November 23, 2018 1:43 pm  #7

Thanks splunge, not surprised you'd notice

Thanks RadioActive for the info on how to adjust the time, but I think I'll leave it as is, I'm used to it.