sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2018 7:59 pm  #1

Alexa Radio Commercial Undergoes A Major Copy Change

I wonder if anyone else noticed this. There's a semi-annoying radio spot that's been running on every station for Alexa, the Amazon personal assistant. For the past few weeks, a guy asks the machine, "Alexa what can you do?" It responds with several items, with the last one being "control your lights." 

But the way it's pronounced on air, it sounded every time to me like "control your life."

And really, who wants that?

So I was somewhat amused to hear what sounded like the same ad on Wednesday night, but with one major change. Instead of the old line, Alexa now tells us she can give you the latest sports scores. (Which considering some Toronto teams, is still pretty frightening!)

It would appear I wasn't the only one who heard the original spot the wrong way.    

October 3, 2018 8:42 pm  #2

Re: Alexa Radio Commercial Undergoes A Major Copy Change

Still bemused by the willingness of people to place an open mic in their home...all while being worried about security.

October 3, 2018 9:59 pm  #3

Well, I just heard it again - and this time, the control your lights bit was still in there. Still sounds like "control your life" to me, and frankly, it gives me the creeps. 

I'm not a tinfoil hat wearer by any means, but there's no way I will ever install one of these spy units in my home. I'll turn on my own life - er, lights, thanks very much. 

October 3, 2018 10:41 pm  #4

I took a dislike to the ad because he says "Alexa I love you". The delivery's awkward, and sounds as if the voice actor was figuring out just how to say the line (admiringly? / boyishly? / plainly?) and no wonder he floundered.. what a dumb line for a 2018 radio commercial.

It was a shabbily written, and executed ad from start to finish.

Last edited by betaylored (October 3, 2018 10:43 pm)

October 3, 2018 11:34 pm  #5

Dial Twister wrote:

Still bemused by the willingness of people to place an open mic in their home...all while being worried about security.

what a great statement!

October 4, 2018 3:42 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Well, I just heard it again - and this time, the control your lights bit was still in there. Still sounds like "control your life" to me, and frankly, it gives me the creeps. 

I'm not a tinfoil hat wearer by any means, but there's no way I will ever install one of these spy units in my home. I'll turn on my own life - er, lights, thanks very much. 

Well put and you are not the only one who feels this way;  when it comes to these electronic "assistants".

October 5, 2018 7:36 am  #7

Alexa also a hot topic, updated daily, in SHERMAN'S LAGOON in the Red Star paper