sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2018 9:33 am  #1

Documentary on WKBW radio's 'War of the Worlds' to premiere this fall

From The Buffalo News:

"In the KB version, [Irv] Weinstein played himself as Channel 7's anchor and was "killed" by a Martian heat ray atop Buffalo City Hall as he covered the fictional alien landing. 

[Jeff] Kaye was the WKBW program director and played himself. He "died" on Main Street of poison gas.

On Halloween night ... the original WKBW radio program will air on WWKB 1520 AM and 97 Rock will air its 1998 production of "War of the Worlds."

On the same night, WECK radio will air the original 1938 Orson Welles' "War of the Worlds program" about Martians invading Earth that inspired WKBW's version 30 years later."

Documentary on WKBW radio's classic 'War of the Worlds' to premiere this fall

I'm not sure exactly what this new doc will have, but there has already been one done by the same guy.

Here's the KB original:

October 9, 2018 4:06 pm  #2

Re: Documentary on WKBW radio's 'War of the Worlds' to premiere this fall

The debut of the documentary referenced above is finally here - it will screen on Oct. 30th in a local Buffalo theatre, followed by a few airings of the classic KB War of The Worlds. Details are in the article below for those in the Queen City, but I certainly hope this documentary eventually ends up on YouTube. (I can't see it being a long term revenue maker and I assume it was something of a labour of love in any case.)

There are a lot of great interviews in it - including Buffalo broadcasting legends Sandy Beach, Dan Neaverth, John Zach and Jim Pastrick just to name a few, and it includes old footage of the late Jefferson Kaye. And it was the show that originally "killed off" the now late Irv Weinstein. Many of them are featured in the trailer below.

Documentary screening, multiple 'Martian invasion' broadcasts mark WKBW Radio's 'War of the Worlds' 50th anniversary celebration