sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2018 10:27 am  #1

A New Nominee For Most Unlistenable Radio Spot

It seems every few months or so, there’s a thread here about a radio commercial that’s so annoying, it deserves to gets publicly blasted. And now there’s a new one. I have no doubt you’ve heard it already, probably all too often.

It’s the one that has some idiot endlessly singing “Head’s Up!” while launching into a pitch for the sponsor. The problem is I have no idea who that sponsor is. The thing is so irritating that I can’t reach for the dial soon enough. It continually amazes me that ad agencies believe that making horrible spots is a way to stick in a listener’s mind. I can’t tell what they’re selling, because I’m gone long before they get to the crux of the message.

I’m glad whoever it is thinks buying time on local radio is a good thing. I just wish they’d find a way to connect that doesn’t drive you to a channel change.

Speaking of which, honourable mention in this category has to go to Tom of Tom’s Place – the clothes seller - an instant dial swapper for me. But this morning I was unable to reach the off switch in time and what I heard was simply jaw dropping.

John Moore had just related a terrible story of a prison guard in Kingston who lost his gun to a hospitalized inmate. The prisoner managed to get off a few shots, hitting the leg of a totally innocent patient in the next bed. (I can’t understand why the convict wasn’t isolated but that’s for another day.)

After relating how the wounded man will live but was badly injured, on comes Tom with this opening line: “As long as they didn’t hit the suit, John, as long as they didn’t hit the suit!”

It was in horrible taste and no matter where you draw the line, this went completely over it. Perhaps tomorrow, in a story on Toronto’s record murder rate, Tom can follow up this performance by assuring the audience that he has the most attractive suits for those victims to be buried in.

If nothing else, this proves how stupid it is to let non-radio people do their own live spots. In the end, they’re not doing themselves or the stations that air them any favours.

Head's Up, indeed.

November 20, 2018 12:59 pm  #2

Re: A New Nominee For Most Unlistenable Radio Spot

Speaking of spots, I just heard a radio ad for Amazon.ca's Black Friday sale. Has Amazon ever advertised on radio in this market before? Or on radio ever? With their already formidable marketing cIout, it's interesting that they'd take the plunge. 

November 20, 2018 1:27 pm  #3

LocalNewsGuy wrote:

While it doesn't fall into the category listed above in terms of obnoxious, I really can't stand the spots from Turco Persian Rug Company of Toronto that air on Classical 96 FM. The sponsor's rather annoying read, coupled with the clip-clop of horses' hooves in the background (designed to suggest I don't know what), makes me tune out the station whenever I hear it.

I think the horse SFX are supposed to represent the fact that the company has been around so long, it predates the automobile. 

November 20, 2018 2:10 pm  #4

Charlie wrote:

Speaking of irritating radio ads, while in Los Angeles last week for a few days, I flipped on the rental car radio, and the VERY FIRST thing I heard was a local radio host shilling for 'My Pillow', and the script was identical to the one read a hundred times a day in these parts by Stafford, Gurney, Turner et al.  There is no escape.

Not so long ago, I was listening to CKTB in St. Catharines and heard an ad for a real estate agent that I thought sounded very familiar. Turns out it was the exact same copy as the one used here for Frank Leo, supposedly the #1 agent in the known universe if you believe the spots. 

Only the name was changed, but otherwise it was almost word-for-word the same pitch. 

November 20, 2018 2:14 pm  #5

Any commercial with loud noises and sirens annoys me or jingles.  Also Alexanian furniture commercial.  SHE IRKS ME!.  

November 20, 2018 5:42 pm  #6

markow202 wrote:

Any commercial with loud noises and sirens annoys me or jingles   

Andy Devine was best of all Jingles

November 20, 2018 6:13 pm  #7

Whatever happened to their old tag line of spending like Santa and saving like Scrooge?

November 20, 2018 9:56 pm  #8

Charlie wrote:

...a local radio host shilling for 'My Pillow', and the script was identical to the one read a hundred times a day in these parts by Stafford, Gurney, Turner et al.  There is no escape.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/politics-2018-get-weirder-president-donald-trump-endorses-pillow-guy-north-dakota-rally-033221326.html

November 21, 2018 1:07 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Whatever happened to their old tag line of spending like Santa and saving like Scrooge?

They've decided to 'Scrooge' radio listeners with that god awful spot instead. ;)

November 21, 2018 2:42 pm  #10

Charlie wrote:

Speaking of irritating radio ads, while in Los Angeles last week for a few days, I flipped on the rental car radio, and the VERY FIRST thing I heard was a local radio host shilling for 'My Pillow', and the script was identical to the one read a hundred times a day in these parts by Stafford, Gurney, Turner et al.  There is no escape.

