sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2018 12:52 am  #91

Re: The Songs Oldies Radio Forgot

"When Jimmy Comes Home" by Sandy Selsie, from Richmond Hill. I heard this song once on the air, on a Sunday morning oh-wow oldies show in Owosso MI (Flint radio market) sometime in the 90s. Never on a Canadian oldies station, and never on CKWW where it would be a great add to their Sixties At Six hour --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEAh-sG__Bc

November 7, 2018 5:13 am  #92

TomSanders wrote:

"When Jimmy Comes Home" by Sandy Selsie, from Richmond Hill. I heard this song once on the air, on a Sunday morning oh-wow oldies show in Owosso MI (Flint radio market) sometime in the 90s. Never on a Canadian oldies station, and never on CKWW where it would be a great add to their Sixties At Six hour --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEAh-sG__Bc

Thanks for these latest picks. I'll be adding them today. Amazed at how interest is growing - I''m getting listeners from all over. The goal is simply to provide a sanctuary, if you will, from the 300-song playlist. Right now "Oh Wow" has double that with many more to come.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 7, 2018 8:21 am  #93

Last edited by DeepTracks (November 7, 2018 8:26 am)

November 7, 2018 10:47 am  #94

Last edited by DeepTracks (November 7, 2018 10:51 am)

November 7, 2018 11:20 pm  #95

I'm adding, or have added, many of these picks. Now at 600 songs with visitors from every inhabited continent.

Looking for French-language Top 40 songs that were popular in Quebec only.

November 7, 2018 11:49 pm  #96

Can't help you with the Quebec stuff and you may already have these, but here are two of the late Joe South's best.

November 9, 2018 10:33 am  #97

Last edited by DeepTracks (November 9, 2018 10:37 am)

November 9, 2018 12:52 pm  #98

many only remember "spirit in the sky" meanwhile i remember this one too...

Last edited by the original hank (November 9, 2018 12:53 pm)

November 9, 2018 1:06 pm  #99

as a kid, i bought the "daydream believer" 45 however, i ended up playing the "b" side a lot more than the "a" side. it soon became my favorite monkees' song. it didn't receive a lot of airplay (although it was aired on their tv show) but many "critics" gave it a big thumbs up. note: it's the only song they performed (yes i said they) where all of the members (of the monkees) received songwriting credits. btw, in later years, the song was/is always on the playlist of every monkees concert.  

Last edited by the original hank (November 9, 2018 1:17 pm)

November 9, 2018 1:44 pm  #100

Excellent suggestions today! I've started adding these latest tunes. Thank you SOWNY!

This thing is growing like topsy. Listeners from every continent, including over 1,000 in Canada. I'm quite amazed by thiis. More than 600 songs added so far.

https://live365.com/station/a68406

Last edited by Dale Patterson (November 9, 2018 1:45 pm)

November 9, 2018 2:16 pm  #101

here's a great song (from 1967) that has turned into a faded memory. 

Last edited by the original hank (November 9, 2018 2:17 pm)

November 10, 2018 7:21 pm  #102

this one made it all the way to #2 on the top 40 charts of 1962 (I haven't heard it on the radio in many decades... then again,  i don't listen to "zoomer radio").  it was one of my favorite instrumentals (as a kid)... i know... i know...i was a  strange kid. take it away kenny!...

Last edited by the original hank (November 10, 2018 7:22 pm)

November 10, 2018 9:07 pm  #103

the original hank wrote:

this one made it all the way to #2 on the top 40 charts of 1962 (I haven't heard it on the radio in many decades... then again,  i don't listen to "zoomer radio").  it was one of my favorite instrumentals (as a kid)... i know... i know...i was a  strange kid. take it away kenny!...

This tune will be familiar to shortwave enthusiasts as the interval signal/theme for Russian station Radio Mayak.

November 11, 2018 1:27 pm  #104

This one peaked at #33 in Canada in late '76/early '77. It rarely gets any airtime these days, but demonstrates Rod's great songwriting talent during the glam-rock era.

November 11, 2018 2:02 pm  #105

Close your eyes and remember the high school prom...a darkened auditorium with slowly revolving lights, your best girl in your arms, and this...

November 11, 2018 6:17 pm  #106

This 1959 offering by Toni Fisher was a great example of the ongoing transition from 40s/50s mainstream popular music to rock n' roll. It fits in either category and its "phasing" was unique for the era. If you've never heard it, listen more than once...

