sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 16, 2018 5:36 pm  #1

Weed The North: Does Anyone Remember Q107's "High Witness News?"

I'll be glad when Weed-ful Wednesday is over and done with and we can get back to talking about almost anything else. The subject of legalized pot, which starts at 12:01 on October 17 (why not 4:20?) has been overly covered on every talk radio and even some music stations for the past few weeks and months. Even the Toronto Star has had a ludicrous countdown clock on its site for what feels like eons.

Personally, I don't think all that much will change since people of all ages have been using the substance for decades. Making it legal won't really change anything. 

Having said that, I wonder if Q107 should bring back "High Witness News." My memory of this segment, which ran every weeknight on the station, is hazy. (And no, not because of pot use, simply because it was a long time ago and I wasn't a regular listener) but I wonder how many here remember this nightly pseudo-newscast. (I think it aired around 6 PM but I could be wrong about that.)

Back then, pro-drug broadcasts of any kind were strictly taboo and there were all sorts of commercials, campaigns, T-shirts, buttons, pamphlets etc. to spread the word about the dangers of using anything stronger than aspirin. So I was always surprised that Q was allowed to run this thing every night without any sanctions by the powers-that-be. 

Anyone here remember High Witness News? (Of course, the traditional wisdom is that if you can remember it, you never really heard it.) Was there any pushback on this feature at the time?