A couple of weeks ago I was quite surprised to see an article about the guy who owns "My Pillows" as the warm up act at Trump rally's. He get's them fired up before El Bloviator takes the stage.

November 21, 2018 8:55 pm  #11

After reading this thread, I'm even *more* aware of the less than stellar radio ads. As in the newish spot for Bingo lottery with the woman talking, leaving out one particular constanant on the copy as she spins a story ( pins a tory).

I've heard several versions so far.  it's creative, and depending on my caffeine level, irritating. The voice actor in me admires her read, (b)ut oh (b)oy if it was on more frequently, I'd be scrambling to change the station.

!?!: Perhaps Newstalk will start asking Tommy to pre-record his spots, it'd go a long, erm..a ways to making them more bearable.

November 22, 2018 3:33 pm  #12

I haven't heard this spot in a while. Maybe it's off the air. To me it was even dumber than "Heads Up" and revolting, racist and ignorant. It was that spot that was something more or less about saying in Spanish no to smoking pot and driving. Disgusting.

November 22, 2018 4:26 pm  #13

I don't know if there is a radio version,  however I am sick of seeing (and hearing) Tie Domi yelling at me to buy the comwave TV/internet package!

Last edited by Media Observer (November 24, 2018 2:16 pm)

November 23, 2018 12:15 pm  #14

Charlie wrote:

Just heard your commercial on the Oakley show (Arlene Bynon sitting in).  You're right, it is horrible.  Because of your post, I paid attention instead of switching channels.  It's for Canadian Tire Christmas shopping deals, not there's a hope in hell that it would ever convince me to consider going there, not that I have anything against Canadian Tire.

I just heard a caller on Tom McConnell's Vox Populi segment on CKTB complain that the "Head's Up" commercial was the worst thing he's ever heard on radio! So it appears we're not alone. (And no, it wasn't me on the other end of that phone!)

Edit: Just minutes after that call aired, they went to a spot break and I'll give you three guesses what the first commercial was. You won't need a Head's Up to get the right answer.    

Last edited by RadioActive (November 23, 2018 12:19 pm)

November 26, 2018 2:01 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Charlie wrote:

Not so long ago, I was listening to CKTB in St. Catharines and heard an ad for a real estate agent that I thought sounded very familiar. Turns out it was the exact same copy as the one used here for Frank Leo, supposedly the #1 agent in the known universe if you believe the spots. 

Only the name was changed, but otherwise it was almost word-for-word the same pitch. 

I was listening to WJR Detroit on Sunday when I heard a very familiar script. It talked about a local Motor City real estate agent that had a special selling program guarantee promising to sell your house within a specified time "or he will buy it."

That was followed by the story of a couple who were astounded by this guy's patented "selling system." And of course it concluded by advising you to hire this wizard "and start packing."

It was the Frank Leo spiel word for word and clearly the copy is being used in other markets beyond Canada and I suspect that, like My Pillow, the pitch is exactly the same in radio markets across North America. My only question now is who used it first and where did it originate?

November 26, 2018 1:22 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

That was followed by the story of a couple who were astounded by this guy's patented "selling system." And of course it concluded by advising you to hire this wizard "and start packing."

It was the Frank Leo spiel word for word and clearly the copy is being used in other markets beyond Canada and I suspect that, like My Pillow, the pitch is exactly the same in radio markets across North America. My only question now is who used it first and where did it originate?

The first time I heard it was Bill Carroll when he was still at CFRB. And he might have invented it. I remember him talking one time about how he liked to add value to the shills he would do. He claimed to have come up with the unique way of reading the telephone number for the Berkowits sons' renovation business. Home Improvement People or something. The last three digits were the same as the first three so he put a pause after the fourth one to give it a sort of rhythm. I vaguely remember him taking credit for the "start packing" line as well but I could be wrong.

November 26, 2018 2:07 pm  #17

Could Frank Leo be making more money licensing out his marketing pitch than he does selling real estate?

November 26, 2018 2:42 pm  #18

The appearance of Barbara Corcoran (Shark Tank), in local Frank Leo TV ads, tells me that she has monetized her influence in every region where she can convince a local agent to pony up the funds and stand beside her for a spot.

Nothing buys praise like (shall we say it like Kevin O'Leary would say it?) monnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnney.

November 26, 2018 2:52 pm  #19

I wonder how many of these "relationships" she has?

Oops...same dress and necklace. LOL.

P.S. I found at least 10 more before I got bored.

Last edited by Dial Twister (November 26, 2018 2:58 pm)

November 26, 2018 4:03 pm  #20

Corcoran....any relation to PostMedia asset Terry Corcoran?