sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2018 9:17 am  #61

Re: The Songs Oldies Radio Forgot

fyshtalk wrote:

One hit wonder..Make Believe - Wind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EUmYXYAao

Great minds think alike! Make Believe was actually one of the first songs I added.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 17, 2018 9:25 am  #62

alangee wrote:

Here are a couple more great Canadian songs from the late 60's 

I Would Be the One - Kensington Market
When I Die - Motherload

Good suggestions both. Thank you!

October 17, 2018 9:33 am  #63

I believe Tony Orlando did the lead vocals for Wind. Here are some more rarely, if ever heard, songs from the 68/69 era. I Will Always Think About You and Things I'd Like To Say-New Colony Six, Nothin' But A Heartache-The Flirtations, Hot Smoke And Sassafrass- Bubble Puppy and from 1972, Hot Rod Lincoln-Commander Cody, Ressurection Shuffle-Ashton, Gardner & Dyke.

October 17, 2018 9:40 am  #64

Great songs all.. and with  Marijuana now legal in Canada how about  adding  Naturally Stoned  by Avante Garde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy8gkv3e0fM  Game show host Chuck Woolery singing lead....

October 17, 2018 10:46 am  #65

Belt Maker - McKenna Medelson Mainline https://youtu.be/_0UEFqlBVcQ - this song reminds me of Ren and Stimpy

and...the Bubble Puppy tune reminded me of Question of Temperature - The Balloon Farm https://youtu.be/_QGoHvgwxnw

Last edited by DeepTracks (October 17, 2018 10:50 am)

October 17, 2018 11:51 am  #66

From the late, great Cilla Black...

October 18, 2018 12:58 pm  #67

Dale, how about one from Lucille Starr? I heard Bob Laine intro it on a September 3, 1964 aircheck (1050 CHUM) on Doug's RockRadioScrapbook.ca website. Betcha don't have many songs in French on your list. 

October 18, 2018 2:54 pm  #68

Dial Twister wrote:

Dale, how about one from Lucille Starr? I heard Bob Laine intro it on a September 3, 1964 aircheck (1050 CHUM) on Doug's RockRadioScrapbook.ca website. Betcha don't have many songs in French on your list. 

I'll add that for sure. I would like to get more French-language songs that charted in Quebec.

October 18, 2018 3:43 pm  #69

Don't forget about her other hit. If anything, it was even bigger. 

October 18, 2018 4:08 pm  #70

RadioActive wrote:

Don't forget about her other hit. If anything, it was even bigger. 

From Dale's site...
"None of the hits, none of the time! The songs radio forgot - overlooked Top 40 tunes from the '50s to the '80s."

October 18, 2018 4:25 pm  #71

Ah, but one of the other criteria is that it doesn't get played on the radio anymore. I can't recall the last time I heard it anywhere. 

October 18, 2018 4:39 pm  #72

Here's few more....
Paul Peterson - My Dad

and his TV sister, Shelly Fabares...

not to foget, "My Transistor Sister"...

and their teacher...

My "Hat's Off Dale"...

and one to acknowledge the legalization of 'Bananas"

Last edited by DeepTracks (October 18, 2018 4:45 pm)

October 18, 2018 5:04 pm  #73

What can I say? I liked the Dave Clark Five, and NOT the Beatles

Last edited by DeepTracks (October 18, 2018 5:06 pm)

October 18, 2018 6:29 pm  #74

RadioActive wrote:

Ah, but one of the other criteria is that it doesn't get played on the radio anymore. I can't recall the last time I heard it anywhere. 

Touché 
This one never charted anywhere that I can find, but what a snappy little number from the Jamaican music scene in 1971.

October 18, 2018 7:18 pm  #75

And now for the ultimate question, which only Dale can answer.

Will Oh Wow succumb to the holiday season, and torture us by venturing into seldom heard Christmas songs? 

Second question: Considering what a small pool most commercial radio stations have to work with, are there any seldom heard Christmas songs?