November 11, 2018 8:37 pm  #107

Last edited by DeepTracks (November 11, 2018 8:39 pm)

November 11, 2018 9:50 pm  #108

Dial Twister wrote:

This 1959 offering by Toni Fisher was a great example of the ongoing transition from 40s/50s mainstream popular music to rock n' roll. It fits in either category and its "phasing" was unique for the era. If you've never heard it, listen more than once...

Credit where it's due for the early use of phasing. Perhaps the best known use of the effect was when the Small Faces were getting high feeding the ducks with a bun at Itchycoo Park in 1967.

Am reminded of some other early pioneers such as the Beatles use of feedback on the intro to I feel Fine.

The distorted and almost fuzz guitar on this 1951 record:

The beloved fuzz guitar was a staple of many great garage rock bands but may have had it's first proper appearance on this country hit from 1961. Listen starting at around 1:30.

Last edited by Fitz (November 11, 2018 9:53 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 11, 2018 11:05 pm  #109

Two other firsts.

The Kinks actually were ahead of the Beatles in bringing  east Indian sounds to western music. Several months before Norwegian Wood featured the sitar they incorporated an Indian drone effect on See My Friends.

Telstar by the Tornados has has a futuristic sounding  instrument called the clavioline to give it that Sci-fi sound in 1962. The Beach Boys four years later on Good Vibrations were the first to use a proto- synthesizer called the Theremin.

Last edited by Fitz (November 11, 2018 11:06 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

November 12, 2018 2:01 am  #110

We all know all know the original... but don't forget, Otis did a GREAT version as well (the Youtube million + views proves I'm not the only one who digs it)!

Last edited by the original hank (November 12, 2018 2:01 am)

November 12, 2018 8:05 am  #111

the original hank wrote:

We all know all know the original... but don't forget, Otis did a GREAT version as well (the Youtube million + views proves I'm not the only one who digs it)!

Otis of course wrote and recorded the original version of Respect in 1964. That song also reached number 92 on a cover by Detroit garage band the Rationals and bubbled under in 1967 with a cover version by the Vagrants who included Leslie West on guitar. He later achieved fame as a member of Mountain who have already been cited on this thread:

Cool Airchecks and More:

November 12, 2018 9:51 am  #112

I'm also adding a radio history element to the station with the Rock Radio Minute:

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/rrsminute-armstrong.mp3

Last edited by Dale Patterson (November 12, 2018 9:51 am)

November 12, 2018 12:37 pm  #113

This one, from 1983, has it all. Modern day relevance, "listenability" and...well...Anne Murray. It could have been written this morning and would seem just as relevant as it was back then,

November 12, 2018 3:07 pm  #114

Dial Twister wrote:

This one, from 1983, has it all. Modern day relevance, "listenability" and...well...Anne Murray. It could have been written this morning and would seem just as relevant as it was back then,

WOW...I had totally forgotten this release,  but a flood of memories as I played it.

Your sentiments are dead on. 

November 12, 2018 5:07 pm  #115

"A LIttle Good News" has been added. My favourite Anne Murrray song.

November 12, 2018 10:26 pm  #116

Not sure if Dale has added any of Roger Miller's bizarre hits, which defied both country and Top 40 status. He was a lot more than just "King Of The Road" and was a very unusual performer. (I'm leaving out "You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd" and "My Uncle Used To Love Me But She Died," because the following four are even better...)

November 12, 2018 11:41 pm  #117

this one was made famous by the hit movie "easy rider"... plus it's "timely", here in canada.

Last edited by the original hank (November 12, 2018 11:42 pm)

November 13, 2018 8:09 pm  #118

I've got the wonderful marble-vinyl 33rpm "Alone Together" album, with its drop-down three-panel sleeve, by Traffic alumnus Dave Mason.

Almost never heard on the airwaves these days. There are lots of goodies on Mason's 1970 solo release, and here's one...

November 14, 2018 4:33 pm  #119

This one peaked at #7 in Canada, in 1985. Catchy little sumin' sumin'.

November 14, 2018 7:58 pm  #120

One of my favourites from August 1969. Duke Baxter, Everybody Knows Matilda
Also, anyone interested in the elusive Duke Baxter, here's an interesting article.
http://poparchivesblog.blogspot.com/2013/11/only-in-oz-16-duke-baxter-everybody.html