sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2018 8:25 am  #1

106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

FPR ‘First Peoples Radio Inc.’ is proud to announce the launch of 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto and
95.7 ELMNT FM Ottawa at noon on Wed. Oct. 24th.

Website will be up on the same day so you have hear us everywhere.  www.elmntfm.ca

Toronto on air lineup 
Bob Magee (Morning Show)
David Moses (MOT – Moment of Truth) 11 am to Noon.
Andrea Rooz (Mid-Day)
Julian Taylor (Drive)
Janet Panic (Evenings) with ‘Panic in the Night’
Cathy Sobocan, David Moses.. News

Ottawa on air lineup
Aiden Wolf (Morning Show)
Kayla Whiteduck (Mid-Day Show)
Missy Knott (Drive)
Cody Coyote (Evening Show)
Shaun Malley and Caroline O’Neill.. News

Ops Manager and Content Consultant:  Dave Charles
Music Director: Luca Capone
IT/Engineer:  Glenn Prins
Production Manager:  Andrew Johnson
Image Producer:  Doug Thompson
Social Media Manager:  Bruce Barber
Creative:  Adrian Wallace
Traffic Manager:  Ann Pospischil
GSM:  Gary Murphy
National Sales Manager:  James Wansbrough
Marketing Consultant:  Naaz Jiwa

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

October 11, 2018 10:21 am  #2

Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

Well, at the risk of being politically incorrect, I have to say I'm impressed by the list. They didn't make the mistake of assuming that everyone associated with the station needs to be Indigenous. Instead, it appears they hired some great people, regardless of their backgrounds. It is hard to argue with Bob Magee in early drive (whom I'm assuming is the former CHUM-AM morning man) or behind-the-scenes pros like sometime SOWNY poster Doug Thompson or the equally great Dave Charles.

Perhaps the most important issue, though, is not making the same mistakes the former frequency occupant did, which led to them losing their licence in several cities. It's a tough market they'll be competing in. But in hiring people with some great experience, they might just make a dent here. I wish them luck.   

October 11, 2018 11:15 am  #3

Someday the CKAV story will make for a great book, but it is unfortunately politically charged as hell, and it's not my story to tell.   

When it was obvious that the CKAV stations were hopelessly lost, and probably about to lose their licences, a group of Broadcasters got together and offered, on a volunteer basis to help out as much as we could.  Offering production, scheduling, management, sales and any and all other advice and execution we could.  Unfortunately our 'life support' efforts were too little, too late.  The restaurant had sold far too many bad meals and made too many broken promises to remain in business.

I believe, had CKAV been able to fund the legal representation for their appeal they would have won at least a short reprieve and chance for the 'fixed' aspects of the COL to be recognized.  We were well on the way, meeting COL in most areas with the exception of local studios which was a budgetary impossibility at that stage.  The CRTC were wrong basing the performance of an entire network of stations on audio tapes from 6-9 months before a recovery mission had started, from one market, and had little to no proof of many of the accusations that Jean-Pierre Blais felt comfortable making.  But again.. water under the bridge, and to be honest the debts that had been incurred over the months and years were insurmountable by that stage of the story.

Having said that, during the existence of CKAV and till we offered to help get things at least somewhere close to back on track, there was breathtaking financial abuse on the part of upper management, but also on the part of CBC and others who rented tower space to AVR at ludicrous rates.  I don't know who initially negotiated the AVR contracts but they were absolutely taken for a ride.   To be honest, and of course hindsight is 20/20, anyone looking back can see the original model was critically flawed from the start.  There's just no way they could ever have generated enough in sales to cover the monthly transmission nut alone, never mind staff, upkeep, content etc.  Especially with the egregious upper management salary structure that was originally in place.