And finally, do we start taking bets on what day Oh Wow finally goes to an "All Seldom Heard Christmas Songs" format?

October 18, 2018 7:43 pm  #76

I'd like it if stations with an oldie format used the CHUM Top 100 songs of the year (for the years that the format covers) as the basis for their playlists.  

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

October 19, 2018 12:30 pm  #77

Okay, CHUMbugs, top this one. 

October 20, 2018 12:36 pm  #78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8AeV8Jbx6M
I remember when this topped the charts!

October 20, 2018 4:11 pm  #79

A beautiful version.

Your reference to when it was on the charts,  brought back some memories.

October 20, 2018 7:48 pm  #80

June 1972 - when our second son was born.

October 20, 2018 8:27 pm  #81

57 years and counting...

October 20, 2018 8:48 pm  #82

From one of the best albums of the early 70s. This cut never gets enough air time.

Those of you unfamiliar with Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus, by Spirit, are missing a treat.

October 20, 2018 9:52 pm  #83

Noah was a local band from Trenton Ontario I saw perform many times in the early 70's. This track was aired on Chum . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Uq1mU1lSU&index=5&list=PLqNmYJNeKSx_yd6_0YsjpwXZAgJkssTKF

October 21, 2018 9:33 pm  #84

RadioActive wrote:

And now for the ultimate question, which only Dale can answer.

Will Oh Wow succumb to the holiday season, and torture us by venturing into seldom heard Christmas songs? 

Second question: Considering what a small pool most commercial radio stations have to work with, are there any seldom heard Christmas songs?

And finally, do we start taking bets on what day Oh Wow finally goes to an "All Seldom Heard Christmas Songs" format?

If I can find some '50s, '60s and '70s Christmas songs that aren't overplayed, I'll plug them in starting December 1.

October 21, 2018 11:16 pm  #85

Johnny Bower: "Honkey the Christmas Goose".

October 24, 2018 2:35 pm  #86

Hi Dale, will this link http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/ohwow-playlist.html ever be updated? Just curious

And, another quick question if I may?

Are you employing some type of randomizer sw program in playback of all songs submitted? I keep OhWow going in the background at my job and I keep hearing some 4~5,+more, times vs. never hearing 'others'.

I gotta tell ya', I wait impatietly to hear the songs played that I've submitted even though I can listen to them anytime I want. Weird eh?

Last edited by DeepTracks (October 24, 2018 2:45 pm)

October 24, 2018 8:18 pm  #87

DeepTracks wrote:

>> Hi Dale, will this link http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/ohwow-playlist.html ever be updated? Just curious

>> And, another quick question if I may?

Are you employing some type of randomizer sw program in playback of all songs submitted? I keep OhWow going in the background at my job and I keep hearing some 4~5,+more, times vs. never hearing 'others'.

I gotta tell ya', I wait impatietly to hear the songs played that I've submitted even though I can listen to them anytime I want. Weird eh?

Not planning to update that link; it was just because someone asked a couple of weeks ago.

The Live365 software is supposed to randomize songs and tunes should not be repeating. I'll look into it.

October 25, 2018 3:20 pm  #88

Dale Patterson wrote:

DeepTracks wrote:

>> Hi Dale, will this link http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/ohwow-playlist.html ever be updated? Just curious

Just added Moby Grape and the Turtles. Great suggestions!

>> And, another quick question if I may?

Not planning to update that link; it was just because someone asked a couple of weeks ago.

The Live365 software is supposed to randomize songs and tunes should not be repeating. I'll look into it.

October 25, 2018 4:54 pm  #89

Billy J. Kramer's 1965 rendition of this Bacharach / David composition preceded Dionne Warwick's by a year.

When's the last time you heard either one on the radio? Over to you Dale.

November 6, 2018 9:01 am  #90

Let's ALL keep this thread near the top of the SOWNY list 

Here's two more that fit the bill...

Last edited by DeepTracks (November 6, 2018 9:03 am)