sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2018 3:42 pm  #1

Peter Shurman Reverses The Talk Show Method

Usually when Peter Shurman is on the air on 640, he's soliciting calls. But on Friday afternoon, he was making them.

Shurman's voice is on a robocall I just got tubthumping for the upcoming municipal election and urging those on the other end of the phone to cast a ballot for his prefered local candidate. He was, of course, the former PC MPP for Thornhill before he left politics. 

Interesting that a well-known radio presence is willing to lend his familiar voice to boost a fellow politico. 

October 12, 2018 3:55 pm  #2

Re: Peter Shurman Reverses The Talk Show Method

I should add that I let him go on for about 10 seconds, immediately interrupted him with my own opinion, then hung up on the recording and went to the next caller!

October 12, 2018 6:40 pm  #3

Which candidate ??

October 13, 2018 7:08 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

. . .  urging those on the other end of the phone to cast a ballot for his prefered local candidate

Preferred local candidate in Niagara-on-the-Lake or Toronto or Thornhill/Markham?

October 13, 2018 10:40 am  #5

Charlie wrote:

As long as he wasn't shilling for 'My Pillow' . . .

If he's commuting from N.O.T.L to Corus Quay and back, Shurman needs a scientifically-proven pillow that retains its shape and stays cool, in the immortal words of Lionel Richie, "all night long"

October 13, 2018 7:31 pm  #6

cash wrote:

Which candidate ??

Ms. C. wrote:

Preferred local candidate in Niagara-on-the-Lake or Toronto or Thornhill/Markham?

Actually, it was for Gino Rosati, who's running for Local and Regional Councillor in the City of Vaughan/York Region. 

October 14, 2018 11:15 am  #7

In (shurley) unrelated news, Corus Entertainment began trading at $4.44 in the shortened trading week and ended the week trading at $4.12.     Too bad Lou S. isn't around to comment

October 15, 2018 11:14 am  #8

Peter currently does his show from home, I am told; but again; from a good source, I hear he is moving back to T.O.

October 18, 2018 5:54 pm  #9

Well, that's interesting. Just got another robocall from Peter Shurman - but this time he was advocating for a different candidate than the one that originally prompted this thread! I wonder how many people he's shilling for in my riding?

October 23, 2018 12:08 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Usually when Peter Shurman is on the air on 640, he's soliciting calls...

That made me chuckle.
To me, Shurman's usual "method" seems to be to take a caller, cut them off after five or ten seconds and launch into another monologue until the next station break. The man loves the sound of his own voice.