The CRTC also carry some responsibility as do the initial engineers because of the absolute shit broadcast patterns  in Toronto and Vancouver that were accepted, not to mention the COL commitments on spoken word.  Even a fresh humber radio graduate could have looked at the talk commitment and realized over 5 stations, out of the gate, this was a multi-million dollar proposition.   The CRTC should have used it's expertise to explain some of these braodcast basics before allowing the application to succeed, least of which looking for better frequencies and patterns.  Was it their job to do that?  Possibly not, but that's why 'hearings' are heard,  as opposed to just rubber stamping licence requests.  The CKAV applicants were, IMHO, failed by their peers.  Unfortunately in the early days I think people were more excited about getting a stick lit up than the geographic area the signal would end up penetrating.   Even secondary incomes using the SCMO couldn't be realized since the sub-carrier was only as good (okay a bit less) than the main one.  The CRTC also spectacularly failed in not auditing the very generous CCD contributions that were made over the years.  "Repeated requests for detailed accounts were not met with success' was where it was left.  Maybe CRA would have had better success at getting answers, but it doesn't matter now.  

The other issue as I've said pretty openly before was target market concentration.  Had these been AM frequencies with the ability to cover the province, rather than, in the case of Toronto, barely able to make it to the outskirts of the M postal code, the story would have been different.   During our 'life support' CKAV days one of the things we explored, but just didn't have the time to approach was FM re-broadcasters over specific parts of the province where the signal couldn''t be heard but definitely should have been.   Having scheduled the stations with 40% cancon and 8-12% indigenous music I'm acutely aware that there is some truly incredible music out there, and it can easily fit into a format that is acceptable to a very wide audience.   Maybe with their ongoing partnership with Corus, and the reach of Fresh in Hamilton and Big in Kingston, I wonder if the station could be rebroadcast on an HD sub-channel in those markets.  I believe it would then become a true force and beacon across the province.

For every bad issue that existed along the way, there were many real people putting their hearts, souls, time, money, talent..  everything (and more) into the original project to make it work.  Unfortunately there were others taking advantage of that at every step of the way.   As one person described it, it was like trying to bail out a leaking row boat, only to find someone sitting in the back seat with a bigger bucket, pouring water into it faster than it could be drained.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but knowing Dave Charles I also know how passionate he is about 2 very important areas that will make this work.  Making sure the indigenous voices are clearly represented, heard and woven into the overall broadcast fabric, not just there as a COL.  Also, importantly, they will be presented on a professional platform, executed and programed properly, that has a real potential to be profitable. 

I'm crossing everything I have that this works for everyone involved.  

October 11, 2018 11:21 am  #4

ig wrote:

FPR ‘First Peoples Radio Inc.’ is proud to announce the launch of 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto and

Website will be up on the same day so you have hear us everywhere.  www.elmntfm.ca

Toronto on air lineup 
Bob Magee (Morning Show)
David Moses (MOT – Moment of Truth) 11 am to Noon.
Andrea Rooz (Mid-Day)
Julian Taylor (Drive)
Janet Panic (Evenings) with ‘Panic in the Night’
Cathy Sobocan, David Moses.. News

Ottawa on air lineup
Aiden Wolf (Morning Show)
Kayla Whiteduck (Mid-Day Show)
Missy Knott (Drive)
Cody Coyote (Evening Show)
Shaun Malley and Caroline O’Neill.. News

Ops Manager and Content Consultant:  Dave Charles
Music Director: Luca Capone
IT/Engineer:  Glenn Prins
Production Manager:  Andrew Johnson
Image Producer:  Doug Thompson
Social Media Manager:  Bruce Barber
Creative:  Adrian Wallace
Traffic Manager:  Ann Pospischil
GSM:  Gary Murphy
National Sales Manager:  James Wansbrough
Marketing Consultant:  Naaz Jiwa

That's an amazing assemblage of talent there. Congratulations to everyone involved!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 11, 2018 12:20 pm  #5

Remember to include "fm" in their website address. 
If not, do they have any relation to these guys? https://www.elmnt.ca/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 11, 2018 12:47 pm  #6

ig wrote:

Maybe with their ongoing partnership with Corus, and the reach of Fresh in Hamilton and Big in Kingston, I wonder if the station could be rebroadcast on an HD sub-channel in those markets.  I believe it would then become a true force and beacon across the province.

