sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 25, 2018 12:06 pm  #1

Dan Shulman To The Rescue After World Series Radio Booths Lose Power

While I understand the pull of the Leafs and the Raptors, it always bugs me that the one station in town with the radio rights to the World Series only airs it in a (base) hit-and-miss way.

Game 2 was nowhere to be found in this market, with the Leafs playing Winnipeg Wednesday night and I had to tune into a less than wonderful signal on WMVP in Chicago. I know hockey is the priority for the Fan, but it’s too bad they couldn’t have farmed it out somewhere else.

Which is a long winded way of saying I missed the moment many are talking about today. There was a power failure in the radio booths of those doing the play-by-play of the game on ESPN, the Red Sox broadcaster and the Dodgers’ Spanish language feed. (The TV side was apparently unaffected.)

It came at a very dramatic time in the contest, with Boston loading the bases in the fifth inning. And that’s when ESPN Radio's Dan Shulman showed how savvy he was. He didn’t miss a beat, calling up master control on his cell and having them feed the audio out by phone until the problem was fixed.

Shulman, of course, provides play-by-play for the Jays home games during the regular season and I believe that with Jerry Howarth now retired, he’s the true shining star in that broadcast booth. He certainly came through this time when those around him were losing their heads.

Hopefully, some of his efforts in the next week will wind up airing here.    

World Series radio broadcasts lose power at worst possible time

October 25, 2018 5:18 pm  #2

Re: Dan Shulman To The Rescue After World Series Radio Booths Lose Power

RadioActive  there is an alternative to SN 590 for radio coverage of the World Series.  Buffalo's WGR 550 is carrying the ESPN Radio coverage;  as well, for those with Sirius XM, the games are on XM channel 89. I find that AM reception for any stations outside Toronto (including Buffalo) in newer cars is atrocious. There were some technical problems with the MLB international feed on Sportsnet TV last night (picture freezing & lost sound) so I wound up watching the Fox coverage for the last half of the game.  I agree that there is no reason why Rogers cannot arrange for the ball games to be carried on another Toronto station when 590 is not available.

October 25, 2018 5:24 pm  #3

Thanks, I'd completely forgotten about WGR. I'll give them a shot during the next FAN interruption - if the series lasts that long! 

October 25, 2018 6:47 pm  #4

https://tunein.com/espnradio/
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?s=espn

Last edited by Prod Guy (October 25, 2018 6:50 pm)