sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2018 11:21 am  #1

Thunderboomers

I've sometimes heard the term 'thunderboomers' used on air to describe thunderstorms. Can we put a stop to this?

October 10, 2018 11:32 am  #2

Re: Thunderboomers

I'm guilty of that.  It was just meant to be playful now and then

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 10, 2018 2:35 pm  #3

NO. We can not put a stop to this. People are reacting to radio ads better when they hear the word "Thunderboomers". 
This is not as effective on a station like 680 news though, where it is expected that simple proper English is always in use.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 10, 2018 3:18 pm  #4

i always thought Thunder Boomers were people who liked storms and listened to AM 740.

October 10, 2018 6:21 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

NO. We can not put a stop to this. People are reacting to radio ads better when they hear the word "Thunderboomers". 

LOL

October 10, 2018 6:37 pm  #6

Jody Thornton wrote:

I'm guilty of that.  It was just meant to be playful now and then

Nothing to be sorry about.

October 10, 2018 7:28 pm  #7

I try not to zone out during weather reports because it's usable news. So terms like 'thunderboomers', 'snowmageddon' and yes, 'humididex', when taken with a grin and grain of salt, keep me alert and informed. Not everyone's taste, but I'm no meteorologist. Just someone who wants to know how much to layer up when I head out. The added entertainment is a bonus.

Thx Jody!

Last edited by Lentil (October 10, 2018 7:29 pm)

October 10, 2018 7:54 pm  #8

Excuse me, I must board my whirly-copter. I'm off for a few rounds of whacky-ball.

October 10, 2018 9:24 pm  #9

Chrisphen, good topic.  At the risk of creating a whole 'nother thread (see what I did there), zero degrees celsius is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Same with less voters, instead of fewer voters.

There are a bigger amount of clouds, instead of more...you get the picture.

October 10, 2018 10:35 pm  #10

@lentil ... my first pd nailed me for saying "minus 4 degrees below zero" and he was right.  i was 15 and learned a valuable lesson about proper use of language.

That said, "thunderboomers" is cute if it's a one-off intended to be whimsical and not an element of a formal newscast.