Interesting idea. Fresh Hamilton would be a no-brainer; they could turn that on tomorrow. Big in Kingston is another matter -- who would pay for that? There's no incentive for Corus to otherwise turn on HD on that signal.

October 11, 2018 12:50 pm  #7

(or Cornwall for that matter) Big in HD may be incentive enough for them, I'm sure with Queens they could come up with some creative uses for the sub channels, and at the absolute minimum, with 2 FM's in that market, it would be great CRTC hearing at-a-boy stuff for them.  

RadioAaron wrote:

ig wrote:

Maybe with their ongoing partnership with Corus, and the reach of Fresh in Hamilton and Big in Kingston, I wonder if the station could be rebroadcast on an HD sub-channel in those markets.  I believe it would then become a true force and beacon across the province.

Interesting idea. Fresh Hamilton would be a no-brainer; they could turn that on tomorrow. Big in Kingston is another matter -- who would pay for that? There's no incentive for Corus to otherwise turn on HD on that signal.

October 12, 2018 3:54 am  #8

What are the actual call letters for the two stations?

October 12, 2018 9:08 am  #9

CFPT - 106.5 - Toronto - 2.600 watts
CFPO - 95.7 - Ottawa - 9,100 watts

Both stations have also been approved to operate HD channels.

October 14, 2018 6:54 pm  #10

ig wrote:

(or Cornwall for that matter) Big in HD may be incentive enough for them, I'm sure with Queens they could come up with some creative uses for the sub channels, and at the absolute minimum, with 2 FM's in that market, it would be great CRTC hearing at-a-boy stuff for them.  

RadioAaron wrote:

ig wrote:

Big in HD on its own isn't really anything. The sound quality difference is subjective, and would have no ratings impact in a market that's looking like it's moving to one book a year....and where the 2nd tier stations like Big have wild variations from book-to-book anyway. Sure, they could come up with something creative for a sub-channel, but they'd never be able to monetize it - not in a sales environment where their main radio signals are ALREADY a bonus add-on for buying TV. 

But yes; points with the CRTC makes sense. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (October 14, 2018 6:55 pm)

October 19, 2018 9:14 pm  #11

They are now testing their FM signal. Just heard it in the car.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 19, 2018 11:21 pm  #12

Gawd! As of this posting, the 106.5 signal sounds like I'm trying to pick up an out of market station on a cheap walkman while riding on a Via train. 
I'm not though. I'm at my home here in Toronto, listening to my stereo. 

Fitz wrote:

They are now testing their FM signal. Just heard it in the car.

Just letting you know it's not your car, lol 

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 19, 2018 11:24 pm)

October 20, 2018 12:48 am  #13

I wish my friends connected with this project nothing but an astonishing launch and plenty of ongoing, accruing street talk followed by truly shocking ratings success.

It's blast off time Magoo!!!  Blow 'em up real good.

Last edited by Lee Marshall (October 20, 2018 12:48 am)

October 24, 2018 9:31 am  #14

ig wrote:

We don't often get the chance to be an ear-witness to the birth of a new radio station in dial-crowded Toronto, so just a reminder that this one officially signs on at noon today if you'd like to listen.

October 24, 2018 1:56 pm  #15

Are they on air now [I can't hear them here]? Their web site is still blank

Last edited by andysradio (October 24, 2018 2:53 pm)

October 24, 2018 2:51 pm  #16

andysradio wrote:

Are they on air now [I can't hear them here]. Their web site is still blank

Their website doesn't seem to exist. And a Google search doesn't come up with much other than press releases and a few announcements about the station.

It's 2018. Website should have been up ages ago. Pretty lame as a kid could get a site up and running in no time.

edited to add....they do seem to be on Facebook and were "live" for a bit of a launch a few hours ago. 

https://www.facebook.com/1065-Elmnt-fm-332117793982903/

Last edited by Scraps (October 24, 2018 2:59 pm)

October 24, 2018 3:32 pm  #17

andysradio wrote:

Are they on air now [I can't hear them here]? Their web site is still blank

They signed on a few seconds after noon. Ironically, for a station that seems dedicated to music from the 80s, 90s and 2000s, their first song was from the 50s.

