sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2018 8:38 pm  #1

Live Ads During Radio Play-By-Play Getting Taken To Extremes

I've often wondered while listening to the Blue Jays this season (and given the season they had, I wasn't listening a lot) how many ways there are to sell those "brought to you by" mini-spots in the middle of the game. They already sell the name of the broadcast booth, the out of town scoreboard, the "how can they win" segment and I think they have a "call to the bullpen" sponsor. 

But it turns out The Fan  and Sportsnet have nothing on some other broadcast rights holders. Take this great article from the L.A. Times, about how - in their quest to sell every possible piece of a game - it's now been taken to almost satirical extremes. 

Like on the Dodgers broadcast: 

"It starts with a cleaning service when introducing the umpiring crew (and the sound effect of a broom whisking off home plate). There are also ones for a Dodgers home run (“that trip around the diamond” brought to you by a local jeweler), a caught-stealing play (a security alarm system) or someone sliding into a base (the OUE SkySlide in downtown L.A.)."

Oh and did we mention that somewhere in there there's a game going on? 

"...I’ve always thought about doing a mock baseball game where every single event in a game is sponsored by someone — ‘That’s ball two, brought to you by …’ ” said Nick Nickson, the Kings’ Hall of Fame radio play-by-play man."

But it's not just baseball and, as the article makes clear, they've ruined many a poignant sports moment.

Radio and TV broadcasts take advertiser tie-ins to new heights 

October 9, 2018 8:48 pm  #2

Re: Live Ads During Radio Play-By-Play Getting Taken To Extremes

On a funny note... I once approached a client who I knew well to ask him if he wanted to sponsor the "Sudden Death Overtime"... He was a funeral director... He laughed (I knew he would) but we both agreed we could never pull it off

October 9, 2018 9:06 pm  #3

last season one of the curling broadcasters featured "the best double double takeout" of the game, sponsored of course by tim hortons.  that made me chuckle.  as popcan suggested, the best ones are humourous twists on the old "brought to you by XX" trope. (great idea for the funeral home!)

October 10, 2018 7:28 am  #4

When I did PBP in the Alberta Jr league for the Camrose Kodiaks the first period was sponsored by the Camrose Church of God. I tried to convince the pastor to use the lines EVEN GOD LOVES THE KODIAKS or CHRIST !! WHAT A HOCKEY GAME but he settled on JESUS SAVES....BUT THE KODIAKS SCORE ON THE REBOUND !

Last edited by BARKSBITES (October 10, 2018 7:31 am)