You can hear it and the sign-on around the 33:14 mark on their Facebook page video at the link that Scraps posted above. 

October 24, 2018 6:26 pm  #18

Listening now for the past 30 mins - pretty good selection of music - for about 15 mins I thought I was listening to CHUM as a similar playlist was going and its far better than CKNT because its AUDIBLE.

November 1, 2018 9:07 am  #19

I tried the station in the car again this morning and signal was still poor. Some interference from WYRK sporadically which I do not recall on the old station. WYRK was more or less wiped out but now with a directional antenna fans may still be able to tune in. That old signal while not great was quite a bit better. In order to get GTA wide ratings they will need to improve the signal.

In terms of format what I heard this morning sounds like a somewhat more eclectic version of a hot ac format with a bit of aboriginal content. 

Last edited by Fitz (November 1, 2018 9:07 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

November 1, 2018 9:29 am  #20

Fitz wrote:

In terms of format what I heard this morning sounds like a somewhat more eclectic version of a hot ac format with a bit of aboriginal content. 

Anyone know what percentage of aboriginal music their broadcast licence requires them to play?

November 1, 2018 9:30 am  #21

What am I doing wrong?  I hit the button for Listen Live; on their web site and nothing happens.  No Sound.

Last edited by AMFM (November 1, 2018 9:38 am)

November 1, 2018 9:45 am  #22

AMFM wrote:

What am I doing wrong?  I hit the button for Listen Live; on their web site and nothing happens.  No Sound.

I had to play a bit with the player that appears at the very top of the page, the player on the link below. The player takes a few seconds to load properly. They are playing the Black Keys right now and so I guess that takes us out of Hot AC

https://streamdb9web.securenetsystems.net/cirrusencore/CFPT

Last edited by Fitz (November 1, 2018 9:47 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

November 1, 2018 9:47 am  #23

AMFM wrote:

Look for an arrow beside "On now", after clicking Listen Live.

November 1, 2018 10:34 am  #24

They are being billed as "The Spirit of Toronto." I realize that has aboriginal connotations but I think they might be trying to revive memories of the Spirit of Radio. They also played the original version of Get Ready by the Temptations. Sounds like the most interesting terrestrial format in this area outside of the triple A content on CBC FM.

Last edited by Fitz (November 1, 2018 10:35 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

November 1, 2018 12:35 pm  #25

The playlist is not far from a CHUM FM type format.  I guess people just cant seem to stray away from the Top 40 nonsense.

Im loving Q107 right now.

November 2, 2018 6:32 pm  #26

WHY?

November 2, 2018 6:41 pm  #27

mikew wrote:

WHY?

Not enough Motorhead, natch.

November 5, 2018 10:22 am  #28

Scraps wrote:

Their website doesn't seem to exist. And a Google search doesn't come up with much other than press releases and a few announcements about the station.

It's 2018. Website should have been up ages ago. Pretty lame as a kid could get a site up and running in no time. 

Their site is now up and running, complete with the full list of personalities, frequently played artists and news, mostly focused on Indigenous issues.

Elmntfm Toronto

February 5, 2019 12:46 am  #29

Maybe 106.5 was not the best frequency for this new station or they need an increase in power. The last couple of days reception has been intermittent with WYRK Buffalo drowning out their signal as close to downtiwn as Yonge and 401. And appears they’ve turned off their HD. Doesn’t seem to be helping much.

February 5, 2019 10:59 pm  #30

<<<As for a change of site location, it would be interesting to explore relocating a number of stations to The One at Yonge-Bloor. This is a top tier condo and it's doubtful they'd be open to an unslighly antenna topping off their prestigeous building.>>>

I like the centrality of that location. I wonder what the condo association could charge, overall, for rent. Why would anyone living there care what's on top of the building. OTOH, would close proximity to the transmitter(s) hamper reception in that building's units, either of signals directly overhead or signals from off-site?